Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have an "idiots guide to..." or "... for dummies" book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you have an "idiots guide to..." or "... for dummies" book?

DNS for Dummies; PHP & MySQL for Dummies; Flash For Dummies; C++ Programming In Easy Steps (Not "For Dummies" but same concept); XML In A Nutshell (ditto); Webmaster In A Nutshell (ditto);... I know there are more.

I often tell people who ask to go get a Dummies book whenever they need a serious leg up on a tricky topic in a hurry. I usually don't buy the thickest book on a topic. I tend to buy the thinner ones, and I tend to get "condensed" versions like Dummies most of the time.

Blaine
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I have Access 97 for Dummies and CSS for Dummies. My need for the Access one disappeared, but it's still on the shelves. The CSS one was useful at the time I bought it and probably will be again.
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

A few of you mentioned having the PHP & MySQL for Dummies volume.

Have you learned anything that you actually implemented on a website? Is the book thorough enough to actually build a database and serve it properly?

I need to build a servable database (within this year) and need that knowledge (which I don't have right now).

I know, I'm a dummy so I'll need a dummy book.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          A few of you mentioned having the PHP & MySQL for Dummies volume.

Have you learned anything that you actually implemented on a website? Is the book thorough enough to actually build a database and serve it properly?

I need to build a servable database (within this year) and need that knowledge (which I don't have right now).

I know, I'm a dummy so I'll need a dummy book.
          Yes, PHP & MySQL for Dummies is the one to get.

But, I suggest going to http://www.hotscripts.com, cruising the PHP section, Scripts section to see if someone has built something already that is similar to what you want. Many of their listed scripts are free for the taking and modification.

Find one that looks interesting, download it and read the "Docs" that come with just about all of them.

You may not need to learn to program it yourself. You may just have to read the install directions to get what you need. That's my basic M.O.

I have the Dummies book nearby as a reference in case I get in trouble. But usually the install docs or the script's support discussion board are all I need.

Blaine
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I've got two Dummies books. Algebra For Dummies and Programming for Dummies. When I started school again in 2004 I really needed help with math...I don't think I ever used the book. Instead I used a pc program and that helped kick me into gear. Read through the Programming book, but ended up just jumping right into classes. Took Intro to Prog. which was basically VB and then C#. In the fall itll be C++.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
              "Complete Idiot's Guide To Dummies" - but only because the store was out of "Idiots For Dummies."
              Like this?
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

My secret shame. I have "Singing for Dummies." Not so secret anymore, but still lots of fun. The folks who sit in front of me at church should thank the author!

Comment

LOL, omg...I get Football, Personal Financing, Investing & Investing Online....gosh what a dummy!

Has anyone heard of the "Everything........" book? I have one called the "Everything Tween" book. It's style is similar to the ...for Dummies book.

Comment

now you can make your own dummies book cover

(of course, us with photoshop skills already know how to do it )

Comment

Speaking of Dummy or Idiots theirs this sight called darwinawards.com that award people who die doing the most insanist idiotic things. I will not share any of the stories with anyone. you just have to go on and visit the sight. Theirs no pictures on it, just words from articles taken from newspapers from all over the world. I seldom visit www.darwinawards.com because I don't take pride in reading how people die, but since the topic was on idiots guide or something like it, that sight happened to pop in my mind.
                      A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                        If so, what books are they?

I have "Home Networking for dummies" (I suck at networking) and the complete idiot's gude to hiking, camping, and the great outdoors.
                        I'll just say that half the books on my shelf are in yellow and black or orange and blue, and leave it at that.
                        http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Within the past couple of weeks, I picked up two dummies books: "Home-based business for dummies" and "A+ certification for dummies".

Comment

I have the "Idiot's Guide to Appearing Smarter Than You Really Are" by Marion Vos Savant.

Sadly, I was lost after the first few pages...

Comment

For computer stuff....I find the "Visual Quickstart Guide" books way better.

They have a little rabbit for their logo and the covers always have blocks of color on them.They explain things way better than the "for Dummies" books...in my opinion. The "for dummies" phrase was a great marketing tool tho'.

Whomever came up with that franchise is no dummy, and a very rich person right now.
                              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

I still have an MS Office one and an Autocad one on the shelf.

Comment

Working...
                                X