What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

Currently between books, so catching up on the two most recent issues of National Geographic, plus about three weeks' worth of daily newspapers (between entertaining visitors and being busy with many activities, I have a lot of catching up to do).

Comment

O`ahu's Hidden History by William Dorrance. We went to the Arizona Memorial and to the gift shop recently, and this was my acquisition. DS got a coloring book of State Parks.

Comment

"After Dachau", Daniel Quinn
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Following a very quick read of Susanna Moore's "I Myself Have Seen It" (a National Geographic book of Hawaiian "history" and "myths," as seen by a woman who knows she grew up with the perspective of a privileged haole), I am starting "The Cloudspotter's Guide," a book about the beauty of clouds, in all their shapes, styles and types, by Gavin Pretor-Pinney.

Comment

Native American Postcolonial Psychology by Eduardo Duran and Bonnie Duran

Comment

I am into book 2 of Na Kai Ewalu which the U of H in Hilo sent me a few weeks ago. Book 1 was mainly review but very helpful. I doubt if I could have understood it without some grounding in Hawaiian from the Zellie Sherwood book and computer chat room sessions with another student in Japan. In book 2 I think I am making some real headway in understanding the language. Why is this so much fun? I totally enjoy learning Hawaiian. I haven't opened book 3 yet but I hope I can handle it.

Comment

Just started reading A Thousand Splendid Suns... love it so far.

I did not read nor see The Kite Runner yet.

Comment

"How to Lose Friends & Alienate People" by Toby Young. Soon to be released motion picture. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455538/
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I just finished reading Birthright by Nora Roberts. What a snore. I can't believe I read the whole thing.

I just started My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Pretty good so far.

Comment

Nearly done with Norman Lebrecht's "The Life & Death of Classical Music." Lebrecht is a music reviewer in England, and the book has three parts:
                      1) An overview of how classical music (and its performers, promoters and personalities) was responsible for building the international recording industry for the better part of the 20th Century, but has all but died off recently;
                      2) Brief reviews of Lebrecht's choices for the 100 most influential classical recordings of all time;
                      3) More reviews of 20 classical recordings that Lebrecht's calls "the worst."

Comment

Geesh, I get a dizzying headache just reading what you guy's are reading!
                        I'm doing good if I make it thru the monthly issue of Vintage Guitar.

I now have a pair of reading glasses and have a renewed enjoyment of print!
                        I can once again read Non-Sequitur in the Sunday funnies, yea!
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                          I now have a pair of reading glasses and have a renewed enjoyment of print!
                          Ah - welcome, friend, to a little world I like to call "Aging." As my sweetie says, when I complain about its effects --- it beats the alternative!

Comment

Right now I'm reading

Interstitial by Ann Somerville - great novella, space opera with gay characters

Also reading:

Honolulu Then And Now
                            Hawai'i Looking Back
                            Images of America: Waikiki

Comment

"The Producer" by Dunstan Prial - biography of John Hammond, producer/"discoverer" of artists (including Billie Holiday, Count Basie, Charlie Christian, Benny Goodman, Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Ray Vaughan) for Columbia Records.

Comment

I just started The Woods by Harlan Coben.

Comment

Working...
                                X