• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2006 Hoku nominees announced

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    Not quite, mi amigo. The Album of the Year listing says:

" 'E," Natalie Ai Kam Sean Na'auao, producer

which smashes a few too many lines together, creates a wrong impression, and misses an album altogether. It should read:

" 'E," Natalie Ai Kamau'u (Keko), 'Iolani Kamau'u, Natalie Ai Kamau'u and Dave Tucciarone, producers

"He 'Olu," Holunape (Roy Sakuma), Holunape and Charley Lukela, producers

"Ka 'Eha Ke Aloha," Sean Na'auao (Poi Pounder), Sean Na'auao, producer
    You do realize that I'm not writing the stuff--and barely reading the stuff--when stripping it out of the newspaper layouts, right?

I have it fixed to your call as of right now. (I got a correction request from John Berger in the interim for the Holunape and Na'auao albums, but he missed the messed up Ai album listing.)

If anybody spots stuff like this in the future, send me an email and I'm all over it. Don't wait until I discover it here on HT. You can find my email under my profile or on my home page linked below, or you can send to webmaster@starbulletin.com. Send me the url to the page where you saw the error and detail the problem.

I'm constantly checking all my email accounts, but stop by here to read only occasionally, and further may miss your posting if it gets buried or if I'm really busy.

Mahalo for letting me know.

Blaine
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
      If anybody spots stuff like this in the future, send me an email and I'm all over it. Don't wait until I discover it here on HT. You can find my email under my profile or on my home page linked below, or you can send to webmaster@starbulletin.com. Send me the url to the page where you saw the error and detail the problem.
      Will do; actually, I should have sent an e-mail to Berger, shouldn't I?

Comment

The Na Hoku Hanohano Awards ceremony will be broadcast at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow (Wednesday, May 31) on KFVE, live from the Hilton Hawaiian Village.
        Kapono Beamer, Hapa, Kaumakaiwa Lopaka Kanaka'ole, Sean Na'auao and Aaron J. Sala lead the pack this year with six nominations each.
        The awards show will also be streamed live on www.k5thehometeam.com and rebroadcast on KFVE at 10:30 p.m. Sunday.

Their website it http://www.nahokuhanohano.org/ and the full list of nominees is at http://www.nahenahe.net/hara/NaHokuFinalBallot06.pdf .

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
          The Na Hoku Hanohano Awards ceremony will be broadcast at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow (Wednesday, May 31) on KFVE, live from the Hilton Hawaiian Village.
          Kapono Beamer, Hapa, Kaumakaiwa Lopaka Kanaka'ole, Sean Na'auao and Aaron J. Sala lead the pack this year with six nominations each.
          The awards show will also be streamed live on www.k5thehometeam.com and rebroadcast on KFVE at 10:30 p.m. Sunday.

Their website it http://www.nahokuhanohano.org/ and the full list of nominees is at http://www.nahenahe.net/hara/NaHokuFinalBallot06.pdf .
          A friend of mine needed a date and I graciously accepted! I'll be there!

Yay for an excuse to get my hair and nails done!
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

2006 Hokus being Streamed on Internet

Originally posted by LikaNui
            And before a certain well-meaning but misguided person chimes in, I'll point out that yes, we noticed that Danny Couch got a nomination for best Christmas album.
            Glad you missed me! but I don't see any of you SMART GUYS privy to this info!

The Hoku Awards are TOMORROW Wednesday May 31st and TV K5 will be broadcasting it live starting at 7:30pm and this year it will also be streamed via the internet for the first time. K5 The Home Team presents the 29th Annual Na Hoku Hanohano Awards live from the Hilton Hawaiian Villages Coral Ballroom. The Na Hoku Hanohano Awards is Hawaii's version of the Grammy Awards. Find out who will be the 2006 Favorite Entertainer of the year-voted on by the public. Other categories of interest include Album of the Year, Group of the Year, Male and Female Vocalist of the Year, and more! Be prepared to be entertained by some of the best local talent in the music industry. The show will be broadcast live Wednesday May 31, 2006 from 7:30PM to 10:PM HAWAII TIME. A re-telecast will be aired Sunday June 4, 2006 from 9:30 PM to 1200 AM. The show will be live streamed over the internet at k5thehometeam.com! http://www.k5thehometeam.com/Global/story.asp?S=4763584 Now all can watch whether in Hawaii or on the Mainland!

