Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a good book club meeting location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggestions for a good book club meeting location?

Originally posted by pzarquon
    Downtown has lots of neat places to meet (I always wondered about that tiny, tiny "park" next to Kumu Kahua Theatre on Merchant Street). Parking remains its Achilles' heel.
    at the time of your meetings which I believe you said was 6:30 pm, downtown does not have parking problems because all the workers & delivery trucks have finished for the day. Plus, parking lots are empty at that time of day.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      Ah, 99 Ranch! Good thought. Very large indoor area with plenny tables, and pretty good food all around you (literally!). They generally don't care if you're paying customers or not. And parking is decent.

The downsides, besides the giant TV blaring Fox News, is the location -- it's in Mapunapuna (between Moanalua Freeway and H-1/Nimitz), and if you're trying to get there during pau hana rush hour, you're going to need the patience of a saint.

But yeah, it's an interesting loitering spot. My family sometimes likes to go down there just to wander the supermarket (live seafood to be eaten vs. the aquarium -- no real difference in their minds!) and see the sights (and ride the creaky ol' kids rides). Don't miss the bubble tea at Bee's... or the bizarre Hello Lobster game.
      If you enter from the rear of the building there is a "new" section to the left, where the new Wah Kung Restaurant and Post Office is. It is enclosed and you cannot hear the TV at all. If you take Nimitz and turn right on Ahua or go up Puuloa, the traffic shouldn't really be a problem, if you're coming from downtown.

Comment

I'm brand new to HawaiiThreads tonight. I may be posting to this particular thread too late for anyone to notice....
        NOTICE ME!
        k-den....what I want to say is that I think I might like belonging to a book club and I'd like some advice on how to start one. I suppose you have to have a particular genre in mind, yes? I mean...the people who want to discuss The Devil's Brigade are probably not going to blend well with those who prefer The Mists of Avalon. How is this done?
        Yep...99 Ranch sounds like a good spot.
        Or how about inside the Kahala Mall. Until recently, I was a student. My friends and I used to meet to study together at one of the many tables in the mall. No one ever bothered us. It was fairly quiet too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamashii
          I'm brand new to HawaiiThreads tonight. I may be posting to this particular thread too late for anyone to notice....
          NOTICE ME!
          k-den....what I want to say is that I think I might like belonging to a book club and I'd like some advice on how to start one. I suppose you have to have a particular genre in mind, yes? I mean...the people who want to discuss The Devil's Brigade are probably not going to blend well with those who prefer The Mists of Avalon. How is this done?
          Yep...99 Ranch sounds like a good spot.
          Or how about inside the Kahala Mall. Until recently, I was a student. My friends and I used to meet to study together at one of the many tables in the mall. No one ever bothered us. It was fairly quiet too.

If you are interested in checking out the book club I'm in (mainly people in their 20s/30s), you can check out the website for the group here on Yahoogroups. Our format works like this: everyone get a turn to pick out three books they would like the group to consider reading for the next meeting. We vote, and that book becomes our next pick. We aren't genre-specific--we've read everything from self-help to psychology theory to historical fiction to nonfiction so far. It keeps us from getting too stuck in our ways, when we are "forced" to read books from genres we might not normally prefer.

Otherwise, I've seen a recent posting on Craigslist for a book club
          http://honolulu.craigslist.org/grp/152141090.html
          There was also a posting for a book club to meet on the Windward side a while back on Craigslist. In fact, I found my book club group to Craigslist too.

Comment

Working...
          X