• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wax in da ears

"I'm not talking bout Bolivia and I don't wanna cage yer mind..."

Comment

Elton's Bennie and the Jets had me giggling with my own version: "She's got electric boobs, a mohair suit.....
      (Should be electric boots.) Hope I can say that "b" word on H.T.

Bolivia? That's pretty funny. You come to me on a submarine. That's a good one, too. Heck, they're all hilarious. I love this thread.

Comment

Bread's "Make it with you". I used to think that the end of the first verse went:

"And if you're wondering what this song is leading to" instead of "And if you're wondering what this all is leading to"
        Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

So for 20+ years until yesterday, my wife's been singing "The clock's a hazard in the classroom..." instead of
          "No dark sarcasm in the classroom..." --Pink Floyd, Another Brick in the Wall.

Comment

"...life could be ecstasy, you and me and Leslie..."

Ooh, kinky!

Funny thing is, ever since I sang it this way in front of my wife, she can't stop hearing it that way.

Comment

For the longest time, this is what I heard for "Secret Agent Man":

There's a man who leads a life of danger.
              To everyone he meets he stays a stranger
              With every move he makes,
              Another chance he takes.
              Odds are he won't live to see tomorrow.

Secret ASIAN Man.
              Secret ASIAN Man.
              They've given you a number.
              And taken away your name.

I had to laugh when I finally learned the lyrics. And I was totally picturing this Asian spy dude!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A former co-worker of mine used to like the song "Windy"...but would say "Wendy" all the time. He was like, "Hellllooooo, it's a girl!" and I'd tell him, "HELLOOOOO, listen to the lyrics! :

Who's tripping down the streets of the city
              Smilin' at everybody she sees
              Who's reachin' out to capture a moment
              Everyone knows it's Windy

And Windy has stor-my eyes
              That flash at the sound of lies
              And Windy has wings to fly
              Above the clouds (above the clouds)
              Above the clouds (above the clouds)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And a more recent "wax in da ears" for me, was Gwen Stefani's "Cool." My husband was saying he liked the song and when it was on the radio, he was like, "that's it! that's the song!" and I was like, "THAT'S what she's saying??...'I know we're cool'...?" So then he asks, "what did you THINK she was saying??" I told him, "I dunno...I couldn't get it!! I kept hearing things like, "I know wecull"...!!" I felt like a total lame-o not knowing what she was saying for weeks on end. But the goofy, fun-natured side of me just let out a big 'ole LAUGH! HAHAHAHAHA!
              Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

I also had to listen twice when I first heard Wild Cherry's line "Play that funky music, white boy". You all can guess what I thought I heard.
                Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

My wife and stepson argued with me over Moby's lyric swearing it was, "I have to praise you like a shoe."
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

it's laughable but i continue to discover that i was so wrong when it comes to the lyrics of some songs that i've been humming for ages. the latest...

eric burton and the animal's san franciscan nights

...old cop young cop feel alright
                    on a warm San Franciscan night
                    the children are cool
                    they don't raise fools

but i thought they said

the kids are cool
                    they don't play pool!

:::::::::::::::::::::::

from herman's hermits

Mrs. Brown, you've got a lovely daughter
                    Girls as sharp as her are somethin' rare
                    But it's sad, she doesn't love me now
                    She's made it clear enough it ain't no good to pine

but i thought he said "...it ain't no good to whine!"
                    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Mondegreens: Stop the Cat Box?

"Sherrie, she don't like it... stop the cat box! stop the cat box!"

That IS the lyrics, right? Not.

There was a commercial recently (I can't remember by whom) that touched on the topic of making up lyrics while singing to popular radio tunes. Obviously the song is ROCK THE CASBAH by THE CLASH.

Surely we've all sung to songs on the radio that's had us lyrically-stumped. At least I definately have!

Take for instance, Tom Sawyer by RUSH. The correct opening lyrics are:
                      A modern-day warrior
                      Mean mean stride,
                      Today's Tom Sawyer
                      Mean mean pride.

(what does that mean, anyway?) lol

Though out-of-the-know, one might interpret and sing along as:
                      Monday warrior
                      mean mean strive
                      today Tom Sawyer
                      mean mean pry

AC/DC's Brian Johnson is certainly one of the hardest vocalists to understand, lyrics-wise. Almost every verse sounds like one, entirely integrated word...

Backinblack
                      Ihitthesack
                      beentoolong
                      I'mgladtobeback
                      youknowI'm...

What songs' lyrics have thrown you off? Please share your "take" on it!

Sit next to someone singing along with (iPod) headphones on. That's the funniest!
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Stop the Cat Box?

I knew this girl in the 90's who thought an MC Hammer song was "Turn This Meat Out"
                        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Re: Mondegreens: Stop the Cat Box?

Sorry 'bout that Admin. Didn't know this subject already existed here, nor would I have known what keyword to search for it.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: Stop the Cat Box?

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                            I knew this girl in the 90's who thought an MC Hammer song was "Turn This Meat Out"
                            Hard to imagine how "mutha" (mother) can sound like "meat". Interesting twist though.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

in the Rolling Stones' "Beast of Burden", I could swear Mick Jagger says he can "suck a duck". Classic case for me was Whoopi Goldberg in her movie "Jumping Jack Flash" trying to figure out the lyrics of said song while getting stoned, dancing around her living room in a ratty old robe & big huge slippers. Very funny scene
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I had a friend who would purposefully sing lyrics wrong to get it stuck in another friend of mine's head. Almost always worked..

"Maaaan I got the runs... Maaan I got the runs." ("Man on the Run")

Another good one, from the 80s: "I'm your Venus.. I'm your fire, your desire" He sing a 'P' instead of a 'V'. To this day I can't listen to that song without hearing it his way.

Comment

Working...
                                X