Comment

Re: 2006 Hokus being Streamed on Internet

Originally posted by dcfanaddicts
              but I don't see any of you SMART GUYS privy to this info!
              Ummm... post #18 in this thread?

I heard about it a couple of weeks ago from one of the HARA guys... but it wasn't a big deal to me, since I'll just turn on my television and watch it that way.

Comment

Re: 2006 Hokus being Streamed on Internet

Originally posted by dcfanaddicts
                I don't see any of you SMART GUYS privy to this info!
                Presumably by now you realize that you were wrong, as PaloloJoe also noted. I/we gladly accept your apology.
                And by the way, you're not the only one who receives press releases about Hawaiian music from HARA and the record companies. They're sent out by the hundreds.
                Just in case you didn't know.

Comment

Da Winnahs!!!

It's nice to see the Hokus going to artists with vision and originallity. After reading the list of winners this morning, it was nice to see real artists won and not a bunch of wedding singer coverbands that is called "local" music nowdays.

Well done Hoku voters!
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

Re: 2006 Hoku awards

I thought it was an extremely boring show. And at 3-1/2 hours it was way too long, as easily evidenced by the number of empty seats every time the cameras panned to the crowd. The show should be no more than 2 or 2-1/2 hours at most, but they have a history of being long, so it likely won't change. Heck, for a couple of years they did the show over two nights. Ugh.
                    The audio was bad, with many technical problems (microphones not working, monitors out, etc.) and the audio mixing was bad as well. Quite often a lead singer would be almost impossible to hear, while a background singer was far louder; ditto for instruments. Couldn't miss the number of times various performers threw looks over at the sound mixers next to the stage, and several incidents of musicians leaning over to talk to the mixers right in the middle of a performance. Technical problems are the worst thing for what is supposed to be Hawai`i's showcase music awards show.
                    Performance-wise, the highlights were Nathan Aweau's mind-boggling bass solo at the very beginning of the show (before Barry chimed in), and the beautiful voice of Natalie Ai Kamau`u (she won Female Vocalist Of The Year).
                    Overall, no surprises, nothing new and exciting, and no really outstanding performances (other than the two noted above). I taped the show, but will probably never watch it.
                    It was a complete 'yawner.'

Comment

Re: 2006 Hoku awards

Amusing that in John Berger's column today, the only thing he found interesting about last night's show was that there were ties in two categories, and he points out it's the first time that's happened.
                      That was the lead-in for his story, and it was also pretty much the entire story of last night.
                      I'm sorry I stayed up for the show.
                      Last edited by LikaNui; June 1, 2006, 02:36 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

I'm glad Hapa won Album of the Year. Their song "Haleakala" sure is catchy (the Hawaiian version of one of those spaghetti Western theme songs? ). I'm listening to the "Maui" CD right now. Sweet.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Interesting comment on Keola's blog at nahenahe.net, where it is written:
                          "Quick thoughts - a somewhat uneven night, at least from watching on the tube. The sound was OK for some performers and absolutely atrocious for others. I feel for Sean Na‘auao - his performance was completely sabotaged by the guys running sound."
                          As was also noted here earlier.

Comment

since i dont know where to post this, i'll ask here...to get a Hoku nomination, how does that happen? do you just need to have a CD out and them someone in the industry nominates you in?

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
                              since i dont know where to post this, i'll ask here...to get a Hoku nomination, how does that happen? do you just need to have a CD out and them someone in the industry nominates you in?
                              Individual artists and record companies can submit their products for consideration by HARA members, following certain qualification criteria; quoting here from HARA's materials: "Only entries created, produced, and/or engineered; recorded by a local resident artist, musician, or technician, released during the eligible year; and primarily distributed in Hawai'i are acceptable for nomination (non-resident entries qualify only in the genre categories, Hawaiian, Contemporary, Anthology, Christmas, etc.)."

All recordings deemed eligible are then on the first ballot sent to HARA's voting members, who can select up to five choices in each category. The top five vote getters in each category become the nominees, and members then choose one selection from the nominees in each category, on the second ballot. Obviously, the one with the most votes on this ballot becomes the winner.

Nominees and winners in certain categories are selected by special committees of experts in specific areas (the "adjudicated" categories). These include Engineering, Graphics, Liner Notes, Hawaiian Language Performance and Haku Mele. The general public gets to vote in the Favorite Entertainer category.

Comment

thanks for the reply LL...i thought somewhat to that effect although not that detailed.

Comment

Working...
                                X