Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which book should I read?

I knew someone was going to call me on that. *sigh*

It was a bad comparison. I regretted it the moment I clicked SUBMIT.

Yes. Art is subjective. Clearly, there are people who think The Tattoo is better than The Good Earth, and I listed a few reasons someone might think so. On the other hand, there are people who think a McDonald's cheeseburger is better than the veal marsala at Cafe Sistina, and while there's a time and place for each, the layers of flavor and the skill required to make the veal marsala make it, on at least those objective scales, something more to be admired.

There. I've replaced one bad analogy with a slightly better one. I think.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      For local lit, my current fave is still Lois-Ann Yamanaka. Her characters are the kids I grew up with... the ones my mom told me not to hang out with.
      I absolutely agree; I love Lois-Ann's books. Makes me feel that I'm back home, growing up in the islands.
      Aloha,
      Mokihana

Comment

Probably also comes down a lot to taste.

I'd choose Chris McKinnley in a heartbeat.. because I really like that writing style and it all takes place in Hawaii.

Regarding Pearl S. Buck.. I know I'm not giving that one a fair chance.. but I just think of a heavily christian-influenced book with the missionary influence. Something about that turns me away - like I'm afraid it might become a bit too preachy or something. But being that I'm just making judgements on that, and haven't given the book a glance, I might not be an expert on that.

1984.. I did read that. Yeah, classic literature. I forced myself to read it once a long time ago.. that was enough for me. But yeah, exposure to it is always good. (I'd still prefer McKinnley though).

The Da Vinci Code. I just finished reading that a few weeks ago. Its an interesting read overall. Dan Brown is really becoming popular. One of his books was enough for me, but I like the topic and concept of the book throughout.

In short, I guess we're all different people.. so you'll definetely get all different answers on all of these.

Comment

Aloha Scrivener,

I have just finished "The Good Earth" (it was on my kid's summer reading list and I have been pounding through it since Sunday). I have so many things to say about this book and thus I dug this thread back up because I would like to invite you to "get carried away" and share with me (well, HT) your heartfelt opinion on it. Would you care to take me up on that invitation?

pax

Comment

Oh, you know I want this. Let's make a new thread in the books section.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Adrian - you're an adult now. Read whatever book you like. Make up your own mind. You don't need others to TELL you what to read. All your choices are good ones - why not read them all?

Fran
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Did any of you see the dramatization of Yamanaka's "Fishbowl" when it was presented on PBS' "Independent Lens" series a couple of months ago? I believe it is being re-run this month; check your listings.

I missed it first time; won't do that this time.

Comment

Working...
                X