Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Managing with Aloha

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o

Where is the "two slaps!" icon when you need it?!?
    Kden. Do not give her the book. Give her some gardenias instead. How profound could she get over a bunch of gardenias?

Don't answer that.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
      White-Out would work.
      Make shuah u white-out both sides!
      Aloha,
      Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana
        Make shuah u white-out both sides!

<runs shrieking>

AAIIIII!!! You guys fo' get me in trouble! You know how much {{{closure}}} I goin' have to endure?!?!?!

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
          Mahalo for the links! Again, I can take or leave that stuff, and even though I am a wahine, I lack whatever chromosome it is that gets in touch with my inner-Oprah. But the boss? She is all about the cheese maintenance, laws of leadership, Covey planners, you name it.
          A true micromanager....did your boss ever consider a career as a DOE principal?
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
            A true micromanager....did your boss ever consider a career as a DOE principal?

}}choke{{

pax

Comment

a good friend and and bandmate was talking about this book recently...he found it insightful, although smarmy at times, as most self-help books are...not that i've read any...which might explain why i'm temporarily couch surfing until my new apartment opens up in september...
              Don't be mean,
              try to help.

Comment

I'm halfway through the book right now. The values she discusses are probably familiar to most people who were raised in the Islands (or may have strong connections to them.) I suspect Mainlanders might gain a lot from hearing these values from an unfamiliar perspective, though they might also misunderstand and think these are religious values.

I guess I'm on the fence about the book at this point; I'm enjoying her take on these ideas, but I'm not finding any "oh, wow" aspects yet. Maybe I'll post something else when I finish it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                  Maybe I'll post something else when I finish it.
                  Please do! I don't think I'm the only one here who would generally refuse to touch a "management" book with a ten-foot pole... but to get the honest opinion of a reader, and perhaps one with a healthy sense of skepticism, would be quite valuable.

Comment

Finished the book on a plane this weekend - it took a while, because I found my interest fading mid-book. I suspect that it is because I am not in a management position, and the book is clearly aimed at those who are.

I read it with a Mainland perspective, as one who is curious about Hawaiian culture and values, and I wanted to see what concepts Ms. Say would choose to present, and how they would tie into management ideas.

The topics discussed are useful for life, even in a non-managerial setting (`Ohana, Kuleana, Kakou, and 13 more), so I wish the book had focused more on how to incorporate them into personal behavior overall, not just in a work setting (but the book's title is very clear in presenting it as a management tool.)

I would have wished for fewer of Ms. Say's personal anecdotes as examples of each topic, but I also appreciate that she needed examples in each case - and she chose her own life's work, rather than fictional ones. I'd rather get more background in the development of each value.

My guess is that people who were raised in the Islands are likely to have already been exposed to all of these concepts growing up, in which case her examples could serve as reminders how to make them part of your management style. Mainlanders now working in management in Hawai`i have the most to gain from the book, as they generally have the most to learn about how business is done with respect to Hawaiian ways.

I'd be pleased if these concepts caught on here on the Mainland, but people would need to learn them outside of a management arena first, which would involve a wholesale change in a lot of folks' perceptions of Hawai`i.
                    Last edited by Leo Lakio; October 11, 2005, 06:34 AM. Reason: typo, natch.

Comment

Working...
                    X