Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Next up: Hallelujah Junction, writings by contemporary American classical composer John Adams.
    That's what I said when the first gal opened up her legs to me

okay that was very very very bad..........................okay moving on.

I just picked up another John Grisham paperback from the Salvation Army called, "King of Torts" just after finishing off, "The Summons" by Grisham. Seems his books tend to borrow characters and terms from each other.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov, translated from the Russian by Mirra Ginsburg. This book is considered one of the masterpieces of the 20th century.

Comment

The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa, translated from the Japanese by Stephen Snyder.

I’m about 60 pages in, and this is turning out to be a beautiful novel. It’s about a mathematics professor who has a memory problem due to a car accident in 1975. He remembers everything up to the time of his accident, but his current memory is limited to the last 80 minutes. The narrator (the housekeeper) has to introduce herself to him every day. And he can only relate to the outside world through mathematics.

Comment

A history of the recorded works of The Firesign Theatre. Written by a fan who has interviewed the members many times. Weak, but full of lovely FT trivia.

I think next I may revisit the fiction writing of humorist Stephen Fry. Who here knows who he is?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            I think next I may revisit the fiction writing of humorist Stephen Fry. Who here knows who he is?
            I’ve heard of him, but I’ve never read any of his writings. I do remember seeing some of the television episodes of Stephen Fry in America. Quite interesting to see America through the eyes of a Brit.

As for me, I just started reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, translated from the Swedish by Reg Keeland. I want to read the novel before I see the movie, but I want to see the Swedish version of the film before I see the Hollywood version. Whew!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              That's what I said when the first gal opened up her legs to me

okay that was very very very bad..........................okay moving on.

I just picked up another John Grisham paperback from the Salvation Army called, "King of Torts" just after finishing off, "The Summons" by Grisham. Seems his books tend to borrow characters and terms from each other.
              thank you for admitting you read for entertainment! I'm such a literary low-brow and get quite a complex sometimes with all the intellectuals on here
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                I’ve heard of him, but I’ve never read any of his writings. I do remember seeing some of the television episodes of Stephen Fry in America. Quite interesting to see America through the eyes of a Brit.
                I'd like to see those (and read the companion book) some day; I suspect the'll be out on DVD soon. A long time pal of Douglas ("Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy") Adams, for many years, Fry was the comedic acting partner of Hugh Laurie. They did a lot of stage work, a UK TV series ("A Bit of Fry & Laurie" - highlights out on DVD), and four fantastic seasons as the classic characters of "Jeeves & Wooster," which aired on PBS. (All good stuff for people who only know Hugh Laurie from "House.") Fry's novels are wonderfully comical, intriguingly twisted mysteries.

Comment

The new Harry Desden book (Jim Butcher) Changes. It's the 13th in the series, I think. He's shaking the series up a lot with this one so far- hence the title.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Yellow Blue Tibia by Adam Roberts (with an unofficial subtitle on the cover [in small type] that reads: Konstantin Skvorecky’s memoir of the alien invasion of 1986). This is a sci-fi novel by a British writer whose reputation seems to be growing. Relatively unknown in the US. But so far, this book is hilarious. Reminds me somewhat of Kurt Vonnegut.

Comment

Travis Elborough: "The Vinyl Countdown: The Album from LP to iPod and Back Again"

Comment

The Sleeping Dragon by Miyuki Miyabe, translated from the Japanese by Deborah Stuhr Iwabuchi. Miyabe is one of Japan’s most popular mystery writer. This one, like some of her previous novels, mixes mystery with the paranormal.

Comment

Just finished "The Fifth Child" by Doris Lessing, on the advice of my wife.

For dramatic fiction it's a bit fairy-tale in some aspects, then turns very dark and deep when the fifth child is born.....

Scale 1-10, 6
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

My last three books read were Gone for Good and Tell No Oneby Harlen Coben, and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See.

Comment

Airframe by Michael Crichton, bought at the Friends of the Library of Hawaiʻi Book Sale for $1. An information-filled, page-turner of a novel so typical of Crichton (one of my many guilty pleasures) revolving around an incident on a flight from Hong Kong to Denver that resulted in 3 deaths and 56 injuries, and along the way examines (pontificates on) the decline of journalism (broadcast more than print), the deregulation of the airline industry, unsavory corporate politics and intrigues, lax safety measures due to cutbacks, evil labor unions (at least up to where I’ve read so far), and . . . oh, yes . . . how safe is it to fly, anyway?

Comment

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, translated from the Spanish by Lucia Graves. A best-selling novel in Spain (and Europe as well), and apparently did pretty well in the U.S., though I had not heard of this book until recently.

NOTE: I usually try to link the title to Amazon.com because it usually gives a good overall review of the book should you want to read it. But just now, whenever I try to get there, I get re-directed to Facebook. Very strange. I don't know what's going on. But if you're interested in the book, you could go to Amazon.com later on.

Comment

Working...
                                X