Remakes/remixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remakes/remixes

During the peak of the 80's metal era, Udo Dirkschneider of Accept collaborated with a metal band named Raven and did a cover of Steppenwolf's BORN TO BE WILD. At the time I thought it was pretty cool, but now that I listen to it..

MP3 Sample
    *Warning: Lower volume before clicking.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
      Heh. Actually, I do.
      Gotta go with Bowie this time.
      Can't figure you out Leo. I thought you would go the other way on this and "love rollercoaster".

Time to bring out the big guns..... BTW, I am all over the map on this on purpose

Hurt- NIN or Johnny Cash?

Venus- Shocking Blue or Bananarama?

I Will Survive- Gloria Gaynor or Cake?

Suspicious Minds- Elvis or Fine Young Cannibals?

Landslide- Fleetwood Mac or Smashing Pumpkins?

Thank you for playing but I got one more and it is a doozy............

ANY Bob Dylan Cover
      Last edited by nachodaddy; June 22, 2006, 01:03 PM. Reason: forgot one!!!!!
      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
        Can't figure you out Leo. I thought you would go the other way on this and "love rollercoaster".
        Heh-heh-heh - remember, I've worked my whole adult life in the music business, so my tastes are all over the map, too.
        ANY Bob Dylan Cover
        I liked tikiyaki's comment:
        Originally posted by tikiyaki
        Pretty much any Dylan song is better when done by someone else...to ME anyway.
        I used to feel that way about Johnny Cash - I describe his voice as "the only singer I knew who SPOKE off-key." (Apologies to the dearly departed musical genius that was Johnny Cash.)
        Hurt- NIN or Johnny Cash?
        Venus- Shocking Blue or Bananarama?
        I Will Survive- Gloria Gaynor or Cake?
        Suspicious Minds- Elvis or Fine Young Cannibals?
        Landslide- Fleetwood Mac or Smashing Pumpkins?
        Either one; Bananarama; neither one; Elvis - just barely; Fleetwood Mac (you probably could have predicted that.)

Comment

Thanks for playing Leo;

Here are my answers and why.

Johnny Cash- even though I used to have hair like Trent. Cuz of the timing between his and June's death.

Bananarama- cuz I heard it first as a remake

Cake- cuz any group that can rock a tuba gets my vote.

FYC- cuz I heard it first as a remake

Fleetwood Mac- easy. Lindsey's right hand.

I did not know that music was your profession, just thought it was a hardcore hobby. Way OT- but what do you, as a music professional, think of the mash-up phenomenon? I got my take, curious of yours being in the biz and all......

I'm a chemical enginer if you want some of my professional advice, BTW. No, I will not show you how to make meth. I get that request a lot. Mostly as a joke, I think.

Comment

Way OT- but what do you, as a music professional, think of the mash-up phenomenon? I got my take, curious of yours being in the biz and all......
            I'm a chemical enginer if you want some of my professional advice, BTW.
            I've always enjoyed when creative folks shake up their art by doing something no one else has done before, especially when the technology evolves along with it. I can imagine folks using the music software programs and going "yeah, that's fine, I know I can do this and that...but what if I do...THIS?," followed by some actions that aren't ever going to be anywhere in the manuals. It appeals to the iconoclast in me, the part of me that 're-frames" the world as I observe it, which gets tougher to do as I get older.

The legal issues get tricky, of course, because they always lag behind the creative process - so the legal minds need to become more creative and less corporately structured in order to catch up. Unfortunately, they tend to represent the interests of the record companies, not the individual creative artists, so head-butting will occur, thus slowing down the progress some more.

These days, it's fascinating to see how the worlds of chemistry and cuisine have been mingling - everything from Alton Brown's "Good Eats" show, to Shirley O. Corriher's "Cookwise" book (which I highly recommend to you, for the food-science aspects), to the restaurants that experiment with unusual edible compounds. Remakes/remixes/mash-ups you can eat!
            Last edited by Leo Lakio; June 22, 2006, 02:44 PM. Reason: the final frontier

Comment

Leo;

You already confirmed what I know already, nice to see a view from the "inside". Mash-ups will stay underground until the infrastructure allows them to be accepted by the mainstream. Then, something else new will be underground.

