Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What CDs or songs would you not openly admit you own or like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What CDs or songs would you not openly admit you own or like?

I grew up with Chicago and saw them and another group Styx and REO Speedwagon at gymnasiums
    for shows before the rest of the country caught on.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Do you have "Stoneground Words"? [...] I wish it were available on CD, but since there were no hits on it, I don't expect to see it reissued.
      Well, not CD, but I see Amazon has it for download. As does eMusic and SpiralFrog.

Comment

Well, I have some "silver throat" stuff, which are recordings issued by people not known as singers (primarily actors/actresses). And, I DO ADMIT that I collect them. Artists such as JERRY MATHERS (yes, the "Beaver"); TIM CONSIDINE (Mike on "My Three Sons"); PAUL PETERSEN and SHELLEY FABARES ("Donna Reed Show"); JOHNNY CRAWFORD ("The Rifleman"); KRISTY McNICHOL ("Family"); DANNY BONADUCE ("Partridge Family"); CONNIE STEVENS ("Hawaiian Eye"); and even BILL COSBY! Some like PETERSEN, STEVENS, FABARES, and CRAWFORD released several albums each, while the rest were basically "one and done."

Comment

I have soooooooooooooo much of the stuff listed here! I love my turntable that converts vinyl into CDs, and then it gets loaded onto my iPod. I have stuff from the 40s up...I used to think that Glenn Miller, et al, was awful stuff, but now I love it! Being a "tween" in the early 60s, I loved anything my older sister was listening to..."Sealed With A Kiss" (Brian Hyland) was a biggie; Shelly Fabares' "Johnny Angel"--stuff like that. But I probably would get a ton of weird looks today from anyone who knew I still play stuff from Paul Revere and the Raiders, and the Monkees...when I am in a nostalgic mood, that stuff gets loud! Mostly it's Beatles and other huge groups from "The British Invasion" years, but the others, too, and also the Beach Boys. I do have Barry Manilow too...went to see him many years ago with a friend, and he puts on a good show, but I rarely admit going to his concert. It was free; my friend bought the tickets and her boyfriend backed out of going with her!

Can you imagine I work with people now who are laughing at me going to see Paul McCartney this spring at the Coachella Fest in Palm Springs?! Now, I find it terribly funny that I am going to that and putting up with groups like Nine Inch Nails, but THEY find it funny that I would go see a nearly 67-yr-old dude!!! Sorry...after 45 years, I still love him!

Anyway, I own a lot of this same music I have seen mentioned here, and love it. ITunes is great for good memories!

Comment

No need to apologize, HawaiiMama. We all have our favorites.

I am part of a large group of people in our 50s and 60s who meet every week at various venues to listen and dance to "oldies" tunes from the 1950s-70s. Rock and roll, blues, surf, psychedelic, soul, British invasion, funk, etc. And every so often, karaoke, too.

KEEP ON ROCKIN'.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
              I am part of a large group of people in our 50s and 60s who meet every week at various venues to listen and dance to "oldies" tunes from the 1950s-70s. Rock and roll, blues, surf, psychedelic, soul, British invasion, funk, etc. And every so often, karaoke, too.

KEEP ON ROCKIN'.
              Man, I wish I could be there for that!! How FUN!

Comment

Well, I have some "silver throat" stuff,
                You missed the classic William Shatner's rendition of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds? I think Leonard Nimoy did some albums too.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                  You missed the classic William Shatner's rendition of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds? I think Leonard Nimoy did some albums too.
                  I don't have those. But, I do have MARCIA STRASSMAN ("Julie Kotter" on WELCOME BACK KOTTER and nurse "Margie Cutler" on M*A*S*H) and two MRS. MILLER vinyl LP albums.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    Well, not CD, but I see Amazon has it for download. As does eMusic and SpiralFrog.
                    Thanks for the info, GG.
                    Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post
                    But I probably would get a ton of weird looks today from anyone who knew I still play stuff from ... the Monkees.
                    Guess what I'm listening to right now?

Comment

"25 or 6 to 4" was a favorite for many school pep bands. As well as "THE HORSE" (Cliff Nobles Company). Two of the stranger ones were "HOGAN'S HEROES" and the theme from "ABARENBO SHOGUN," both played by the UH pep band. ABARENBO was played this season at one of the games I attended a few weeks ago.

Comment

Our high school band also played "Theme From Hogans Heroes". Other songs we also played included several Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass tracks like "Green Peppers", "Tijuana Taxi", "Cinco De Mayo" and "The Work Song". We also played Henry Mancini's "Theme from the Pink Panther" and "Peter Gunn". And of course Morton Stevens' "Hawaii Five-0". I have some of these on CD or LP by the aforementioned artists. Most can be purchased individually as MP3 or AAC files online.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

[FONT="Verdana"]As well as "THE HORSE" (Cliff Nobles Company).
                          School bands in Hawai'i played this? Wow, would've been great to have heard that back then.

Comment

Originally posted by johmbolaya View Post
                            School bands in Hawai'i played this? Wow, would've been great to have heard that back then.
                            I thought every high school and college marching/pep band in the US plays this?
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                              I thought every high school and college marching/pep band in the US plays this?
                              Same here. Don't know if they still do, but they sure did when I was in HS.

Comment

Is USC the only school that plays Tusk?

Comment

Working...
                                X