Book genres that rock your world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Book genres that rock your world

...about that C&C of Honolulu-funded coffee table book...

pax

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      That was the first one I bought for myself, and yes, I love it. I also have The Complete Idiot's Guide to the American Presidents
      yas know, lately I do believe idiots must be guiding the american presidents.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
        ...about that C&C of Honolulu-funded coffee table book...
        that was no book, that was overly designed kindling.

Comment

My dorky adolescence (succeeded now by my dorky adulthood) gives me a soft spot for science fiction and fantasy. Although my preference was either dark, now cheesy '80s cyberpunk (William Gibson) or the totally absurd (Douglas Adams). Political fiction probably comes in second, and your typical crime dramas third.

Of course now, my favorite books are any books I can find time to read. If I get through one or two thick tomes a year, I'm lucky.

Comment

I read a lot of books on travel. Paul Theroux, Tim Cahill, Redmond O'Hanlon, Bill Bryson and the like. I'm also partial to stories real or fictional that involve ships and sailing.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              My dorky adolescence (succeeded now by my dorky adulthood) gives me a soft spot for science fiction and fantasy. Although my preference was either dark, now cheesy '80s cyberpunk (William Gibson) or the totally absurd (Douglas Adams). Political fiction probably comes in second, and your typical crime dramas third.
              If you liked William Gibson, you should read Bruce Sterling. His novels Heavy Weather and Distraction used to be science fiction, but in today's world just sound like gonzo journalism.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
                I read a lot of books on travel. Paul Theroux, Tim Cahill, Redmond O'Hanlon, Bill Bryson and the like. I'm also partial to stories real or fictional that involve ships and sailing.

yea anything by Paul Theroux is fab. happy isles of oceania is great.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  yea anything by Paul Theroux is fab. happy isles of oceania is great.
                  He's my favorite of them all. I've read all his stuff. Just finished "Dark Star Safari", his recent work. He's an Oahu resident these days but you probably knew that. Keeps bees I'm told. I would recommend "Hotel Honolulu" although it's not travel writing. I thought it had some great insights on living in Hawaii and the characters you find living there.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                  X