What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

"Perfecting Sound Forever - An Aural History of Recorded Music" by Greg Milner; one of the most fascinating books I've ever read on this (admittedly tightly-focused) topic. It discusses the many connections between changes in recording technology and the types of music we make, including many factors of which I was not previously aware.

Comment

Recently finished "Marsbound" and currently reading "Starbound."
      Both written by Joe Haldeman, who, incidentally was in the 4th Division as a Combat Engineer in 1968 Vietnam, as was I, but we never met in-country.

Joe has written several award-winning noels, some of them Sci-Fi, others semi-historical and one autobiographical.

SH:
      War Year,

SF:
      The Forever War
      Forever Peace
      (and others)

Joe is prolific, but divides his time teaching at a New England University and writing in off times. Stephan King thinks he walks on water, but I think he spends just enough time on character development to round out his stories to make it all 'no ka o`i'.

I'd start with "The Forever War," and work your way through his works.
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

The Master and the Margarita.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

The new issue of Mojo is devoted exclusively to Frank Zappa, interesting and funny stuff. Lot's of cool pix too, good literature demands.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

"Still Alice" it is a most amazing and thought provoking book and a bit frightening. It's about a woman who is diagnosed with Alzheimer's and she's very early in her 50's. She and her husband are professors and it's very moving to have her think about losing her mind after she's so dependent on it and turns out what she has is genetic. A real page turner.

Comment

In my quest (ok, resolution!) to read 20 minutes per day which will enable me to get thru 10-15 books this year, I'm currently reading..."How God Changes Your Brain...Breakthrough Findings from a Leading Neuroscientist".

This book marries science and spirituality and explains positive physical changes to the brain with the practice of meditation and/or prayer. Very interesting but a difficult read for me. Not, to quote Leash, a page turner altho' I'm enjoying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                The Master and the Margarita.
                I read that book last year. It’s wickedly good!

As for me, I just started Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, translated from the Japanese by Jay Rubin. This is a re-read for me. It’s not one of Murakami’s best, but it s one of his better known works. A movie based on the book was just released in Japan.

Comment

Just finished "Starbound by Haldeman, and it is one WHOPPER of an ending!

You don't think I'd give it away, do you?

Now I'm reading "IMPACT" by Douglas Preston. It's a no-drop, page-turner thriller. It has some minor flaws, but the story and personalizations are good enough to overlook the flaws.
                  Oh, and it's on sale in hardback at Borders for $5.99!

All three books highly recommended!
                  ~ ~

Comment

Just finished Who Named the Knife by Linda Spalding. The book looks at a murder committed by William and Maryann Ackers at Hanauma Bay in 1978 (who really pulled the trigger?--that was and still is the question). Spalding was a juror during the trial of Maryann Ackers, but was dismissed from duty because she was five minutes late on the last day of the trial. She’s an accomplished writer and is married to prize-winning writer Michael Ondaajte (The English Patient). Interesting read. Accurate description of Hawaiʻi in the 70s and 80s. Brings back lots of memories.

I am now into Popular Hits of the Showa Era by Ryu Murakami, translated from the Japanese by Ralph McCarthy. Ryu Murakami (no relation to Haruki Murakami) is not for everyone. He’s edgy and ultra-violent, but goddammit, he writes well.

Comment

Another book I can't put down: Carnival by Elizabeth Bear. Deals with two 'gentle' males sent as diplomats to a planet ruled by women (governed?) where men are treated as chattel, either kept as studs, or if they are 'gentle,' employed as servents. Neither are allowed any measure of freedom outside the planet's laws.

An eye opener.
                      Last edited by Kaonohi; February 5, 2011, 02:28 PM. Reason: Gramma
                      ~ ~

Comment

I just started A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle. This was the first Sherlock Holmes novel, introducing Dr. Watson and his amazing companion to the world. Fascinating read.

NOTE: The above link is for the printed version. I am reading the Kindle e-book version. While searching for the link, I stumbled upon Amazon reviews of the free Kindle version, which included complaints about missing sections of the novel. There’s an interesting and telling list early on in the novel in which Watson describes the strengths and weaknesses of his new-found roommate. It is missing in the free version, but it is there in the upgraded $1.37 stand-alone version (and of course in the printed version). The version I bought was Kindle’s The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes for .99 (such a bargain!), so I quickly searched to see if my version had that list. It did. Whew!

On a more serious note, one of the reviewers (who seems a very knowledgeable Sherlock Holmes fan) went on to complain that the free Kindle version also deleted a clue later on in the novel. Hey! This is a mystery novel! How can you leave out a clue? There are many other concerns I have about e-books (quite often the free version). You’re probably better off spending the extra $1.37, or better yet .99, and get the full version. In short, you have to do your homework when buying e-books, particularly free versions.

Comment

I'm currently in the middle of "Little Face" by Sophie Hannah. I wish I knew where I heard about it! It's obviously used which means I bought it off half.com and at someone's recommendation!

That said...it's a double narrative mystery and I can't fathom how it will end! Looking forward to it, tho'.

"Sophie Hannah..delves successfully into moral quandaries: What does motherhood mean? What should a mother do when she thinks her child is in danger - especially if her own family doesn't agree?...It's Alice's choices and their consequences that make 'Little Face' so compelling." The Washington Post

Comment

just finished "Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" by Steig Larsson. and it was one of the best books I've read in years.

now reading "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens.
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

TV personality Craig Ferguson's biography, "American On Purpose." Not as hilarious as I was expecting, but I'm reading it for a work project.

Next on the stack: "Rocket Men" by Craig Nelson - history of Apollo 11.

Comment

I just started reading The Host, by Stephenie Meyer

Comment

Working...
                                X