Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: anyone going to see TOOL in concert

Quite a show; unique in many ways.

First of all, lead singer Maynard James Keenan was on a riser next the drum-kit's riser, and he pretty much stayed there throughout the performance. Not only was he physically behind the other musicians, but he visually took a backseat, with never a spotlight on him. For most of the concert, we saw Maynard only in silhouette, set against one of four fifteen-foot-tall video screens. He was also way, way back in the mix, rendering the lyrics unintelligible. I would like to have been able to hear the lyrics, but this arrangement did not ruin the show, oddly enough. There was absolutely no onstage banter: the longest speech Maynard gave between songs was, "We'll be back here. Tomorrow night."

The real frontman last night was drummer Danny Carey, whose drum kit was low enough for at least the balcony audience to see what he was up to back there. Most of the stage lights seemed to point to him, with lights also in (or amongst) his kit. He was way, way up in the mix and also the only one of the four performers to look right at the audience while playing. If you've never paid much attention to Tool, a good place to try again would be just listening to the drumming; this guy is one of the best.

Guitarist Adam Jones played downstage right and seemed to be in his own little world there, seldom interacting (except musically, of course) with the other musicians, and never looking at the audience. His was some of the noisiest guitar-playing I've ever heard live, and it was a thing of beauty. Squeals, screeches, hums, buzzes, feedback, and percussive rhythms colored the band's songs like Jones was the lovechild of a Crayola gift-box and Tim Allen's tool-belt. If Jimi Hendrix were alive today, I think this is what he would be playing.

Justin Chancellor's bass-playing was a perfect bridge between the drums and guitars, sometimes providing the skeleton upon which the other musicians hung the flesh and blood, sometimes interacting with the guitars in a kind of noisy, industrial dance, and sometimes racing against the drums to see who could first get to the end of the song. This was the noisiest bass-playing I've ever heard, too; there were times I first thought certain sounds were coming from the guitarist, but was amazed to find that they were coming from the bassist instead. To people who don't really get what progressive music is about, I'd have said, "Just pay attention to the bassist." Chancellor really rocked, and of the four musicians, I'd say his was the most interesting performance and the most critical to the band's live sound, as he seemed to hold the songs together.

Metallica's Kirk Hammett was introduced as a special guest on one song; I didn't recognize it, so I can't tell you the title, but it was a very, very Tool-like performance. The interaction between Hammett and Jones was a thing of beauty, and at one point during an extended solo, I thought the audience was going to explode, driven to climax by a progression that went higher up the aural scale than I though possible on a regular six-string. It was a near-unbelievable performance, and I was happy to be part of an audience that appreciated it for its intracacy and soul.

It was a performance with soul; there's no questioning each musician's skill, but anyone can play notes. These guys made some amazing music last night, and left me overwhelmed by a sonic, funky, enraged experience I won't forget. One of the best concerts I've ever seen.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      One of the best concerts I've ever seen.
      Never heard of TOOL; not unusual as I'm not into music, other than oldies but goodies. But after reading your commentary and watching that "Sober" video, I am now enlightened. Not enough, though, to be a new TOOL fan. Yeah, as Cameron said, "this is an older crowd."
      Last edited by Palama Kid; August 20, 2006, 05:14 AM.
      Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Metallica's Kirk Hammett was introduced as a special guest on one song; I didn't recognize it, so I can't tell you the title, but it was a very, very Tool-like performance. The interaction between Hammett and Jones was a thing of beauty, and at one point during an extended solo, I thought the audience was going to explode, driven to climax by a progression that went higher up the aural scale than I though possible on a regular six-string. It was a near-unbelievable performance, and I was happy to be part of an audience that appreciated it for its intracacy and soul.
        Wow I saw the Saturday night show and there was no Hammett I'm very jealous. Still it was an amazing show and everything you said about the Friday show held true. At the very end though Maynard told the crowd he'd see them in the new year. I do hope so, 6 years was just too long (though i can't imagine my parents letting me go at 13 ).

