Willie K or Amy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Willie K or Amy?

When Willie played Kapono's every Wednesday night 5 years ago, I attended with some friends religiously. Willie was fully into a blues/rock phase then and was phenomenal. So much so that one of my friends snuck in his MD recorder to tape the show. And NO, the beers we enjoyed did not make the music sound better that it was. Willie is the real deal. His renditions of SRV, B.B. King, and especially Hendrix tunes were blistering. This coming from a fan with an encycopedic knowledge of the aforementioned artists. I almost cried with his rendition of Santana's "Europa". He did a Robert Johnson medley on acoustic slide one night. He would usually end the evening with at 15 to 20 minute "Voodoo Chile", mixing in "Superstition", Lenny Kravitz' "Get Away", and even the Spinners' "Rubberband Man" into a strangely cohesive medley.

Especially thrilling was seeing the unknowing tourists who had no idea what they had walked into. Not to stereotype, but I recall an African-American couple being blown away, nodding and doing the "we're not worthy" salute to him, awestruck at the very strange sounds coming from the 300lb. Hawaiian in rubber slippers. He had hinted that he wanted to put out a blues rock/album, which unfortunately never happened. It looked like he may have seen rejoining Amy as a more profitable way of doing things, to which you can't fault him for.

Amy has a lovely voice, but if I hear sing that "Haleiwa" song one more time.....JK!

Comment

Robert Johnson?!
      Whootah. Willie, da man.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
        Since we're at it... Willie K or, you know, The Diva?
        Both very talented so it's just a matter of taste. I love the range of things that Willie does brilliantly. Is it true that the K stands for Kalikimaka?

Peter F

Comment

Originally posted by kumukulanui
          Both very talented so it's just a matter of taste. I love the range of things that Willie does brilliantly. Is it true that the K stands for Kalikimaka?

Peter F
          K actually stands for Kahaiali`i.
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
          X