What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

I had to read "Confucius Lives Next Door" by T.L. Reid for a summer course and I really enjoyed it. Its not a novel, but I did have to read it for school.

Comment

Just finished Dale Brown's Dreamland: Retribution and Michael Crichton's Next. They made the time pass quickly while flying to and from the East Coast. So now by the bed I am reading Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson (again) and the newest Better Homes and Gardens. I finally got my library card, so I'm ready for more.

Comment

I've just read all three books by Deborah Turrell Atkinson. They're mysteries set in Hawai'i with a brand-new lawyer named Storm Kayama as the heroine. She's half-Hawaiian, and there's a heavy dose of Hawaiian lore involved in all three; to my ears it's all reasonably accurate. I'm sure there are faults to be found, but I didn't notice them.

The mysteries are pretty good; I wouldn't have read all three if I'd been disappointed in the first one.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Made it to Borders yesterday, and the new book we are sharing at my house is "Da Jesus Book." the Hawaii Pidgin translation of the New Testament. I love it! I really like the way it translates some of the verses--It's easy to get used to the words and not think about what they mean. Like other Wycliffe translations, it was translated from the Greek.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
            Made it to Borders yesterday, and the new book we are sharing at my house is "Da Jesus Book." the Hawaii Pidgin translation of the New Testament. I love it! I really like the way it translates some of the verses--It's easy to get used to the words and not think about what they mean. Like other Wycliffe translations, it was translated from the Greek.

Got one for Christmas, Love it too!!!!
            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

I got it for Christmas as well.
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I am reading this very interesting book called:

Dear America which is set in the year 1864.

It is meant to look like a diary that Emma Simpson have been writing on it.

I found that in Savers one day, when I was looking through their stacks of books on their books shelves.

Sometimes it is hard for me to continue to read it because in 1864, is when that century where african americans were slaves, & were continued to be called negros.

Even spelling it out upsets me greatly .

Other than that minor flaw (in my own mindset), it is fairly interesting story.

I don't get much chance to read books that is set in a diary form, but I do like the story of it.

The next (second) book I will be reading (much later) is:

The SECRET.

I heard that book, is suppose to be good.

Does anyone have any comments about that book??

Just curios, that's all.
                Aches & Pains
                (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
                  I am reading this very interesting book called:

Dear America which is set in the year 1864.

It is meant to look like a diary that Emma Simpson have been writing on it.

I found that in Savers one day, when I was looking through their stacks of books on their books shelves.

Sometimes it is hard for me to continue to read it because in 1864, is when that century where african americans were slaves, & were continued to be called negros.

Even spelling it out upsets me greatly .
                  One day centuries from now when people read our archived magazines will find it disturbing at the way we use words, "Word up" "Props", "Sick" and wonder what the heck were we smoking back then.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                    One day centuries from now when people read our archived magazines will find it disturbing at the way we use words, "Word up" "Props", "Sick" and wonder what the heck were we smoking back then.
                    Yeah, I'm sure. lol.

I bet they'll really be surprised. lol.
                    Aches & Pains
                    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Last weekend I ripped/shredded/duked up my bookshelves. I have six boxes of books to be given away. Ugh! I love all my books, but decluttering is good for the mind, so I do it.

Anyway, I am rereading some Christopher Hitchens (tandem reading Why Orwell Matters and God is Not Great).

pax

Comment

Over the course of two days, I recently zipped through a pre-release copy of Dan Kennedy's memoir of working in the record industry (specifically Atlantic Records) right after its glory days, and just as it was sinking into the toilet, "Rock On." (Kennedy & I have many mutual acquaintenances, from his days in Seattle radio.)

Just started a book I've wanted to read for well over a year, "This Is Your Brain On Music," by Daniel J. Levitin. He's a rock musician, audio engineer, record producer and neuroscientist, who ties these worlds together in a book that deals with how the music of human beings evolved alongside the changes in our brains over the millennia, and what each teaches us about the other.

Comment

All the Shah's Men

Comment

"In The Company Of Crows And Ravens" by John M. Marzluff and Tony Angell. Fascinating reflections and studies of the smartest of all birds, and their evolving relationship to humans over time.

Comment

I just finished Mere Christianity by CS Lewis. I had tried to read it over 10 years ago but found it very boring, and my mind kept drifting. This time I listened to it on audiobook and loved it--also, having lived longer and had a lot more experiences to reflect on, and having a greater desire now to be better and do better, I think it made the book seem more relevant to me. There is so much wisdom and humility in what he has to say about Christianity.
                              * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                              - Anna Quindlen

Comment

I just started this audiobook: Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! (Adventures of a Curious Character)

Here's one summary I read on it:

In this phenomenal national bestseller, the Nobel Prize­winning physicist Richard P. Feynman recounts in his inimitable voice his adventures trading ideas on atomic physics with Einstein and Bohr and ideas on gambling with Nick the Greek, painting a naked female toreador, accompanying a ballet on his bongo drums and much else of an eyebrow-raising and hilarious nature.
                                Doesn't it look great?!
                                * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                                - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Working...
                                X