Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recording Questions

Man... 13 songs in three days?

My hat is off to you, buddy... good job.

And is that Shon from GJG? That guy gets nuts with the skins.

Comment

Congratulations Jdub! I just wanted to say...it was great seeing you again this past Saturday! And your drummer is HANDSOME!

OooohLalal!!!!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
        Man... 13 songs in three days?

My hat is off to you, buddy... good job.

And is that Shon from GJG? That guy gets nuts with the skins.
        Right on PJ. And yep, that Shon. We toured together for years. He delivered BIG TIME. A great player and a very dear friend. A man among men.

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
        Congratulations Jdub! I just wanted to say...it was great seeing you again this past Saturday! And your drummer is HANDSOME!

OooohLalal!!!!

Auntie Lynn
        ahahahahahahahaha! Auntie, you jus classic! I can't tell you how much it meant to me that you came down to my end of Chinatown to see me. And nemmine my drummer, what about the two haole boys you dragged in?! I tink so dey was BOTH in love!
        Don't be mean,
        try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
          ahahahahahahahaha! Auntie, you jus classic! I can't tell you how much it meant to me that you came down to my end of Chinatown to see me. And nemmine my drummer, what about the two haole boys you dragged in?! I tink so dey was BOTH in love!
          Of course dey was! I saved dem from getting beaten up on the Street from one Big Dude. I told the guy "WTF?! Beat it before I whack whack you!" Dey saw Auntie Lynn in Action!

Den I met onnada guy who said he was with the New Zealand National Rugby Team. He asked me who I was and who I was with. I told him I was with the American National Rugby Team and pointed to the guys.hahahaha When I went up to them I told what I told the guy and they laughed. We're getting together again to go out. I guess they enjoyed drinking with an old lady.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Of course dey was! I saved dem from getting beaten up on the Street from one Big Dude. I told the guy "WTF?! Beat it before I whack whack you!" Dey saw Auntie Lynn in Action!

Den I met onnada guy who said he was with the New Zealand National Rugby Team. He asked me who I was and who I was with. I told him I was with the American National Rugby Team and pointed to the guys.hahahaha When I went up to them I told what I told the guy and they laughed. We're getting together again to go out. I guess they enjoyed drinking with an old lady.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
            Old lady my okole. Auntie, you get game fo days, moa den da haole chicks come my show lidat!
            Don't be mean,
            try to help.

Comment

Old lady my okole. Auntie, you get game fo days, moa den da haole chicks come my show lidat!
              No tell my SECRETS!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

No tell my SECRETS!
                PIMPIN' AIN'T EASY!!!

Comment

PIMPIN' AIN'T EASY!!!
                  No ack! My OPU is sore from laughing too hard!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

pIMPIN? heheheheh

OMG!!!

Auntie Lynn of Chinatown

Comment

PIMPIN' AIN'T EASY!!!
                    Ain't that the truth. But Auntie sure makes it look like it is. I would have loved to see you put the WHACK WHACK on the buggah was hassling the to guys, Auntie! Make a public service, no, wait, campaign commercial out of it!

"Auntie Pupule. Keeping your streets safe. No Ack. Whack Whack."
                    Don't be mean,
                    try to help.

Comment

After a brief consultation with my bandmate James, it's becoming clear that financing, and the lack thereof, may prove to be the biggest challenge of this project. It looks like we'll be able to fund the actual recording process, but the mixing and mastering of a record incurs costs that don't even begin until the recording is, well, recorded.

We've had people come forward with funds, people to whom I am personally grateful to, if only casually acquainted. However, the fact remains that whatever "in good faith" backing we've thus far received just ain't gonna be enough to cover the nut of making a record.

Maybe I'm just freaking out because I know that the time I spend on overdubs will count toward the number at the bottom of the Studio Invoice. I'm gonna want to not be thinking about money when I go in to lay down my voicing.
                      Don't be mean,
                      try to help.

