X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Hawaiian and Local Books

Originally posted by Linkmeister
    Resuscitate this thread.

Here's a quote from a Carl Hiassen foreword to a re-issue of one of John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee books:

Hiassen himself writes satirical novels about Florida and its denizens.

My question is: Are there any Hawai'i'-based authors who write fiction which addresses the rapid growth and accompanying sleaze of this place we live? For non-fiction, Gavan Daws' Land and Power is probably the go-to book, but I've never heard of fiction which covers the topic. Seems to me there's plenty of material.

Any thoughts?
    Kiana Davenport covers modern Hawai'i somewhat in her novels Shark Dialogues and Song of the Exile, especially the former - one character is an activist protesting overdevelopment on the Big Island. Some of her writing is a bit over the top and locals will catch a few inaccuracies but I have read both novels several times - wish she would write more!

Well, it looks like my wish is granted - she has another novel coming out next year. Can't wait!!!
    Last edited by AuntieNellieKulolo; August 10, 2005, 06:57 AM.

Comment

I agree. I enjoyed Shark Dialogues, dispite it's over the top quality. Maybe because of it.

Lois Yamanaka has got her finger on the pulse of adolescence. I did not grow up in Hawaii, but I did grow up. OK wait. That might be an overstatement. I did live through those tween years and could related to all her representations.

If anyone's interesting in fiction that depicts old Hawai, circa 1850, check out O.A. Bushness's Ka'a'awa.

Happy reading! And thanks to all for the recommendations.

Comment

I highly recommend the novel "Black Ocean" by local author Rick Blaine.

I'm biased -- he's a buddy of mine and I edited the book. But it's really good. Available in local bookstores or by mail order.

Comment

I recently enjoyed a book called "West of Then : a mother, a daughter, and a journey past paradise", by Tara Bray Smith. It's the memoir of a woman who was born into a rich family in Kahala, and how her family disintegrated with her mother's increasing drug addiction. Lots of description of local places and events that will be more familiar with you than to me - my wife (local girl) found it pretty interesting. Draws something of a parallel between the history and development of Hawaii and the author's family. Very heartbreaking story how the mother's addiction just destroyed her life and could have ruined her childrens'. A good read.
          Amazon link

There's another book called "The Money Dragon" by Pam Chun that was well received a few years ago. It's a fictionalized memoir of the establishment of Honolulu Chinatown. I have to admit I haven't read it myself but I bought it for my mom and it brought back a lot of childhood memories for her. She gave it a thumbs up.
          Another Amazon link:

Comment

Working...
          X