Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pick a song for the radio

Leo Lakio,

It's 3 a.m. on Saturday morning and I'm listening to your station via Internet stream. Your commercial for the Masters of Slack Key Guitar concert on March 31 just came on! Hooo! George Kahumoku and Cyril Pahinui in Seattle, plus halau! Sounds like a great show!

Blaine
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Aloha, Blaine.

It's about a half-hour before show time, and I'm actually nervous! I hope to get in as many requests as possible, but I don't know that I can get everybody's in - so I apologize in advance for those that didn't make the show today.

(Expect a "sons of Gabby" set for you, however.)

I'll be at that ki ho`alu show, likely as emcee. The dancers are from a halau led by another of our radio hosts, kumu hula Moodette Ka`apana (related by marriage to Ledward & Nedward and all them folks.)

Manono has just arrived, so it's time to go - enjoy, everyone!
      Last edited by Leo Lakio; March 4, 2006, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Mahalo nui, braddah Gregg, for fullfilling my request for "From A Dancer". Actually brought tears to my eyes.

Comment

Don't be nervous...have fun

Comment

My pleasure - MAHALO NUI LOA, all of you!

Comment

Hee...ya got the pronounciation right!

The name is Ojibwe...means NightHawk

Comment

Wow! Whatta great playlist, LL. If you could ever get permission from the artists to put together a compilation CD as a fundraiser for your station I'd buy several in a heartbeat. Is there a chance that you can easily (as in copy and paste) the list of songs and artists from those 2 hours here on HT?

I think you've made a celebrity out of Scrivener.

And a special mahalo for Pua Hone and the reference to my dad. Yesterday would've been his 88th birthday. I cried thru Pua Hone! I know I couldn't have listened to Aloha O`e but I thank you for touching on the back story to that song.

(psssst...don't tell anyone but Pop wrote many of the Looney Tunes 'toons. He didn't know the first thing about animating 'em...that I know of!!! Shhh...our secret, 'kay?! Oh, and I recently found out how he was hired.)

Comment

Wish I woke up in time for the start of the show , although I've gotta say that the show's ending was the best ending that I've ever heard!

Comment

Oh, man. I just woke up and missed the whole thing. I am truly bummed.

Leo, is there any way possible that the station would put up the show in podcast format so I can put it on my iPod and listen to it on my own clock?

Thanks so much for doing this, anyway. Awesome idea. And from the sound of the other comments, it came off very well.

Sorry I missed it.

Aloha,

Blaine

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                      Wish I woke up in time for the start of the show , although I've gotta say that the show's ending was the best ending that I've ever heard!
                      Lurkah! I'm listening to the ending right now. Did you happen to get the rest of the show?????

Blaine

Comment

Originally posted by zztype

Lurkah! I'm listening to the ending right now. Did you happen to get the rest of the show?????
                        Sorry brah I woke up a skosh too late to catch the very beginning.

By the way, Blaine, I did hear Leo play a Pahinui brothers set per your request.
                        Last edited by lurkah; March 4, 2006, 11:55 AM.

Comment

I missed the first part of it too, I was with my mom kinda keeping an eye on her while my bro and fam were at their kids gymnatic meet.

Comment

Aloha kakou ---

Wish I could fulfill the podcast request, but with copyrighted material, the station no can do. Manono & I usually record the show, but we actually didn't this time, because there was so much going on (phone calls, ticket giveaway, equipment "issues" (as the station is packing up and changing facilities this week!) Although the station does do a reference archive to mp3 files, so I should be able to capture that at some point in a few weeks...

I do have a playlist in Excel; if I can figure out how to get that here on HT, I'll post it.

Even though I'm not on every week, the show still is, so I hope you'll all catch it from time to time. I'm usually on the first Saturday of the month, but I will miss the April 1 show (taking an `ukulele class with David Kamakahi), and will do April 8 instead - fundraising time!

The other hosts are all great people (I'm the only one NOT from Hawai`i originally) --- Stephen "Braddah" Gomes (Kaua`i) created the show about 14 years ago, and was also one of the creators of our Northwest Hawai`i Times newspaper; his sister Suelyn "Kulina" and friends Cousin Clarice Martin (Maui) & Uncle Ed Tanaka (O`ahu) have been part of the show for almost as long; other hosts include the ones I've mentioned - Manono McMillan (Moloka`i) and kumu hula Moodette Ka`apana (Hawai`i), along with Rochelle delaCruz (Hawai`i), the other creator of the newspaper.

Comment

Here's the playlist from Saturday's show ---

Pandanus Club: Pili Mau Me Oe
                              Brothers Cazimero: Pretty Red Hibiscus

Gabby Pahinui: Hi`ilawe (1947)
                              Owana Salazar: Hi`ilawe/Waterfall

Na Keiki O Kamehamaha: Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono (co-host's set)
                              Raiatea Helm: Kauoha Mai (co-host's set)
                              Olomana: Ku`u Home O Kahalu`u (co-host's set)

Martin Pahinui: Hanohano Hawai`i
                              James 'Bla' Pahinui: Meleana E
                              Cyril Pahinui: Hurrah Lani Ha`a Ha`a

Jon - Randy - Steve: From A Dancer
                              Kalapana: Naturally

Daniel Ho: Slack Tides (under community calendar)

Makaha Sons: Mehameha/White Sandy Beach (co-host's set)
                              Ka`au Crater Boys: Kawika (co-host's set)
                              Sunday Manoa: Honolulu I Am Coming Back Again (co-host's set)

Edith Kanaka`ole: Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai
                              John Cruz: Shine On

Peter Moon Band: Guava Jelly
                              Ledward Ka`apana: Mauna Loa Slack Key
                              Brothers Cazimero: Pua Hone

Jake Shimabukuro: Me & Shirley T. (recorded live at KBCS, 10-1-05)
                              Pali: Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua

Palolo: Ke Aloha `O Anna

Comment

Aloha Leo!

..and more importantly, mahalo for playing Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua! It was truly an honor for us to perform that song with Auntie Genoa (and for all the folks on the island of O`ahu, I highly encourage those Hawaiian music fans to check Auntie G @ the Waikiki Marriott, Thursday nights--she's awesome!)...

Please drop me a line if there's anything I can do to help with your show (and if you like-please feel free to use any of our music).

Aloha, Mahalo & All the best,

Pali

Comment

Working...
                                X