Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diamond Head Crater Festivals

Originally posted by na alii
    If you remember the soundtrack "FM" Linda has the song "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" on there and in the movie during a concert scene she mentions Waddy Wachtel on guitars and Warren Zevon used Waddy on "Exictable Boy" album.
    Yes exactly! I also remember the movie FM. Was funny and the concert segments shown on the movie were pretty good too. I think on the movie they featured Jimmy Buffett and Linda singing "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" and "Tumblin' Dice." Both songs I appear on her Simple Dreams album of 1977. I have both the FM soundtrack LP as well as the Ronstadt albums. Need to upgrade those someday to CD.

Getting back to the concert, where were the designated parking areas? I would think KCC would probably have been one of them, though you'd still get traffic coming up Diamond Head road.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

OK... I just read a few more posts deeper that parking was in Kakaako.

It is a good thing the rains subsided by yesterday.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
        Yes exactly! I also remember the movie FM. Was funny and the concert segments shown on the movie were pretty good too. I think on the movie they featured Jimmy Buffett and Linda singing "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" and "Tumblin' Dice." Both songs I appear on her Simple Dreams album of 1977. I have both the FM soundtrack LP as well as the Ronstadt albums. Need to upgrade those someday to CD.

Getting back to the concert, where were the designated parking areas? I would think KCC would probably have been one of them, though you'd still get traffic coming up Diamond Head road.
        I would also think KCC would be a desinated parking lot but I think the promoters wanted to keep the Diamond Head Neighborhood Board happy and keep all traffic out of Diamond Head area and only bus in the concert goers. We parked at Kakaako which was in the UH Medical School Lot. I also know they had a Richards St. sign which I think was the Central Pacific Plaza lot and also from the Sheraton. They had it planned well. At first i thought I had to catch my designated time at 11:30am but when I called they said they were going to have the shuttle running continuously. Next time I won't go so early. Looks a lot of people came just before the main attractions.

Comment

oh. another thing that happened...

The bus ride back, was full. we got on the aina haina bus. The last to board was a haole family. 2 or three girls, mom and dad. the father was singing really loud getting on the bus. all the while, he was talking really loud. and whilstling loud. I told him to quiet down. he started saying something like we're gonna crash or sumpin lidat. Some guy behind us told him " that's not at all appreciated. quiet down." he said "oh I'm only joking. relax!"
          ( from Tommy Bahama, on down. I hate when mainlanders tell us this. "Oh Relax")

He sees us apparently going past the aina haina stop. we are going past to first drop off a bunch of people at Kaiser, then double back.
          All hell breaks loose. he runs to the front and yells at the driver "Drop us off here! we wanna be let off here. we will walk across the street. whaddya doing? this is stupid. can't you people do anything right around here? let us off now! you are going past our stop!" he is causing such unrest i sure wouldn't wanna see this guy on an airplane.
          We tell him to siddown and shuddup, as he is causing a ruckus. he walks back to his seat telling us again "relax" I tell him with calm and equanimity, not angry, but forcefully, ." Lissen YOU relax. You are causing trouble. Are these your kids here? You otta be ashamed of yerself giving such a bad example. teaching them to be arrogant trouble makers. what a thug. Where you from. L.A.?! leave that attitude there. In Hawaii we do things different. So what if we go a few extra blocks. What ya gonna do. Sue?! just enjoy the ride, stop complaining and stop making sooooo muuuuuch nooooise and ruining it for everyone else. Stop making trouble."

a little after that a loudmouth haole woman said " where are we going?! This is BULLS#!T !"

I yelled at her:
          "Hey! Curb your language. there are children on this bus"
          that seemed to instill a modicum of respect in her. But no, it was shortlived. she raised her voice and proceeded to continue proving what an ass she was and everything else revolves around her as she is the center of the universe.

I suppose one would think the guy thought that bigmouth was a compadre of his, since she's echoing what he is feeling, still, as a father he shoulda told her to not swear in front of his own children.
          The poor bus driver. Just doing her job and half of the bus was yelling and verbally abusing her.
          That was sheer hell. i tellya; Some people's children....

Comment

I sure wish I wuz on that BUS! To give them a sampling of Island Flavor of Auntie Pupule's Classic Whack Whacks!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Kinda got a chuckle reading a review in this mornings paper which said that WAR performed classics like "Frisco Kid".

Comment

That's funny I too was parked in the Kakaako lot. I boarded the bus at 12:00 but it didn't leave till 12:15. Being a regular concert goer I've always had to smuggle my cameras in. I wore baggy cargo shorts so I stored my camera there. I wished I brought my long lens SLR camera.
                We rode the same bus! Unfortunately I wasn't too observant of everyone else on the bus. You weren't the one who boarded the bus and then stepped off with us when the bus driver lit a cigarette signaling a few more minutes' wait, were you? I usually carry a camera in to events too, but first time da wife came with me and she was worried about getting "searched". That based on one of her post-911 stadium events when security was still paranoid hype. I should have let my instincts have the say.