I can't remember all the songs they played but I know for sure they played

Stinkfist
        Right in Two
        Viginti Tres
        The Pot
        Eulogy
        Pushit
        sober
        46 and 2
        Rosetta Stoned
        Vicarious
        Last edited by Cameron; August 20, 2006, 10:14 AM.
        808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
        kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
        http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Quite a show; unique in many ways.

First of all, lead singer Maynard James Keenan was on a riser next the drum-kit's riser, and he pretty much stayed there throughout the performance. Not only was he physically behind the other musicians, but he visually took a backseat, with never a spotlight on him. For most of the concert, we saw Maynard only in silhouette, set against one of four fifteen-foot-tall video screens. He was also way, way back in the mix, rendering the lyrics unintelligible. I would like to have been able to hear the lyrics, but this arrangement did not ruin the show, oddly enough. There was absolutely no onstage banter: the longest speech Maynard gave between songs was, "We'll be back here. Tomorrow night."

The real frontman last night was drummer Danny Carey, whose drum kit was low enough for at least the balcony audience to see what he was up to back there. Most of the stage lights seemed to point to him, with lights also in (or amongst) his kit. He was way, way up in the mix and also the only one of the four performers to look right at the audience while playing. If you've never paid much attention to Tool, a good place to try again would be just listening to the drumming; this guy is one of the best.

Guitarist Adam Jones played downstage right and seemed to be in his own little world there, seldom interacting (except musically, of course) with the other musicians, and never looking at the audience. His was some of the noisiest guitar-playing I've ever heard live, and it was a thing of beauty. Squeals, screeches, hums, buzzes, feedback, and percussive rhythms colored the band's songs like Jones was the lovechild of a Crayola gift-box and Tim Allen's tool-belt. If Jimi Hendrix were alive today, I think this is what he would be playing.

Justin Chancellor's bass-playing was a perfect bridge between the drums and guitars, sometimes providing the skeleton upon which the other musicians hung the flesh and blood, sometimes interacting with the guitars in a kind of noisy, industrial dance, and sometimes racing against the drums to see who could first get to the end of the song. This was the noisiest bass-playing I've ever heard, too; there were times I first thought certain sounds were coming from the guitarist, but was amazed to find that they were coming from the bassist instead. To people who don't really get what progressive music is about, I'd have said, "Just pay attention to the bassist." Chancellor really rocked, and of the four musicians, I'd say his was the most interesting performance and the most critical to the band's live sound, as he seemed to hold the songs together.

It was a performance with soul; there's no questioning each musician's skill, but anyone can play notes. These guys made some amazing music last night, and left me overwhelmed by a sonic, funky, enraged experience I won't forget. One of the best concerts I've ever seen.
          Thoughtful review scriv. "Maynard only in silhouette" is sort of a trademark of TOOL performances. Love a front man who shuns the spotlight. They are all superior musicians which makes the ensemble so powerful. How were the visuals? They definitely do the Pink Floydesque mind "f" with style.
          Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Went both nights and must say I was impressed with the concert hall as a "rock" venue. Both sonically and visually MUCH better than the Arena.

Tool was spectacular as usual, wish they'd done Prison Sex and Parabola.

As far as Kirk Hammett's performance, I didn't know it was him until someone told me on Saturday (missed Maynard's intro and was WAY up in balcony to recognize him.)

That being said, I wondered all night after who was this guy who I thought BUTCHERED Sober.

I like early Metallica and am familiar with Kirk's playing style but couldn't recognize him by just hearing what he tried to play. Sounded like some kid learning how to solo. No wonder he didn't have any solos on their last album. JMHO, coming from someone who's been playing electric guitar for over 20 years.

ANYWAY, I look forward to Tool's return soon and hopefully they'll be playing the concert hall again.

Comment

Working...
            X