Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jimmy Buffett concert "rules"

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Well, you'd need to find the females willing to put very cold bags of margaritas on their chests and to wear them for at least half an hour. (Bags were in ice chests in the limo. Stuffed the bags into the bras in the limo at the last minute, sauntered past Security and on to the seats. Removed bags.)
    Our girls said once was enough.
    I'll miss those girls.

I'd do it. Half the time I'm having hot flashes anyway! LOL! The last time I saw Jimmy Buffett in concert, it was at the shell. 1981 or 1982. Don't remember much. Not much at all.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      I'd do it. Half the time I'm having hot flashes anyway! LOL! The last time I saw Jimmy Buffett in concert, it was at the shell. 1981 or 1982. Don't remember much. Not much at all.

LOL Lavagal!! Seems like that happens to a LOT of people at his concerts! I can't wait to see all the crazy people (me not included of course ) Thursday night!

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
        Seems like that happens to a LOT of people at his concerts!
        That's when you know a musician has stood the test of time: When their fans go from "not remembering" the concert back then - to now experiencing hot flashes.

So far, I'm not sure who's concert contraband tip sounds better (or worse)? LanikaiBabe's "Tampon-Tampered Bootleg", Lei Liko's "Butt Crack Whiskey" or LikaNui's "Boob-A-Ritas". All of the above!

I'm really not familiar with Jimmy Buffett's music beyond the mainstream stuff. I'd probably be content just hearing him sing "Margaritaville" for the entire 2-hour set.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          The last time I saw Jimmy Buffett in concert, it was at the shell. 1981 or 1982. Don't remember much. Not much at all.
          LOL. That means you did it right!

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
          I'm really not familiar with Jimmy Buffett's music beyond the mainstream stuff. I'd probably be content just hearing him sing "Margaritaville" for the entire 2-hour set.
          Awwww, I feel sorry for you, leading such a deprived life. (Notice I said deprived, not depraved.) Go to just one Buffett concert and you'll be hooked for life. It's good for the soul. And heck, Buffett was born on December 25, and how can you beat that? It's my main reason to celebrate Christmas.
          But seriously, your Margaritaville comment is heard often. And that's what's so amazing about Buffett. He hasn't had a mainstream "hit" song since "Margaritaville" was released in 1977. Back then, it reached #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, topped the Easy Listening (Adult Contemporary) chart at #1, and peaked at #13 on the Hot Country Songs chart. But here we are, 30 years later, and his fans are still rabid and fanatically loyal. For the past couple of decades, Buffett has continued to be in the annual Top 10 (and often the Top 5) on the list of highest grossing touring bands.
          Read that last sentence again.
          For someone who hasn't had a "hit" for exactly 30 years, that touring record is nothing short of phenomenal.
          He's also a brilliant businessman, with his financial finger in a helluva lot of different pies. I just now found an interesting piece at this link on Wikipedia, which among other things notes "According to a 2006 Rolling Stone magazine article, Buffett was listed as the 7th richest rock star." And again, that's 29 years after his only major hit.
          He's also a best-selling author. That Wikipedia link says
          "Buffett has written 3 No. 1 best sellers. Tales from Margaritaville and Where Is Joe Merchant? both spent over seven months on the New York Times Best Seller fiction list. His book A Pirate Looks At Fifty went straight to No. 1 on the New York Times Bestseller non-fiction list, making him one of seven authors in that list's history to have reached No. 1 on both the fiction and non-fiction lists. The other six authors who have accomplished this are Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, William Styron, Irving Wallace, Dr. Seuss and Mitch Albom."
          That's damned heady company!
          All of that is well and good, as is his strong financial support -- and hands-on involvement with -- numerous charities for keiki and for the environment. He even created some of those charities.
          But perhaps topping the list of his connections to Hawaii is the unconfirmed but oft repeated tale of an event at the Waikiki Shell many moons ago. Buffett is a pal of Henry Kapono, and legend has it that he was backstage at a concert where C&K were playing, among others. One of those others was Bruddah IZ. Apparently Buffett was well lubricated, and at one point went into the men's room backstage, followed a bit later by IZ, who also had to answer the call of nature. IZ came back out, Buffett didn't. The story goes that Buffett's inebriation caused him to make a rude comment to IZ about his size, and IZ supposedly popped him one and knocked Buffett out cold.
          Buffett has mellowed out a lot from those old days, but some folks think that Buffett must still have nightmares about one large Hawaiian turning out his lights.
          Last edited by LikaNui; October 4, 2007, 07:51 AM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Jimmy Buffett concert parking and show recap

So we were expecting the worst when we arrived at the Shell at 4:30. I was ready to go straight to the second parking lot when my wife spotted a couple open stalls near the bus stop. Pulled into the lot and scored a space 4 spots from the parking lot exit. Unreal...that never happens to me.

