Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

The Cold Moon by Jeffery Deaver.

Only into a few pages but Lincoln Rhyme is back.

I will let you know how it goes.

Comment

• Both interesting and heartbreaking...

Yesterday At Kalaupapa: A Saga Of Pain And Joy, by Emmit Cahill. Published in '91.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I just finished George Orwell’s Down and Out in Paris and London. Published in 1933, it was his first published book, and the first time he used the name George Orwell (Orwell’s real name was Eric Arthur Blair). It describes his journey (deliberate?) into poverty while living in Paris and London in the late 1920s (bouts of extreme hunger, his work as a dishwasher in Paris, living the life of a tramp in London).

I’m now into The Plague by Albert Camus, translation by Stuart Gilbert. This will be the third or fourth time I’ve read this novel.

Comment

Just finished 'Middlemarch' and 'A Briefer History of Time'.
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Just finishing, 'Endless Forms Most Beautiful' (Evo Devo)
            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

3rd book of The #1 Ladies Detective Agency series... "Morality for Beautiful Girls." By Alexander McCall Smith.

Comment

Just read "Rigged" by Ben Mezrich. Very quick read and overall unsatisfying.
                What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Mr. Monk Goes to Hawaii

Comment

World War Z - Max Brooks
                    Sell Like the Best - Stephan Schiffman

And of course, The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology

Comment

Just finished a bio of Peter Cook (British comedian) - it was poorly written by his first wife (twas more about her than about him).

Comment

We Go Eat: A Mixed Plate from Hawai`i's Food Culture; it is an anthology of essays about food in Hawai`i.

It's got me lookin' for oxtail soup at the Kam Bowl. Off to check the other thread....

Comment

Currently slogging through "The Templar Legacy" because I've read all the SF and SF short-story anthologies (my favorite) that I can find in bookstores, libraries, etc.

One of my recent favorites was "The Canadian Who Came Almost all the way back From the Stars," Elizabeth Bear, I think... but not sure, and it's long gone...., but it's one of those that sticks with you for a LONG time.

Oops, sorry, it's The Canadian Who Came Almost All the Way Back from the Stars, by Jay Lake. A good new SF writer. Sorry Liz - I admire your own stuff equally at least.

I can NEVER get enough to read. Nat. Geo., Analog, The Sun, and the 2 or 3 annual anthologies of SF short stories and novelettes. Plus good novels, historical exegeses, religious redactions and on and on.
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                            We Go Eat: A Mixed Plate from Hawai`i's Food Culture; it is an anthology of essays about food in Hawai`i.

It's got me lookin' for oxtail soup at the Kam Bowl. Off to check the other thread....
                            cyleet99, in case you couldn't find it in the other thread:
                            The famous oxtail soup from Kam Bowl and Kapiolani Coffee Shop can still be found at Asahi Grill. It's operated by the same family that owned the earlier two places.
                            Still delicious, but portions are smaller and pricier than the good ol' days (just like everything else, it seems).

Asahi Grill is on Ward Avenue, between Kapiolani Blvd and Queen St. The parking lot is really small, so be prepared to park on the street (also hard to find). Or you could do what we do-- park at Ward Gateway Center near Ross & Sports Authority. Walk into one of those stores for a few minutes, then discreetly sneak over to Asahi Grill.

------------------

Oh, and getting back on topic: I'm gonna do a one-nighter w/ Angels & Demons before seeing the movie this weekend.
                            To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

Okay! Thanks, musubi! Today is a wandering day, and DS and I will head down that way. Mahalo for the guidance; I could not find the info in the other thread..way too sleepy. Will report back in the Kaukau forum!!

Comment

I was dying to read "The Widow Cliquot" By Tilar Mazzeo. It is the story of
                                the champange house Vueve Cliquot. She was a quite a pioneer in her time and did many great things. I wouldn't have it now except I got a 40% off coupon from Borders and just read the first few pages.The cover is neat because it is the same color as the famous yellow label bottle although I have had and thoroughly enjoyed their "Le Grande Dame" which is heavenly

Comment

Working...
                                X