Tower Records is getting liquidated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tower Records is getting liquidated

A sidebar to the closure of Tower Records is that the Advertiser had to find a new source for their Sunday listing of album sales, including the Top 10 Hawaiian music sales.
    The listings vanished completely for a couple of weeks, then showed up again this past weekend with a footnote that the source was Borders at Ward Center.
    Lots of folks in the local music biz used to go into Tower on Keeaumoku (the Advertiser's source store) and buy up lots of their own CDs just to artificially inflate their rating on the list. Borders Ward can now expect increased sales just to that fact alone.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I hit Tower Kahala today, and found the DVD section thinning considerably. I bought some stuff today, and was saddened to see that I missed out on other stuff I had wanted.

I would recommend that if you have something you actually want, to buy now.

Now I'll sit back and wait for the fire sale.

Comment

Well, I picked up a few CDs today. Checking on Amazon, I did OK one some, paid more then I could have for others. Still, I don't think I did too bad for locally bought. Based on my experience, if you see a CD you want for 12.99 or less, it's good deal. If it's more, you can probably get it cheaper on Amazon.

I left some things on the shelfs. Stuff they seem to still have a bunch of, so I'll sit back and wait for the next cut. (And price 'em first.)

Comment

Anybody in here got an update on Tower's current discount percentages?

Thank you ...

Comment

Originally posted by mediababy67 View Post

Thank you ...
            Went to the one on Keeaumoku this morning. These are their current discounts, if I remember correctly:
            30% off - CDs, DVDs, Toys, Books, Posters
            50% off - Singles
            60% off - Magazines

They still have a fair amount of stuff left. Most of the DVDs have been moved to the Classical section of the store. Bought waaaay too much stuff we don't really watch or listen to, but our rationale is we can use them as Xmas presents if needed.

Not many XBox or PS2 games left, though. Just one small rack.

Comment

Originally posted by mediababy67 View Post
              Called last night. Still 30%. But I was told it would go up (or do you consider that down?) within a week.

Comment

I suspect the big blowout sale will come around Thanksgiving week, quite possibly the day after the turkeys are eaten. Too bad I'll be off island. Was looking forward for deep discount vulture shopping.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I scavenged Tower like a buzzard Friday afternoon. The new deal is pretty much 40% off everything; Thursday and Friday, you got one free disc for every four you bought (free disc being the lowest-priced, of course). Magazines are 75% off. Rap is 50% off. Blues, Jazz, Bluegrass, Folk, Soundtracks, Pop, Soul, and Rock are all 40% off.

When the deal is a certain percent off, you save more money the more you spend of course, but you have to watch it, because of course if you spend more than you want, you may have gotten quite a bit but you're still spending money. I did a rather detailed search for about an hour, picking up whatever seemed worth the new discounted price. Then I decided there were enough titles at $16.99 (sticker) to spend the money on five discs at that price. I put back everything that cost more than that (possibly to get later) and everything that cost less ('though four discs at $10.99 plus one free at that price is a good deal, and there is a LOT in that store worth picking up at that price), and then decided only to get stuff I knew I wanted: either music that I was planning to get anyway or music by bands I knew and liked.

So I walked out with
                  • Sister Hazel, Live*Live (2 CD set; saw them at Bayfest and they were great).
                  • Zero Hour, A Fragile Mind (newest album by a band I really dig).
                  • Keb' Mo', Suitcase (recent album by a guy who can do no wrong).
                  • Wuthering Heights, Far from the Maddening Crowd (third part of a trilogy; I have part 2 already).
                  • Neal Morse, One (first solo album by Spock's Beard lead singer; I have a TON of his music and I belong to his "inner circle").

So that's five good CDs I would have purchased anyway ('though not at that price; online prices tend to be a few bucks less expensive) listed at $84.95 that I got for $40.76. Add to that a Bob Dylan poster for $4.19 and I'm a happy man.

There is quite a bit of stuff I'd like to have in the $21.99 to $25.99 range; if I'm feeling spendy early next week (Store closes December 5), I may go back with the same spending plan. There were MANY copies of certain things I want at that price, so I will certainly be thinking about it.
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I got back from the Big Island today and went to Tower Records Keeaumoku to see what was available for 40% off. Yep, I too bought 4 + 1 CDs, even one double disc set for $13.19. Titles bought today:

Duane Allman "Anthology" - double CD set; replaces my old LP. $13.19
                    Jethro Tull - Songs From the Wood $8.99
                    Johnny Cash & June Carter Greatest Hits - $7.79 gift for mom
                    Roseanne Cash Greatest Hits - $7.79
                    Tina Turner - Private Dancer + bonus tracks - $7.79 (was calculated as FREE after the discount was applied)

Chronicles of Narnia Deluxe Edition DVD - $11.99
                    Cinderella Man DVD - $9.99

Spent $62 at Tower today.

Hoping for a bigger blowout as final closing day approaches.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Listen up folks. I went by Tower Keeaumoku just this afternoon and for 2 days only... today and tomorrow.

ALL RAP & HIP HOP CDs ARE 70% OFF!

I'm not a big fan of this genre but I did buy one CD... Best of Sugarhill Records: The Definitive Groove Collection, 2 CD set of old skool stuff that I remembered from the late 1970s... normal price $19.99.... 70% $6.25 (with tax).

It would be prudent to visit Tower every 2 days this coming week to see what kind of 70% off sales they will have. Hopefully other genre CDs as well as DVDs will be deeply discounted.

Vulture Shopping can be fun.
                      Last edited by mel; November 25, 2006, 01:06 PM.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I checked Tower Records again yesteday. The 40% off sale on everything is still going. They were giving a 20% discount on top of the 40% for pop and rock CD purchases. As things go, the shelves are looking quite bare. All of the Beatles CDs and many other major artists are pretty much wiped out. There are some Rolling Stones CDs left.

I bought the first Dire Straits album on CD (upgrades my vinyl) for $6.23. and the last Fleetwood Mac CD featuring Bob Welch on lead vocals for the same price.

If you guys want something decent better hurry. I heard one of the workers say the last day is now December 17.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

We went today! No Loggins and Messina to be found, but I had a blast anyways. I'm sittin' in my livingroom listening to Harry Chapin now and the line up will go sumptin' li'dis Gordon Lightfoot, Joe Cocker, Jimmy Buffett and Grateful Dead! My Mrs. got 2 CD's (UB40, Country Gospel) she liked too along with a cell phone holder and we got it all for $53.09! I picked up a bottle of Sake on the way home and am feeling kinda warm and fuzzy already. HaHa!

Their stock is getting down there, but still some selection.
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                            If you guys want something decent better hurry. I heard one of the workers say the last day is now December 17.
                            I find it hard to believe they'll last that long. The pickings are getting slim.

Keamoku is at 40% + 20% (effective 52% off) and a few signs say "no further discount". However the Kahala Tower is running 50% off. Seems like different deal at different stores.

Comment

Howzit gang!
                              I have yet to step into a Tower Records down here on my end but I jus read thru The Advertiser that the Keeaumoku location is goin to be a WALGREENS?!?!?

Soooo if anyone not familiar with this company its across between WOOLWORTHS and LONGS DRUGS I say........

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...294368175.html

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                                I jus read thru The Advertiser that the Keeaumoku location is goin to be a WALGREENS?!?!?
                                Which makes no sense to me. What do they plan to do for parking? That's something that's always sucked at Tower. But Tower aimed at at younger set that would put up with walking over from down the street or from Ala Moana. But I can't image Walgreens customers putting up with the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X