• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Eagles Farewell Concert Tour in Hawaii 2005

Originally posted by Pomai
    A review of the concert by the Honolulu Advertiser:
    Eagles put on a classic show

Chad writes a good review for being JUST A KID!

I liked Jdub's warm up in the Weakly because he flat out tells us the old geezers don't need to do interviews. Well done for what you didn't get to work with Jdub!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Re: Peaceful Easy Feeling

I think the Eagles are lame.

I just watched the Cream Reunion and that was good.

Comment

Originally posted by Lalalinder
        I think the Eagles are lame.

I just watched the Cream Reunion and that was good.

I watched that about a month ago with a couple of guys at work. The Cream reunion SOUNDED good, but come on! Maybe because we see Eric Clapton more than the others that he didn't seem so old. But tell me you didn't think the drummer looked as though he had an oxygen tank hooked up to him somehow? Just kiddin' but whew!

I think the Eagles are lame because of how much these tickets cost in Honolulu. They priced me out. Expletive them!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
          But tell me you didn't think the drummer looked as though he had an oxygen tank hooked up to him somehow? Just kiddin' but whew!
          That would be Ginger Baker, the frequent Oahu visitor. He always goes out and plays POLO at Mokuleia, then jams afterward with some friends! Does that once or twice a year.

http://starbulletin.com/2002/04/14/business/story1.html

Blaine
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Re: The Eagles Farewell Concert Tour in Hawaii 2005

A review of the concert by the Honolulu Advertiser:
            Eagles put on a classic show
            And the Star Bulletin's review is at http://starbulletin.com/2005/12/01/f...s/story06.html .
            Both reviews seem to complain that there wasn't much improvisation and that the music was almost too perfect. The reviewers apparently were unaware (or forgot, though I suspect it's the former instead of the latter) that Don Henley has a reputation of being arguably the biggest perfectionist in the music biz. It's a compulsion for him to ensure that there's not a single mistake in any Eagles concert. Henley is well-known as an unforgiving taskmaster in that regard. Woe be to any musician who misses even a single note. That's why Jamie Winpenny got it right in The Weakly when he wrote that "concertgoers can expect to hear all of those gems delivered flawlessly." That's just Henley for ya.
            Take another look at their Hell Freezes Over video, which was their first live concert after a multi-decade layoff. Flawless. Absolute perfection.
            And on a slightly different note (no pun intended), you've gotta love Glenn Frey's introduction of one song last night, saying "I'd like to dedicate this to my ex-wife, Plaintiff."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I think the Eagles are lame because of how much these tickets cost in Honolulu. They priced me out. Expletive them!
              Okay, this same comment has come up several times in this thread and in letters to the newspapers. I'm pretty sure I addressed it before, but here's my comment on it:
              The Eagles themselves have nothing to do with ticket prices.
              They are insulated by several layers of agents, accountants, managers, publicists, and more. Their agent (I believe it's still the legendary Irving Azoff) sets the amount for their performance fee, then it's up to the concert promoter to set the ticket prices they (the promoters) want, to cover their expenses and, presumably, show a profit. So folks should throw expletives at the promoter, not at the Eagles.
              Concert promotion is a business, folks. It's not a charity. And in business, you charge what the market will bear, right? And all four of the Eagles concerts sold out even at those high ticket prices, right? So, where's the beef?
              And here's another facet of all this. The Eagles themselves (and any other major band) make far more money from the sale of t-shirts and other items than they get from their performance fee. Typically double the performance fee. The bands have licensing rights to all that merchandise that you (and I) buy from tables outside the concert halls, and that, dear friends, is the real moneymaker for the band(s).
              Jimmy Buffett has become a multi-zillionaire, but he hasn't had a hit song since "Margaritaville" three decades ago. Never won a Grammy award. Thanks to his fanatically loyal fan base, the Parrot-Heads, Jimmy has been in the Top 10 list for concert gross income almost every year for those past decades. But all that concert money is just a small fraction of what he earned from the licensing rights for the t-shirts, Parrot-Head hats, etc etc.
              Hopefully this helps explain things. And I'll repeat myself:
              It's up to the concert promoter to set the ticket prices.