You are very fortunate to do what what you like. My job is boring, easy and pays well. Not necessarily in that order. I have to look outside my job to make life interesting. Thanks for being a part of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                During the peak of the 80's metal era, Udo Dirkschneider of Accept collaborated with a metal band named Raven and did a cover of Steppenwolf's BORN TO BE WILD. At the time I thought it was pretty cool, but now that I listen to it..

MP3 Sample
                *Warning: Lower volume before clicking.

LOL...I was a MAJOR Accept fan back in the day, and had seen Raven a few times....yea....silly stuff. Then again, most of the 80's was pretty silly musically, and to me, alot of what came out in the 80's just doesn't hold up the way the rock of the 60's and 70's does.

I always have one thing to say with regard to the 80's...

Kajagoogoo...

'nuff said :-)
                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

My job is boring, easy and pays well. Not necessarily in that order.
                  so, it pays easy, is well boring?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    Ooh, a syntaxtically ethereal conundrum, if ever there were one.
                    Or sumthin.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55

Yes Kimo, well boring is easy pay.

Comment

LOL...I was a MAJOR Accept fan back in the day, and had seen Raven a few times....yea....silly stuff. Then again, most of the 80's was pretty silly musically, and to me, alot of what came out in the 80's just doesn't hold up the way the rock of the 60's and 70's does.

I always have one thing to say with regard to the 80's...

Kajagoogoo...

'nuff said :-)
                        Most people will swear the music of their "era" was the best ever. I work with quite a few people who will agree with you completely.

Personally I disagree about 80's rock being silly, musically. Some of the most musically-educated guitarists thrived during the 80's, including the late Randy Rhoads, Joe Satriani and Eddie Van Halen. All of whom have roots in classical, as well as blues.

While each one certainly had influences from 60's and 70's pioneers such as Jimi Hendrix, they took the guitar to a whole nother level with progressive leads, riffy rhythm and the advancement of guitar design & electronics during the 80's.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I forgot to mention 70's disco.... NIGHTMARES!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Most people will swear the music of their "era" was the best ever. I work with quite a few people who will agree with you completely.

Personally I disagree about 80's rock being silly, musically. Some of the most musically-educated guitarists thrived during the 80's, including the late Randy Rhoads, Joe Satriani and Eddie Van Halen. All of whom have roots in classical, as well as blues.

While each one certainly had influences from 60's and 70's pioneers such as Jimi Hendrix, they took the guitar to a whole nother level with progressive leads, riffy rhythm and the advancement of guitar design & electronics during the 80's.
                            Well...the funny thing is that the 80's WERE kinda my era. That's when I started playing in bands, and most of my 20's were in the 80's....

I was a big Randy Rhoads fan, but he died too early. I liked Joe Satch, but I listen to it now and it just sounds so....80's!

Eddie VH was great too, but all the imitation of his style, attitude, sound etc made guitar in the 80's really homogonized. When Eddie did it, it was amazing, and totally groundbreaking. I remember hearing VH1 for the first time shortly after it came out, and thinking "Eruption...how the HELL does he do that ?". I saw that first tour of their when they opened for Black Sabbbath (who were on their last legs, as far as the OZZY years were concerned) and they killed. Eddie and DLR were the new prototype for rock...the new and improved Plant and Page...bigger, better faster, more fun etc...

But then came George Lynch, Warren DeMartini and a host of others who were great players, in really cheezy bands...and THAT sound became THE SOUND OF CHEEZE.

