Top Hawaii Albums of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top Hawaii Albums of All Time

The Honolulu Advertiser's Wayne Harada weighs in on the CD version of the Honolulu magazine "50 Greatest" list:
    With just 17 selections extracted from the purported 50 best albums of all time (named in a recent Honolulu magazine cover story), this compilation is somewhat limited. Moreover, what's included is mostly archival material from Mountain Apple. Thus, if you rely on the cover image, you'd expect (but won't find) Auntie Genoa Keawe, Don Ho and Gabby Pahinui... This CD serves as a prelude to a TV special. Our take: A gentle and lilting trek down memory lane; perhaps another volume of other "greatest" will augment the exclusions here.
    So, is there a TV special in the works, or is he just saying it's the inevitable next step in recycling this (admittedly worthy) list?

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      I still have mine on LP--haven't listened to it in twenty years or so, but I'm hanging on to it for when I finally get the stuff I need to do a decent CD copy. I'll be sure to pass one along if I ever do it.

There's an instrumental on that album called "Pignose Under Glass," a guitar solo that was pretty good. I never understood the title until I got into guitar playing much later. A Pignose is a portable battery-powered guitar amplifier.
      I made a CD copy from an unopened cassette tape that I bought from Jelly's a few years back. I have 2 copies of Shnazz on LP too. Someday I will make another CD copy off the LP. You can do it if you get Griffin Technology's iMic device and connect it between your Mac and turntable/amplifier system. It allows you to make half decent digital copies off analog sources. Great for copying stuff that has never been issued to CD.

Years ago I roomed with a guy who was a musician... guitar player. He had a Pignose amp. That little thing can sure blast the rafters off your average house or dorm room. Loud little sucker for something that little. So yes, I understood what the song as about on the album. It even sounded as if it were recorded from a Pignose amp.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        The Honolulu Advertiser's Wayne Harada weighs in on the CD version of the Honolulu magazine "50 Greatest" list.
        The same article also reviews "Island Summer 60s & 70s ", which is a pretty good compilation of local radio favorites from a bygone era.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

KGMB TV is broadcasting a music special based on Honolulu Magazine's recent "50 Greatest Hawaii Albums" list. The show airs this coming Wednesday night, October 20 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Music from all 50 albums will be featured as well as rare footage, interviews and stories about the artists.

More details at the KGMB TV website.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Don't know how long they've been there, but on a whim, I did a search and found C & K's albums at the itunes music store.......

Comment

Any of the fine albums by SEAWIND. Pauline Wilson is a wonderful singer.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
                Don't know how long they've been there, but on a whim, I did a search and found C & K's albums at the itunes music store.......

eh.
                (if yer on da island...)
                try this:
                go down aloha tower wed or fri eve and buy the cd's. support Cuz Henry direct and have him autograph...

Comment

Top Ten Hawaiian Albums

10. Like a Seabird in the Wind- Olomana
                  9. Facing Future- Iz
                  8. Kahaialii- Willie K
                  7. Elua- Cecilio and Kapono
                  6. Vanishing Treasures- The Hawaiian Style Band
                  5. Speaking Brown- Brother Noland
                  4. Gabby(brown)- Gabby Pahinui
                  3. Guava Jam- Sunday Manoa
                  2. Kalapana II- Kalapana
                  1. Kalapana- Kalapana

These are my favorites what are yours? I'm talking about a record that you can never live without.
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

Re: Top Ten Hawaiian Albums

early Sons of Hawaii.
                    anything with Moe Keale

Comment

Working...
                    X