The show was stellar as usual. We brought our nephews (12 & 15) who actually had a great time at their first concert. I gave the younger one a game to play while we waited for the gates to open, count the sunburned tourists. He lost count somewhere around 150 when the bizarre costumes of the mainland concert goers proved to be way more entertaining. As my wife and I left the concession stand with our cheeseburgers (natch), I whispered in her ear..."look, middle aged haoles as far as the eye can see". Yeah, it was not a "local" scene at all. How do those mainland guys get all the good tickets anyway? We had 5th row seats courtesy of Perry & Price and my quick dialing finger.

The show opened with Jake Shimabukuro and Robert Greenidge doing a couple songs including Jakes take on "While my Guitar gently weeps". Then jimmy and the band kicked into "One Particular Harbor" and kept going for 2 1/5 hours. Jake played with the band on at least 1/2 the songs and from our vantage could see Jimmy just light up whenever Jake took a solo. The look on his face said "now isn't that just the coolest thing ever?".

That great parking space allowed us a quick escape and we were all back home in Ewa before 11pm (nice when you have the alarm set for 4:30).

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
              The show was stellar as usual.
              Amen to that! Thanks for your report, and congrats on finding that parking spot!
              We parked at Kahala Mall, ate at CPK, then grabbed a cab to the Shell and back. No problem at all.
              Interesting that our group commented on exactly the same thing you did about Margaritaville being Haoleville. There's no real surprise there. And yes, good fun just people-watching, and a treat seeing Jake in about half the show.
              All in all, a most excellent concert, as expected!
              And here's a news flash for ya -- contracts were signed yesterday, and Margaritaville is definitely coming to Waikiki!!!

Comment

Oh holy hangover. Thank goodness I have the day off today.

I found decent parking, btw. It's called pulling into the valet at the ResortQuest, telling em you're going to Tiki's, and getting the ticket validated at Tiki's. We got there at 6 and even though the validation was good for 3 hours, we still paid only 4 bucks. Plus tip wasn't too bad. Neither was the walk.
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Wow...what a great night! The Pau Hana Parrothead pre-concert party at the Elks Club was well attended by Parrotheads from all over the world...many in crazy costumes (as to be expected). There was a taco bar, silent auction, music and $2 mai tais and beer. The sunset was beautiful to watch from the lanai overlooking the ocean. After the party (which started at 1 p.m.), everyone headed over to the Shell to enjoy JB and the Coral Reefer Band. Listening to his music is just as entertaining as all the people watching. I commented to my hubby about not seeing so many haoles in one place in a LONG time! After the concert, we made a pit stop at our hotel room (Queen Kapiolani....with a beautiful view of Diamondhead) and then headed "to the streets". Lulu's and Tiki's were packed with Parrotheads. We decided to go to Cheeseburger in Paradise for a drink and pupus (even though hubby doesn't like the idea that someone besides JB is using that name for a restaurant!).
                  We're looking forward to Margaritaville opening up in Waikiki (but would rather have a House of Blues). Now we have to rest up for our next JB concert....3 weeks from tomorrow in Las Vegas! (Hubby's idea as a birthday present for me) Thinking about taking a grass skirt with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Jeff View Post
                    The show opened with Jake Shimabukuro and Robert Greenidge doing a couple songs including Jakes take on "While my Guitar gently weeps".
                    Cool. Does Greenidge regularly tour with Buffett? I enjoyed the albums he did with Michael Utley back in the '80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Cool. Does Greenidge regularly tour with Buffett? I enjoyed the albums he did with Michael Utley back in the '80s.
                      Yes, he's been touring with Jimmy for many many years. You can read about their first Caribbean meeting in JB's book " A Pirate Looks At 50." It's been nonstop ever since.
                      Greenidge is also a very vocal supporter of Jake Shimabukuro. Try to get Jimmy's "Live At Wrigley Field" DVD. Jake opened the show by playing the national anthem (and Greenidge joins in on steel drums about halfway through). Amazing. And by the end of the song, everyone in the packed Wrigley Field audience was on their feet and screaming for more from Jake, and Greenidge was smiling ear to ear.
                      Very very cool.

