Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pick a song for the radio

Originally posted by scrivener
    One of my two favorite recordings of "Hi`ilawe" is by Owana Salazar, whose recent recording of it is a medley of that song and Jimi Hendrix's "Waterfall." It's beautiful, and a really great idea! I know she's a bit older than me, but man, I find her very, very sexy.
    My co-host, Manono, met and hung out with her when Manono was at her most recent Kamehameha Schools reunion; apparently, she's an absolutely charming woman, as well as being beautiful and talented. She performed in Seattle about three years ago, and I've always kicked myself for missing that show.

Good suggestions, scrivener (and everyone else) --- keep feeding the beast for a few more days; the more I get to choose from, the better.

Comment

A couple more days - anyone else want to suggest something?

Thanks, everyone, for your ideas and comments. Many of these have been old familiar songs that we play from time to time, but you've also sent me in search of some (to me) unfamiliar choices - that's the real treat I get from this.

See you on the radio show on March 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio

A couple more days - anyone else want to suggest something?
        Sure, how about "Ke Aloha O Anna" by Palolo from their Hawaiian Girl CD.

Comment

From the In Harmony CD by Pali

1. Ua Lilo I Ko Aloha

2. Island Days

3. Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua (with Aunty Genoa Keawe)

Because Pali is my long time net bud and I'm his artist.

The first two are originals written by Pali, a love song in the Hawaiian language and then a song in english about coming back home to the islands after being away for a long time and missing it. The third because they were so honored that Aunty said yes she'd sing with them and so scared they'd mess it up....then so amazed with her, Pali told me "She's a human metronome!" her skills were impeccable.

{edit = unlike my speeling...bleh}

Comment

Re: Pick a song for the radio - REMINDER of broadcast

OK, as promised, here's a reminder ...

Hawai`i Threads on Hawai`i Radio Connection - I'll be playing many of your suggested/requested songs on my KBCS radio show tomorrow, Saturday, March 4, mentioning who from HT chose which song. (The on-line request line is now closed, btw; can't add any more.)

You can listen to the program in Hawai`i (or anywhere else) live, March 4, between Noon - 2 pm Pacific Time (10 am - Noon in Hawai`i) at the station's website, http://kbcs.fm. In the Seattle area, it's on-air at 91.3 FM.

My co-host, Manono Aki McMillan, is a Kamehameha Schools graduate from Moloka`i, so she also has songs selected for the program (though she's going to incorporate some of your requests, too!) If you'd like to read about her, there's a profile at: http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/kpdec05.htm.

(I'm nowhere near as pretty as Manono, so there's no profile of me at http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/musichome.htm, but you can read some of my Hawaiian music reviews and stories there.)

Thanks for participating, and I hope you can tune in.

Comment

My co-host, Manono Aki McMillan, is a Kamehameha Schools graduate from Moloka`i, so she also has songs selected for the program (though she's going to incorporate some of your requests, too!) If you'd like to read about her, there's a profile at: http://www.northwesthawaiitimes.com/kpdec05.htm.
              Awesome write-up by Danny Kaopuiki.

Now how about having somebody update the Northwest Hawai'i Times website. It's March already, cunfunnit!

Comment

Good luck with the show, and mahalo nui for doing this!
                Unfortunately, I'll probably be away from the computer when the show airs, darn it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

[...]Thanks for participating, and I hope you can tune in.
                  Ok...I'm way untechier than I imagined! I can't figure out how to tune in! I have iTunes...couldn't get it to play the station. I have the Window Media Player for the Mac...host is unreachable. I tried Live 365...nuthin' happens! Waaaah...I wanna listen!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

Ok...I'm way untechier than I imagined! I can't figure out how to tune in! I have iTunes...couldn't get it to play the station. I have the Window Media Player for the Mac...host is unreachable. I tried Live 365...nuthin' happens! Waaaah...I wanna listen!!!
                    Hmmm...I dunno Sue, but all of the options on this page worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                      Now how about having somebody update the Northwest Hawai'i Times website. It's March already, cunfunnit!
                      The March issue is hitting the stands by this weekend --- which means it's time for the February materials to be posted (I would hope by the start of next week.)

Wish I could get March stories posted - I wrote several articles for this month's issue (on the Hoku controversy, the Grammy winners, and other short bits - I even did a blurb on the passing of bandleader Del Courtney, whom kimo55 mentioned recently.)

Comment

Hmmm...I dunno Sue, but all of the options on this page worked for me.
                        Yup! That's the page I was using too. It's a user problem...not a software or web site problem!

When I click on 'high' next to the iTunes icon, kbcs2.pls downloads to my desktop. I double click that icon and it ends up in my iTunes library. I click on it there and get a 'connecting' status bar...but it never connects. Ok all you Mac gurus, please tell this untechie tutu what she's doin' wrong!

Comment

Sue,

Copy this url:

http://kbcs.fm/kbcs2.pls

Then go to iTunes, type in Command-U (Open Stream under the Advanced menu.)

Paste the url into the window that comes up.

It should connect and start playing for you.

Blaine
                          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                            [...]It should connect and start playing for you.

Blaine
                            SMOOCH!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

SMOOCH!!!!!!!
                              Hala!! I going tell Nay-ten!

Comment

Hala!! I going tell Nay-ten!
                                Promise?