Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bestsellers that suck

Originally posted by MadAzza
    My sister worked in a bookstore during the 1980s. One day a customer came in and asked, "Do you carry Clan of the Care Bears?"
    she replied:
    "yea, but only for a few yards. da buggahs heavy azz why."

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      The Bridges of Madison County is nearly unreadable.
      I am not much of a novel reader. My tastes in books are World Almanacs, Rand McNally USA atlases, farming statistics, and other reference manuals.

But I too got carried away in the 1994 "Bridges" hoopla. I was told countless times that I just had to read it. And so I did.

I'm with Scrivener here. I personally found the book, with its implied approval of extra-marital infidelity, absurd.

Thankfully, it was only, give or take, about 200 pages of medium point-size print, and my time commitment to reading it was minimal.

Since my reading of "Bridges", I find myself gun-shy and unwilling to ever again read a "must read" fictional novel.

Comment

Almost all of John Grisham's books.

Comment

can I add another one to the SAFI category?

Frank Herbert's Dune. I read that whole series, and never looked at a sandy beach the same since, without thinking of worms and spice. Man! Did that book stretch my brain!

Then I read a spoof on the series, "Doon", and it scarred that fabulous experience and my cynicism could never morph back to appreciation.

Such a dork I was as a teen...

pax

Comment

The DaVinci Code wasn't all people said it was. I found it boring and unbelievable at times.
            Last edited by alohabear; September 8, 2005, 05:54 AM.
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

How about "The Notebook"?

GREAT movie, but when i ran for the book (mistakenly thinking, "Hey, this was written BEFORE the movie, it'll be even more fabulous than the movie!") it was so wooden. YIKES!

you would've thot it was written after the movie, one of those books.

BUT it's gotten my grumpy grampa (85 now), who was depressed after my Grandma died a few years ago, back into reading and more at peace with their relationship. So what can i say? i'm very grateful for that.

Still, as an author?

i've tried a few other books by the same guy & got the same results.

Comment

Working...
              X