Comment

LikaNui, yesterday at Duke's, Henry Kapono closed his show with Volcano, followed by Margaritaville. The (packed wall-to-wall) crowd went NUTS. There were lots of folks from the Thursday concert there. You could tell because they were wearing JB T-Shirts.

Immediately following those 2 songs, he did his own "Duke's on Sunday", to which the crowd was looking at each other like, "WTF? This isn't a Jimmy Buffett song". lol

It was a blast!
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

LikaNui, yesterday at Duke's, Henry Kapono closed his show with Volcano, followed by Margaritaville. The (packed wall-to-wall) crowd went NUTS.
                          Yeah, Henry always packs 'em in at Duke's. Huge crowds. He's had "Volcano" on his regular playlist for several years now (as you probably know yourself, but other readers here might not), and it's not unusual for Henry to do "Margaritaville" either, though nowhere near as often as "Volcano."

Immediately following those 2 songs, he did his own "Duke's on Sunday", to which the crowd was looking at each other like, "WTF? This isn't a Jimmy Buffett song". lol
                          When I first heard Henry play that a couple of years ago, I wasn't too fond of the song. Pretty vanilla. Boring. So I was surprised to see that Buffett recorded it last year on his "Take The Weather With You" CD. And of course he played it at the Shell last week. Very good arrangement, with the steel drums and all (and Jake,too).
                          Anyone else who was there Thursday have a comment?

It was a blast!
                          Usually is! And I'm a bit surprised that Buffett wasn't there, since he's in town until tomorrow. He would've joined Henry if he'd been there at all, so... [/shrug]

Comment

Personally, I've always liked the song "Dukes on Sundays" and thought that it was great that Jimmy sang the song, especially since he's been part of the entertainment in the past at Duke's on Sundays. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              He's had "Volcano" on his regular playlist for several years now (as you probably know yourself, but other readers here might not), and it's not unusual for Henry to do "Margaritaville" either, though nowhere near as often as "Volcano."
                              Now that I think about it, you're right! The songs just never stood out or was appreciated (heck, more like celebrated!) as much as it was yesterday with all the "Parrotheads" there.

I did NOT know JB also did a cover of "Duke's on Sunday". Then maybe the crowd was just disappointed that the Margaritaville song was over.

If he doesn't do this already, he should do what the late Don Ho used to do with "Tiny Bubbles": Play "Margaritaville" twice; both at the beginning AND at the end of the concert, just in case anyone missed the first set.

I missed the concert Jimmy played at Duke's a few years ago, but I understand the house was packed beyond room capacity, including an overflow of onlookers on the beach front.

There's some pictures of this past Thursday's concert here.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
                                Personally, I've always liked the song "Dukes on Sundays"
                                That's because you're so darned YOUNG.
                                (See what happens when you call me "an old fut" in a PM? [/hug] )

Now that I think about it, you're right!
                                And that surprises you??? (Actually, it usually surprises me.)

The songs just never stood out or was appreciated (heck, more like celebrated!) as much as it was yesterday with all the "Parrotheads" there.
                                That makes sense.

I did NOT know JB also did a cover of "Duke's on Sunday".
                                If/when we do a UH football day, remind me to play it for you. You could also go to Border's and check it out on one of their Listening Machines or whatever they call those things where you can preview a CD before buying it, though they only play part of each song.
                                Option #3 is to just buy the "Take The Weather With You" CD.
                                Warning: buying Jimmy Buffett CD's is addicting. I've got 19 of 'em, plus two DVDs.
                                Guess I need toi find a monthly meeting to attend. "Hi. I'm LikaNui, and I'm a Parrothead." Wonder what the 12 steps would be.
                                Anyway.
                                You also need to check out Buffett's "Live In Hawaii" CD (like at this link on Amazon.com). It's a double CD, recorded at the Waikiki Shell and at the Maui Arts & Cultural Center in 2004. It's a double-disc set AND it includes a third disc which is a DVD of the shows! But wait... there's more!
                                Jimmy is introduced by Don Ho... he does "Quiet Village" with Martin Denny... and he does both "Back To The Island" and yes "VOLCANO" with (drumroll) Henry Kapono!!!
                                And he does the Parrotheads national anthem, too. No, not "Margaritaville" but rather the tender ballad (hah!) "Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw".
                                And a voice from the heavens thundered "Thou shalt purchase!"

Comment

Working...
                                X