What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What are you currently reading?

Keith is indeed full of the life force, otherwise he would not be here.

I am still trying to string up some my guitars as per Keiths tuning.

Remove one string and tune to an open fifth.

Comment

Hope it works for you!
      I've used an open D tuning quite a bit, but I want to try Keith's open G.
      Might be interesting to try his 5-string idea, though I love having that lower string too.
      And he also makes a 12-string into a 10-string. Interesting.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Roger Mcguinn from the Byrds was great on a twelve string.

My hands are small so I rely on an old Fender Duosonic and a Martin Stinger

for rythym.
        i like to play with a fuzz and a wawa pedal. A phase shift or chorus or two

livens things up.

Comment

I'm rereading some of Plato's dialogues. I remember how very important these writings were to building my moral education (I first read 'em at 9). Bible studies rank much lower - on a level equal to Dr. Seuss, but below Aesop's fables.
          May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Giles Foden's debut novel, The Last King of Scotland.

Comment

I was reading user reviews on Amazon of a book Migraine by Oliver Sacks, and the second review I happened to see was by Anne Rice, she of Interview with the Vampire fame. Usually the user reviews on Amazon are by regular people, not renowned people, so that was interesting. Then I clicked on the link Read-all-reviews-by-this-person that Amazon always provides, and I found that Anne Rice has written 15 pages of Amazon reviews -- here, http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview -- and that she sometimes responds to other Amazon readers' comments on her reviews.
              Last edited by GregLee; November 21, 2012, 04:12 PM.
              Greg

Comment

Pretty much everything Oliver Sacks has published is well worth

looking at or reading

In one astonishing case a ward full of catalepsy patients was dosed

with a precursor of dopamine and some got up from their chairs for
                the first time in decades

For reasons unknown at this moment, most relapsed.

Those that were healed are eternally grateful.

Comment

There are quite a few links on npr.org for Oliver sacks.http://www.npr.org/2012/11/06/164360...nations-happen

Comment

Neil Young: Waging Heavy Peace http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ETywVIKkg
                    Gregg Allman: My Cross To Bear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfOo6NUF2kM
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I’m currently reading Black Swan Green by David Mitchell. Unlike his first three novels, which were mind-bending in terms of time, space, and narrative structure (culminating with Cloud Atlas), this one is pretty straight-forward and is also his most autobiographical. It takes place in Worchestershire, England, during one year (1982), narrated by a 13-year old boy who is trying to cope with entering high school, fitting in, avoiding bullies, surviving life’s many perils, and the “epic” battle with his god-awful handicap of being a stutterer. In other words, it’s your usual coming-of-age story. But with Mitchell, there is no such thing as usual.

Comment

Just finished: Crow Planet by urban naturalist Lyanda Lynn Haupt.
                        Just starting: Just My Type, a book about fonts by Simon Garfield.

Comment

Found a paperback (somewhat yellowed) called
                          the Super Spies by Andrew Tully.

isbn 671.77211.2

Library of Congress Catalog Card Number : 71.89102

How the state dept eavesdropped on a Havana conference attended

by Stokely Carmichael.

What the Pueblo and other spy ships really discovered.

"Sure to make waves on the Potomac, The Super
                          spies is intriguing reading.
                          Houston Post.

Comment

I found a fascinating book the other day.

Here is the link.http://ethosworld.com/library/Gartz-...s-and-Time.pdf

Comment

From Nov. 2010:
                              Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Hoping today to start "Bloodsucking Fiends" by Christopher Moore.
                              Having read that, followed (in April 2011) by the second book in his comedic vampire series, "You Suck," I have just started book three, "Bite Me."

Comment

Life of Pi by Yann Martel (2001)

A sportswriter I admire mentioned on his radio program that he loves Yann Martel’s Life of Pi. This writer, a self-proclaimed “gas bag” and “clown,” is among my favorite pundits because he approaches sports as a lens through which one may examine the human condition at its best and worst. Race, temptation, redemption, class, economics, politics, failure, ambition, art, and beauty are the real topics of conversation on his program, and I believe that if his interests were in some other realm of pop culture, his approach would be the same: he’d laugh hysterically at the surface-level stuff while asking his audience to peer closely at the real-life stuff that bubbles beneath the surface. There is an endearing, secular spirituality that permeates his on-air persona even during radio segments about “athletes whose last names make you think of seafood.”

I can see why a publicly nonreligious person with spiritual tendencies would respond to a novel like this. Lacking a conviction about any one religious tenet, a well-told story that touches on a spiritual uncertainty while saying “I know this much is true” can really hit home for those longing to gain some kind of understanding about something ethereal. On this level, Life of Pi is successful. In casually lyrical prose, Martel’s protagonist, a teenaged boy named Pi, tells us a story that seems to say, “I don’t know how I got through it, but I had some help from something or someone.”

Where the novel comes up short is in its ability to deliver what it promises, which is “a story to make you believe in God,” and while that is a lofty ambition for any work of art, the shortcoming is not the result of aiming too high, but of the author’s not assembling the pieces as thoughtfully as he might.

By now, you probably know the plot. Pi is the son of a zookeeper in India. A follower of three faiths at once (Hinduism, Christianity, and Islam), Pi finds something convicting and inspirational in all three practices, much to the bafflement of his educated, progressive, nonreligious parents. When his family sells the zoo and moves to Canada, the cargo ship on which they ride sinks, and the young man finds himself the sole human survivor on a lifeboat. The boat’s other survivor is a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker.

The heart of the plot is a survival-at-sea tale to rival the best of that genre. Putting to use what he’s learned of animals and their territories, Pi spends weeks establishing the relationship between tiger and boy, understanding at one point that he is as dependent on the tiger as the tiger is on him.

There is an intentional narrator-reliability issue about which I will be vague for fear of spoiling the novel. This issue is presented as an interesting construction in the plot; how it is received by the reader is a determining factor in whether or not Life of Pi moves beyond survival tale into something deeper, and here is where it fails. At first I thought my disappointment was tied to my religious beliefs. I thought the novel made claim to a profundity it never achieved, and I wanted it to say something more specific than what it eventually says.

However, there is more to it than that. The plot construction doesn’t stand up to scrutiny, and when Pi delivers what I think is the thesis of the tale, the faulty plot exposes itself. What the story-teller subjects us to doesn’t make sense; the dots simply don’t connect, and the resulting picture looks okay except in that one corner where it fails to bring the entire image together.

One can still accept the novel and its lessons the way one might any survival tale, but to do so ignores its attempt to say the one specific thing it attempts to say. This could have been a story to make one believe in God, in whatever way it wanted to define that term. A few more paragraphs in critical moments, tying the story-teller to his story, or even the narrator to his story-teller, might have helped it succeed. As it is, it is merely an engaging, well-told tale of a boy, his tiger, and a lifeboat.
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X