Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marooned......

pzarqon, mel....

I agree with you both, and my inner fuddy duddy is definitely doing the talking here. The real truth is, yes, very few full length CD's are worth buying these days...Most new bands have one outstanding track, and then 12 more songs that sound just like it.

Think about how a later period Led Zeppelin or Beatles album incorporated many different musical styles into one collection....

especially with the Beatles, but there are others too

Who does THAT anymore ?

Yes, the downloading "45" mentality works today because most "artists" don't have alot of great songs on one CD.

Hey, I have an iPod and get the songs I need too, I'm just thinking out loud about the "good old days".
    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I think the cost factor between choosing to buy an entire album vs. a single digital track comes into play a lot these days. I agree with you on the nostalgic factor of albums (especially the old classic rock and other genres) of years gone by. The market however has changed a lot to a point where single tracks now rule.

I think the album format can still thrive if artists release good work. People will buy the albums (I still do because I like factory made CDs vs. CDs that I burn or even tracks I buy from iTunes because for the latter 2, if you are not diligent or even are diligent about backing up, all of your music could go "poof" at the first sign of a "crash") as long as they find some kind of value in getting the complete works of an artist or that the album itself stands on its own merit.

One thing I was thinking about and this goes back to the old days... it seems to me that guys would buy more albums than the girls. I mean I knew most girls in my school, they mostly bought singles if they bought any music at all because they tended to buy what was popular on the radio. We're talking top 40 radio here which was very popular in the 60s, 70s and maybe early 80s. Guys tended to listen to more hard rock music and because the form was not singles oriented, I think album sales were generally stronger with guys.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I will always buy full length cds. How many great songs would I have missed out if I only bought one track from an artist? Discovering great unheard music is what being a music fan is to me.

I've never trusted the radio to bring me good music, I'd rather go search for it.

PS--"Forever Changes" by Love would be my one CD.

Comment

It will have to be a CD by the Bros Cz. Which one, well, therein lies my internal conflict.

pax

Comment

without a doubt, it would be hendrix's Band of Gypsies live at the Fillmore East on New Year's 69/70...despite the fact that clapton got 6 grammys for his exemplary "unplugged" gig, BOG is, imho, the single greatest live performance ever recorded (even though it was recorded over 2 shows in the same night)...
            Don't be mean,
            try to help.

Comment

Working...
            X