Comment

Gonna put on my Producer cap for a moment, jdub:

Money (or the lack thereof) is a reality, but at the same time, always keep your focus on the finished product. Do the work you have to do to create a finished product of which you will be pleased and proud - not just today, but next year and a decade from now. This is a snapshot of what you are doing artistically at this point.

You've already poured a healthy amount of cash into it, as well as your creative soul. Even if you can't release it as soon as you would like, do the work. If you can't finish it until you raise more kala, pursue the funding to do so. More gigs, loans from family, disc pre-sales (though not unless you will have it done within 3-4 months of said sales), refinancing of property, extra temp jobs ('tis the season), sell your plasma --- there are ways to raise the funds, slowly but surely, to finish your project RIGHT = to your satisfaction.

If you feel that you are putting out a flawed project now, just in order to get it on the streets, it will bother you well into the future; it will eat away at the artist within, every single time you listen to it or even look at it - you will remember the flaws way out of proportion to the shiny parts. Do not skimp on quality mixdowns and mastering - do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                          Gonna put on my Producer cap for a moment, jdub:

Money (or the lack thereof) is a reality, but at the same time, always keep your focus on the finished product. Do the work you have to do to create a finished product of which you will be pleased and proud - not just today, but next year and a decade from now. This is a snapshot of what you are doing artistically at this point.

You've already poured a healthy amount of cash into it, as well as your creative soul. Even if you can't release it as soon as you would like, do the work. If you can't finish it until you raise more kala, pursue the funding to do so. More gigs, loans from family, disc pre-sales (though not unless you will have it done within 3-4 months of said sales), refinancing of property, extra temp jobs ('tis the season), sell your plasma --- there are ways to raise the funds, slowly but surely, to finish your project RIGHT = to your satisfaction.

If you feel that you are putting out a flawed project now, just in order to get it on the streets, it will bother you well into the future; it will eat away at the artist within, every single time you listen to it or even look at it - you will remember the flaws way out of proportion to the shiny parts. Do not skimp on quality mixdowns and mastering - do it right.
                          Mahalo. Your advice is, well, right on the money. The last CD I released was flawed, not tragically, but flawed nonetheless. I wasn't there for the mixing or mastering, and the record was all over the place. Each song sounds alright on its own, but there was virtually not continuity of production. It still bugs me. The record served us well, selling about 20K copies nationally without a record label. We had a distribution deal with the now defunct (I believe) Caroline. I haven't listened to it in years.

Your advice will be well heeded, brah. Thanks for it. I'm in no rush to get this thing on the streets. All it has to do is get me to Ireland someday.
                          Don't be mean,
                          try to help.

Comment

Mahalo. Your advice is, well, right on the money. The last CD I released was flawed, not tragically, but flawed nonetheless. I wasn't there for the mixing or mastering, and the record was all over the place. Each song sounds alright on its own, but there was virtually not continuity of production. It still bugs me. The record served us well, selling about 20K copies nationally without a record label. We had a distribution deal with the now defunct (I believe) Caroline. I haven't listened to it in years.

Your advice will be well heeded, brah. Thanks for it. I'm in no rush to get this thing on the streets. All it has to do is get me to Ireland someday.
                            Selling 20K as an indie artist is pretty damn spectacular these days.
                            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                              Selling 20K as an indie artist is pretty damn spectacular these days.
                              Is it? I figured that you're not even on the radar with 100K plus in sales. That's encouraging. Mahalo, Tiki.
                              Don't be mean,
                              try to help.

Comment

Is it? I figured that you're not even on the radar with 100K plus in sales. That's encouraging. Mahalo, Tiki.
                                Well....if you're not signed to a lable; and pressed them yourselves, do the math...
                                You sell them to the distributor for $7, they cost about $1 to press....that's roughly $6 profit x 20,000

That's $120,000

I wish I sold 20,000 Fuzzbubble CD's....Damn, that'd be sweet :-)
                                http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                                Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                                Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                                X