Then THOSE bands were imitated, and it just kept devolving. So it became the bands that were influenced by bands that were influenced by bands that were influenced by Van Halen....by the time the 1980's ended, Metal Edge Magazine was filled with "C level" metal bands like Southgang, Kik Tracee, Slaughter etc....and EddieVH's great pioneering became a curse, because EVERYONE souded like him (or tried to)

Hey, I know, because I did alot of imitating myself back then....only for me it was bands like Quuensryche, Accept and Iron Maiden that were my sources of inspiration...

By the time 1988 rolled around, I was so sick of metal. and luckily in 1990, Jellyfish arrived in all their retro splendor, making me remember what great songwriting sounded like, and I exited the Highway to Hell for good.

So, now when I hear 80's metal, I just laugh. For me, the 70's were the pinnacle of rock, and the 60's were the pinnacle of pop.

When you listen to classic rock radio, you don't hear to much Dokken or Joe Satriani (tho', yes those guys can play) , but you hear Zep,Sabbath and Van Halen all the time...I think it's because these guys were the blueprints.

Comment

But then came George Lynch, Warren DeMartini and a host of others who were great players, in really cheezy bands...and THAT sound became THE SOUND OF CHEEZE.

Then THOSE bands were imitated, and it just kept devolving. So it became the bands that were influenced by bands that were influenced by bands
                              I know exactly where you're coming from. The metal genre really shot itself in the foot. VH1's metalmania month this past May had a show that talked exactly about that.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first heard Dream Theatre's early 90's Images & Words album, thinkin', yeah.. this will revive what rock into what it SHOULD sound like in the new millenium. Progressive, inventive, modern. But it never happened.

I'm surprised the same thing hasn't happened to hip hop yet. Talk about imitation upon imitation upon imitation.

Speaking Queensryche, the Operation Mindcrime was absolutely BRILLIANT. Several albums after Empire really SUCKED. I see they just released Operation Mindcrime II. I gotta' check that out.

I also really liked the styles of Nuno Bettencourt from Extreme.

Still, today I could listen to a "Crazy About the 80's" compilation album with bands like Flock of Seagulls, The Fixx and Men at Work and still be a happy camper.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I know exactly where you're coming from. The metal genre really shot itself in the foot. VH1's metalmania month this past May had a show that talked exactly about that.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first heard Dream Theatre's early 90's Images & Words album, thinkin', yeah.. this will revive what rock into what it SHOULD sound like in the new millenium. Progressive, inventive, modern. But it never happened.

I'm surprised the same thing hasn't happened to hip hop yet. Talk about imitation upon imitation upon imitation.

Speaking Queensryche, the Operation Mindcrime was absolutely BRILLIANT. Several albums after Empire really SUCKED. I see they just released Operation Mindcrime II. I gotta' check that out.

I also really liked the styles of Nuno Bettencourt from Extreme.

Still, today I could listen to a "Crazy About the 80's" compilation album with bands like Flock of Seagulls, The Fixx and Men at Work and still be a happy camper.
                                Dream Theater...I know those guys. I'm from Long Island originally, so we knew each other. I think they are really talented, but that genre of metal is one I was really submersed in back in the day, and I can't listen to it anymore...I mean, I listened to Operation Mindcrime every day for probably a year straight, so I really never need to hear it again. It WAS an amazing record for sure.
                                I had a band that sounded like them and we had a few records out and a pretty big European following for a while...PM me and I'll tell you about it, and you can google us and see my poodle metal hair from back then, as I'll spare the embarrassment of posting it here ;-)

Here's a list of 80's hits I can still listen to and really enjoy....note, it's SONGS and not full records,as, like I said, my tolerance for 80's music is very low :-)

Life In A Northern Town - Dream Academy
                                Our Lips are Sealed - The Go-Go's
                                I Don't Mind at All - Bourgois Tag
                                Secrets - Van Halen
                                Bangles - actually, I like their entire records, especially anything Susanna Hoffs is singing on
                                Sometimes I get Frightened - Split Enz(?)
                                All the People Tell Me So - The Monroes
                                A Girl Like You, Wall of Sleep - Smithereens

Comment

Working...
                                X