Comment

Originally posted by Royce
                  We rode the same bus! Unfortunately I wasn't too observant of everyone else on the bus. You weren't the one who boarded the bus and then stepped off with us when the bus driver lit a cigarette signaling a few more minutes' wait, were you? I usually carry a camera in to events too, but first time da wife came with me and she was worried about getting "searched". That based on one of her post-911 stadium events when security was still paranoid hype. I should have let my instincts have the say.
                  That was my high school classmate Phil that got off for a smoke break. I think you were the guy that told me this bus isn't going anywhere for 5 minutes with the driver taking a smoke break. I was the one that said "At least 5 minutes". It must of been you and your wife talking to my friend Phil and the bus driver.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    oh. another thing that happened...

The bus ride back, was full. we got on the aina haina bus. The last to board was a haole family. 2 or three girls, mom and dad. the father was singing really loud getting on the bus. all the while, he was talking really loud. and whilstling loud. I told him to quiet down. he started saying something like we're gonna crash or sumpin lidat. Some guy behind us told him " that's not at all appreciated. quiet down." he said "oh I'm only joking. relax!"
                    ( from Tommy Bahama, on down. I hate when mainlanders tell us this. "Oh Relax")

He sees us apparently going past the aina haina stop. we are going past to first drop off a bunch of people at Kaiser, then double back.
                    All hell breaks loose. he runs to the front and yells at the driver "Drop us off here! we wanna be let off here. we will walk across the street. whaddya doing? this is stupid. can't you people do anything right around here? let us off now! you are going past our stop!" he is causing such unrest i sure wouldn't wanna see this guy on an airplane.
                    We tell him to siddown and shuddup, as he is causing a ruckus. he walks back to his seat telling us again "relax" I tell him with calm and equanimity, not angry, but forcefully, ." Lissen YOU relax. You are causing trouble. Are these your kids here? You otta be ashamed of yerself giving such a bad example. teaching them to be arrogant trouble makers. what a thug. Where you from. L.A.?! leave that attitude there. In Hawaii we do things different. So what if we go a few extra blocks. What ya gonna do. Sue?! just enjoy the ride, stop complaining and stop making sooooo muuuuuch nooooise and ruining it for everyone else. Stop making trouble."

a little after that a loudmouth haole woman said " where are we going?! This is BULLS#!T !"

I yelled at her:
                    "Hey! Curb your language. there are children on this bus"
                    that seemed to instill a modicum of respect in her. But no, it was shortlived. she raised her voice and proceeded to continue proving what an ass she was and everything else revolves around her as she is the center of the universe.

I suppose one would think the guy thought that bigmouth was a compadre of his, since she's echoing what he is feeling, still, as a father he shoulda told her to not swear in front of his own children.
                    The poor bus driver. Just doing her job and half of the bus was yelling and verbally abusing her.
                    That was sheer hell. i tellya; Some people's children....
                    We had few like that on the bus going back. A lot of them were drunk and was talking loud asking where are we going. Being someone who knows the roads on Oahu I already knew what route the bus driver was going to take and had to explain to the drunkards where we were exactly going. Before we even took off I knew a lot of them were on the wrong bus because they where asking another designation other than Kakaako. Well once we stopped at Kakaako and walking off the bus I hear people yelling "Blaisdell, we need to go to Blaisdell". It's hard to direct drunk people who don't know what's going on.
                    Last edited by na alii; April 2, 2006, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• Re: Diamond Head Crater Festivals

Aloha Mr. Holt...!
                      Would have made my day if you had made it to this crater festival... I had the pleasure of working with the audio crew and was FOH eng. for the show.! Had a blast. quite an experience and wont forget it. Hope to have the opportunity to do it again. It goes without saying that not everything was perfect, but hey.. ITs LIVE.... Run with it..! wish you the best. john./audissey.

Comment

That was my high school classmate Phil that got off for a smoke break. I think you were the guy that told me this bus isn't going anywhere for 5 minutes with the driver taking a smoke break. I was the one that said "At least 5 minutes". It must of been you and your wife talking to my friend Phil and the bus driver.
                        Yes that was us alright.

Comment

I'd like to get an old poster of one of the 70's concert in the crater if anyone can point me in the right direction!

Shootz!

Comment

try the antique shop school st just before liliha.

Comment

Originally posted by papatwig001
                              I'd like to get an old poster of one of the 70's concert in the crater if anyone can point me in the right direction!

Shootz!
                              It might ask a hefty price. I read a Dave Donnelly column about an internet site was selling one for $1100.00. This one is already sold in another site.

http://starbulletin.com/98/04/03/features/donnelly.html

Last edited by na alii; April 4, 2006, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by papatwig001

Shootz!
                                I know I'm replying to an old posting but I have a framed poster from 1977 - the one with the girl sitting on the rainbow? Contact me privately & we can discuss it if you like.

Fran
                                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                                X