Comment

Jimmy (and the Eagles and more and more artists now as well) also puts out his own albums (CDs as the kids call them today ). The business side is really changing for the artist.

But, god how I hate the Eagles.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                  Okay, this same comment has come up several times in this thread and in letters to the newspapers. I'm pretty sure I addressed it before, but here's my comment on it:
                  They are insulated by several layers of agents, accountants, managers, publicists, and more. The Eagles themselves have nothing to do with ticket prices.
                  The Eagles hire these people, Lika Nui. What you say is correct. How much do you think these guys get out of every ticket? So then expletive the promoters. Wasn't there a group years ago suing Ticketron or something like that because they were getting very little per cost of expensive ticket? I choose to vote with my $ and they don't get it.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I'm happy with my Melbourne Farewell Tour DVD. I like the Eagles enough to watch it at home, but not enough to shell out substantially for concert tickets.

Now Pink Floyd, well that's another story. Damned the greedy promoters or group themselves. Bring the concert here and I'm there!
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I choose to vote with my $ and they don't get it.
                      Ditto.

I'm happy with my Melbourne Farewell Tour DVD. I like the Eagles enough to watch it at home, but not enough to shell out substantially for concert tickets
                      I think I'll eventually buy the DVD that was discussed a few messages back. I seen it being played on one of those big Sony TVs at Shirokiya not too long ago. To me this would be a better way to see the Eagles "live" without having to shell out the big bucks. Plus I can watch it over and over again, just like with my Hell Freezes Over DVD.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I watched that about a month ago with a couple of guys at work. The Cream reunion SOUNDED good, but come on! Maybe because we see Eric Clapton more than the others that he didn't seem so old. But tell me you didn't think the drummer looked as though he had an oxygen tank hooked up to him somehow? Just kiddin' but whew!

Yeah.....it's much better to look good than to sound good....not that the Eagles look much better than Cream. There is no comparison between these two bands and I am very sorry now that I mentioned them in the same breath. Travesty!!

Comment

Well I think the Eagles put on a great concert, how many bands can you say that 4 members (Henley, Frey, Walsh, Schmitt) of the band can sing on hit songs? Not too many that I can think of offhand. It was well worth the money I thought, this is what their 3rd appearence in Hawaii since 1976, I'm sure they will come back one more time due to the success of the Blaisdell shows similiar to that of Journey with or without Steve Perry.

The Eagles played nearly ALL of their hit songs, only songs offhand I think they did not cover were Victim of Love and Best of My Love.

They played for nearly 3 hours, they even had a intermission which I think surprised the crowd too.

Don Henley sang some of his solo hits like Dirty Laundry, Sunset Grill, Boys of Summer and All She Wants to Do is Dance.

Joe Walsh did solo stuff like Life's Been Good and Rocky Mountain Way as well as James Gang classics like Funk49 and Walk Away.

For whatever reason Glenn Frey did not sing any of his solo records. He had a full backing sax quartet behind him so they easily could have covered some of his sax-related songs like Heat is On, The One You Love, You Belong to the City, etc. He has had a decent solo career, much better than Walsh's has and he just did not play any of his solo stuff!? He claims he cant hit the high notes anymore but I dont have any complaints Glenn you did just fine by me.

If I didnt have committments on Saturday I would have gone to the Eagles again, it was a fantastic show, one of the best concerts I have ever been to
                          and I've been to alot over the years.

I wish we could get a new concert type venue built on Oahu that would basicially serve concerts only. Phoenix has several of these at times they have so many good concerts that you cant decide which venue to see them play at. I wonder if we could get a venue built if it would increase the likelihood of other artists and bands performing here on stopovers to and from Australia or Asia.

But some people think building these venues for music only is dumb and a waste of taxdollar money......

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                            Yep. See Erika's article today at http://starbulletin.com/2005/12/11/business/engle.html .

Comment

Working...
                            X