Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Maybe he takes the Ferrari(s) as a tax writeoff, as a business expense?
    I've heard that's an advantage of leasing. Who knows. Of course that just cuts down one's income, it's not like a refund from the government. But it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
      Why? What were you SUPPOSED to have said in the view of this "local"? His entire name? "Israel Kamakawiwo'ole". Give me a break. Even Braddah Iz himself would've set this clown straight. That same "local" him/herself probably didn't know any more Olelo than the words "mahalo" and "aloha". The latter of which they obviously lacked. If not at all, he/she should've ripped into the person asking. Like hearing an Elvis song and asking someone "who sings this?"

You know what you should've said after that person ripped on you? You should've tapped on the person who asked and said, "Oh sorry, Mam (or sir). I stand corrected. It's Kermit the Frog". (which is entirely wrong. He "sang" Rainbow Connection).

Glad you have an Iz topic going! Love his music so much!
      Your post reminds me of something I always say to people over here when I tell them about Iz. They always ask, "Who is Iz?" and I say, "Well actually, Iz was!" Hahaha!
      'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
        Mahalo to you and Tikiyaki for answering my question. Grandma is "going home" today with her wish.

Yes, it is in c. Does that help?
        Oh yeah. If he will be playing guitar, he will need to do it in the key of g, but with the capo on the fifth fret. That way, it will sound more like an 'ukulele because the pitch will be higher. He could still do it in c, but it wouldn't sound as good.
        'Alika

Comment

iz music is so peaceful. the mood and feeling it provides brings out the best in human nature. great guy. great artist. wonderful music.
          Ebb And Flow

Comment

Just purchased the Wonderful World CD. I love it. Not once does the orchestration overpower that magical voice! One thing I'm curious about, though...nowhere in the accompanying booklet is there any mention of the other musicians (orchestra), unless I just missed it. Does anyone know if these would be studio musicians, or is the orchestration synthesized? I find it hard to believe that Jack de Mello would use anything other than live musicians. And why no credit given?

Comment

Originally posted by MatildaRose View Post
              Just purchased the Wonderful World CD. I love it. Not once does the orchestration overpower that magical voice! One thing I'm curious about, though...nowhere in the accompanying booklet is there any mention of the other musicians (orchestra), unless I just missed it. Does anyone know if these would be studio musicians, or is the orchestration synthesized? I find it hard to believe that Jack de Mello would use anything other than live musicians. And why no credit given?
              The arrangers as well as the orchestras used are all based overseas, which keeps costs down. They are not "name" players or ensembles. It's certainly possible that they are folks who play together in some particular Asian regional ensemble (as a rough example), but were pulled from that ensemble to make a studio orchestra.

It's acoustic orchestration, though there is some synthesized enhancement in a few places, such as the opening brass lines on "Ke Alo O Iesu."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                The arrangers as well as the orchestras used are all based overseas, which keeps costs down.[...]
                Hmmm...is it ok for me to feel disappointment in Iz not being backed by local musicians? Regardless...I am. And, yes, I understand keeping the costs down, but...

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Hmmm...is it ok for me to feel disappointment in Iz not being backed by local musicians? Regardless...I am. And, yes, I understand keeping the costs down, but...
                  Matt Catingub's "Return To Romance" album certainly proved he has players who are up to the challenge. He's a fantastic arranger, too.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    I'm disappointed, too. Seems to me they could have asked members of the Honolulu Symphony to do the work and keep it local. Maybe next time, they'll ask us what we think.

Comment

Oh, I never thought about that, but I love the album as it is.
                      'Alika

Comment

I've listened to this disc a few times. I've even shared it with friends. And I think my initial skepticism was well founded. Though I was trying to wind up for a full, written review, only one word really seemed to sum it up: unnecessary.

Oh, sure, it's not unpleasant to listen to, much like light jazz versions of your favorite pop standards. But it ain't Iz, either. I'm fully willing to consider that Iz may have performed live in concert with an orchestra, ideally the Honolulu Symphony, as you've all rightfully mused. But imagining that and trying to fabricate it are two wholly different things. And whatever "magic" DeMello was trying to conjure with this project, I don't feel it at all.

Even in the songs where I thought the additional instrumentation wasn't bad, I couldn't help thinking I liked Iz better on his own. Particularly annoying was DeMello's tendency to mirror Iz's uke melodies to the note with strings or brass or whatever. What sounded originally like Iz just riffing or improvising (even if he wasn't) suddenly sounded plotted out and... well, orchestrated. It sucked any feeling of spontenaity and joy out of his music.

Iz Muzak? Simply unnecessary. But people will eat this stuff up anyway, and that's what DeMello was counting on.

Comment

I wanted to like this cd. Really wanted to. But when I listen to it, I feel like I should be shopping in Safeway or standing in an elevator, or being put on hold...

pax

Comment

Working...
                          X