Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody going to see Makaha Sons on 9/22?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody going to see Makaha Sons on 9/22?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Maybe the answer, `Alika, is if you just ask if you can sing with or for Hoku backstage, sometime before or after the show. Don't bring up the suggestion of coming onstage at all. If he feels it's appropriate, then he may offer. If it's not appropriate, then you haven't put him in an awkward position - and that's what's important here.
    'A'ole pilikia, I wasn't even planning on bringing the topic of possibly doing it onstage up in the first place anyway. All I am hoping to do is ask if I can sing.

'Alika
    'Alika

Comment

Originally posted by akrauth View Post
      'A'ole pilikia, I wasn't even planning on bringing the topic of possibly doing it onstage up in the first place anyway. All I am hoping to do is ask if I can sing.

'Alika
      With all due respect, Alika, in post #2 you wrote:
      "I know the story and everything and will tell my audience about it before I sing it. I may even translate each line of the song after I sing it in Hawaiian. Also, at the end of the concert, I hope to ask all the performers if we can all sing "Hawai'i Aloha" and have the audience sing along. Wish me luck!"
      (Emphasis is mine.)
      That sure sounds to me as if you were planning to ask to be included on stage.

Pua'i Mana'o and Leo Lakio are right in their advice. It sounds like you now have another plan in place and that's a good thing. Enjoy the concert.

Comment

If the risk of embarrassing the entertainers-- who will be caught unawares with such a request, and to even consider it means they must weigh the needs of the show against the unknown constraints presented just to indulge in the curiosity of a blind teenager who just wants to sing with them-- is worth it to you, then ask.

If learning how to prioritize your wants against others' needs and schedules is a haʻawina that you should need to be exposed to at this stage in life, then learn it and refrain.

pax

Comment

No; I won't be at that show -- but will be at the University of Maryland show on 9/26. Went to see them there last year, nice venue. Different from Wolf Trap venues.

I'm looking forward to the show -- a little bit of Hawaii to look forward to.
          ~Aloha! Christina~
          Greek by heritage, Australian by birth, American by chance, Hawaiian at heart.

Comment

Have fun, Christina! I'll tell you all how this one is.

'Alika
            'Alika

Comment

Alika,

I guess I'll be reading your report before I go to my show. Mom and I are looking forward to our little piece of Hawai'i here on the East Coast
              ~Aloha! Christina~

Comment

Originally posted by Lanikaibabe View Post
                Alika,

I guess I'll be reading your report before I go to my show. Mom and I are looking forward to our little piece of Hawai'i here on the East Coast
                I hope you have a great time.

I wouldn't say this publicly if your e-mail address was working okay, but I still don't think it is, so I will ask, did you get the private message through this board that I wrote in reply to yours? Is there another e-mail address I can send messages to that might work better than your hotmail one? You can PM me with your answer if that's what you'd rather do.

Mahalo,
                'Alika
                'Alika

Comment

I did -- but I was online earlier and didn't have a chance to "do it all" -- had to run... as I do now -- some times I don't have all the time I'd like online... lol -- will write tomorrow.
                  ~Aloha! Christina~

Comment

Hiki mai. I'll look out for it.

Mahalo,
                    'Alika
                    'Alika

Comment

This is a message that I posted on taropatch.net that I wanted to share with you guys.

Aloha mai kakou,

I just thought I'd give you all this message.

I just got an e-mail from Sharlene Oshiro earlier saying that she thinks I should have some more training in the ha'i style before singing "'Alika" on stage with Hoku Zuttermeister at the Makaha Sons concert in New Hampshire because he has been doing it since the beginning of his career. She went on to say that she understands how much of a challenge it is to sing ha'i after being trained and classical and opera music for so long.

I do believe she was right. Ha'i isn't my specialty, and I'm not that great at it compared to some of the other artists I know and love like Raiatea, Auntie Genoa, etc, and that's okay. I'm glad I had the oppurtunity to record it.

I wrote back to her saying that my feelings were not hurt at all. I would like to say mahalo to Sharlene and her associates for listening to my recording and being honest with me about their feelings about it. I will keep singing, playing the piano, and appreciating not just Hawaiian music but all types of music. Who knows, but maybe when I get a little older, I'll listen back at my recording of "'Alika" and say, "OK, this is a part that I need to work on" and work on it.

I also wanted to say mahalo nui loa to everybody from taropatch and elsewhere for their support and aloha. Mahalo for all your kind e-mails.

If anybody else on this board would like to hear my recording of this song that I sent to Sharlene and her associates, please e-mail me, PM me, or reply online here, and I'll be happy to send you a file of me singing it. I hope you enjoy it.

Aloha no, a hui hou,
                      'Alika
                      'Alika

Comment

Well I'm no music expert but I would imagine that the harder you try the more frustrating it gets.

If it's to sound natural then I suspect the effort should be as well. Trying isn't good enough, being it is a good start...well that's what my sensei told me when he instructed me to grab the pencil thru the block of wood. Basically he wanted me to splinter the wood to get to the pencil but not think the wood was a barrier. He said, "you try you fail, you do, you succeed"

Kinda like If can can, If no can, bottle. meaning if no can, do something else.

Good luck, take some drugs, clear the mind and sing til it hurts! Focus on moving the listener to tears.

And hey let us hear you...it may not be good enough for Oshiro, but to us I'm sure we can appreciate it as I'm no expert and can enjoy even a good Karaoke night with the bottom ten Hawaii Stars contestants!
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                          No comments from us here in Hawai`i nei, as we can see the Sons all over the place and usually for free. Just another reason for "Lucky we live Hawai`i."
                          But enjoy the show!
                          Where on Oahu do they perform for FREE? Most events (actually all) I've heard of that included the Makaha Sons have been paid venues. Unless they're doing cameos somewhere that you know about. Perhaps somewhere on the west side? I haven't seen them at a Ho'olaulea in years. Correct me if I'm wrong somewhere here.

I'm just thankful Henry Kapono still plays Sunday's at Duke's for FREE (no minimum drink requirement).
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                            Where on Oahu do they perform for FREE? Most events (actually all) I've heard of that included the Makaha Sons have been paid venues.
                            Various and sundry benefit gigs and fundraisers and charity events, unless they've very recently completely stopped doing those.
                            I just keep an eye on their website and the listings in the papers.
                            But I haven't bothered going to see them recently, since they continue to invite convicted child molester Kinky Chinky Mahoe to perform with them.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              But I haven't bothered going to see them recently, since they continue to invite convicted child molester Kinky Chinky Mahoe to perform with them.
                              Good choice..
                              Aloha,
                              Mokihana

Comment

Ooooh what's this? Maybe I shouldn't go and support them now!
                                ~Aloha! Christina~

Comment

Working...
                                X