X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pick a song for the radio

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    [...]
    The other hosts are all great people (I'm the only one NOT from Hawai`i originally) --- Stephen "Braddah" Gomes (Kaua`i) created the show about 14 years ago, and was also one of the creators of our Northwest Hawai`i Times newspaper; his sister Suelyn "Kulina" and friends Cousin Clarice Martin (Maui) & Uncle Ed Tanaka (O`ahu) have been part of the show for almost as long; other hosts include the ones I've mentioned - Manono McMillan (Moloka`i) and kumu hula Moodette Ka`apana (Hawai`i), along with Rochelle delaCruz (Hawai`i), the other creator of the newspaper.
    A quick glance at the station's web site shows that all of you are volunteers. Awesome!

Comment

Here's the playlist from Saturday's show ---
      [...]
      SMOOCH!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
        A quick glance at the station's web site shows that all of you are volunteers. Awesome!
        Awwww...thanks for noticing. Yep - community radio, nothing like it. After a twenty-year career getting PAID to do radio, I have a lot more fun now, as a volunteer.

KBCS is a very popular station in the area, too, as we play a lot of music you won't hear on other stations, including other public radio around here. There's a Brazilian show after ours, then Latin and Reggae, there's Hip-Hop, African, Native American, early jazz, bluegrass, Celtic - even a Medieval show, along with more "mixed-bag" folk and jazz, and public affairs shows (both local and national.)

"Hawai`i Radio Connection" is one of the most popular shows on the station, too - often bringing in more kala than any other program at fundraising time. (Which, I think, says a lot about the strength, solidarity and generosity of the Hawaiian/Pacific Islander community in the region.)

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
          SMOOCH!
          "Nay-ten" doesn't know where I live, do he?

Comment

Originally posted by Pali

Aloha Leo!

..and more importantly, mahalo for playing Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua! It was truly an honor for us to perform that song with Auntie Genoa (and for all the folks on the island of O`ahu, I highly encourage those Hawaiian music fans to check Auntie G @ the Waikiki Marriott, Thursday nights--she's awesome!)...

Please drop me a line if there's anything I can do to help with your show (and if you like-please feel free to use any of our music).

Aloha, Mahalo & All the best,

Pali

How weird. When I clicked on this post, my CD player had the song "Jungle Rain" playing on it. "Jungle Rain", by Pali.

Comment

Braddah Nay-ten, aka the Billy Goat of the Ko'olaus, will find you no matter where you live.

(now watch TutuSue swoom )

Comment

The weirdness will take over the world!!!

MWAHAHAHAH!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                  Braddah Nay-ten, aka the Billy Goat of the Ko'olaus, will find you no matter where you live.

(now watch TutuSue swoom )
                  DOUBLE SWOOOOOOOOOOM!

Comment

I keep hoping he knows where I live. I've been hoping for 10 years!

Comment

How weird. When I clicked on this post, my CD player had the song "Jungle Rain" playing on it. "Jungle Rain", by Pali.
                      Howzit!!!!

LOL!!! you da best!!! (and your CD playah is da best too)

Comment

Originally posted by Pali

Howzit!!!!

LOL!!! you da best!!!
                        Howzit brah! Mahalos! My wife tells me da very same thing! Every payday!

Seriously brah, that song "Jungle Rain", written by the late David Kupele of Kuliouou Valley where I'm from, takes me all the way back to the beautiful four-part harmony days of The Surfers and their nightclub gig at the International Market Place. Mahalo nui for breathing new life into that song once again. \m/

Comment

I've been away from HT for the past few days so I totally forgot about the show. Argh.

Oooh. You played the Owana Salazar medley. Cool. What did you say that made me an almost-celebrity?
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Seriously brah, that song "Jungle Rain", written by the late David Kupele of Kuliouou Valley where I'm from, takes me all the way back to the beautiful four-part harmony days of The Surfers and their nightclub gig at the International Market Place. Mahalo nui for breathing new life into that song once again. \m/
                            Howzit Lurkah!!!

..ah, mahalo my brother.. that song is, immortal.. My grand aunt, Ethel Ka`aihue, spoke very fondly of him-and how talented of a composer/songwriter and how wonderful of a man he was...

as for breathing new life, thank you... that means a lot. When we first started rehearsing the parts of Jungle Rain, we wanted to make sure it did the Surfers version justice, and that it honored David Kupele's composition. Mana`o Company also did a wonderful version... we had the honor of performing it with original Surfer, Clayton Naluai, at one of our concerts here. We've been so blessed to have his support and hope to work with him on the follow up to 'in harmony'

Mahalo again my brother, and for the record, my wife says the same thing, on the same day too (heh heh)

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                              Oooh. You played the Owana Salazar medley. Cool. What did you say that made me an almost-celebrity?
                              I mentioned that you made the cut for the "Jeopardy!" contestant pool, during auditions in Hawai`i last month.

Comment

Re: Pick a song for the radio --- TV followup

Rumor has it (I haven't been able to get this confirmed by the producers yet) that I will be on a Hawaiian TV show this week. My kumu hula and her partner produce a weekly series on Hawaiian/Polynesian culture in the Pacific Northwest, and they are doing a segment on the Seattle `Ukulele Players Association (SUPA). If they are "on schedule," it should air this week:

"There In The Islands"
                                Thursday 3/9 @ 8-8:30 pm HT
                                Saturday 3/11 @ 5:30-6 pm HT

KWHE-TV (Christian channel)
                                Ch. 14 on O`ahu & Hawai`i (Big) Island
                                Ch. 21 on Maui
                                On Hawai`i-based cable systems and Dish Network

Let me know if anyone catches this, OK?

Comment

Working...
                                X