Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did Hawaii earn her acclaimed reputation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How did Hawaii earn her acclaimed reputation?

Originally posted by greentara View Post
    Hyde made some slanderous insinuations against Father Damien. That’s what I meant by two sides to every story. From what I’ve read FD was a truly devoted and compassionate man, (although a bit eccentric).

This is the first time I have read the letter by RLS ~ if he was responding to Hyde clearly Hyde had another opinion, (not that his opinion was based in truth). I'm sure there were some people that believed what Hyde had to say. What was the climate like between the Catholic and Protestant people at that time??? Could that be a factor in the slanderous comments against FD? I too would love to see the response defending Hyde's opinion.
    Hyde's letter is quoted entirely within RLS' letter within the first two pages. Upon reading it, it isn't a "Protestant vs Catholic" argument as much as a jealous response to those early suggestions, so soon after FD's death, to honor the priest of Moloka'i. RLS also explains that he is a protestant, and his gall at his fellow Christian's behavior is the thrust of the letter. That is what makes it such a fascinating read, a point beaten sweetly to death by the venerable Mr. Stevenson.

What about the film South Pacific, (not 100 years ago but before the time of blogs and youtube)it was not about Hawaii but it was filmed there and most people were aware that the incredible scenes in the background were filmed on Kauai. Of course that's not "print" but it did contribute to Hawaii's reputation of being one of the most beautiful places in the world.
    As for the original point of this thread, Hawaii has entertained this reputation for over 100 years; movies like South Pacific and radio programs such as Hawaii Calls rode upon that reputation, but somewhere in the 19th century it became established. During the reign of the monarchy.

A fascinating continuation of that wave is how Hawaii was marketed through the 20th century, which is where your suggestion fits in.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Bumpy View Post

Interestingly, this “competition” is still very much alive today, with mainly fundamentalist and evangelicals working in South and Central America, who regard it as one of their goals to convert the people there from the “Romans” (they actually use that word !!) and into the true fold. Anyone who thinks that the anti-Catholicism of the early Reformation years in Europe or the Know Nothing movement in America in the 1800’s is dead and only a part of history, should talk to any recent graduate of Bob Jones University for their opinion on the matter. It’s just a little depressing how far we haven’t come in these matters.

Aloha!
      If you really want a view of the fundamentalist movement see the documentary, Jesus Camp ~ Shocking!!
      "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
        Hyde's letter is quoted entirely within RLS' letter within the first two pages. Upon reading it, it isn't a "Protestant vs Catholic" argument as much as a jealous response to those early suggestions, so soon after FD's death, to honor the priest of Moloka'i. RLS also explains that he is a protestant, and his gall at his fellow Christian's behavior is the thrust of the letter. That is what makes it such a fascinating read, a point beaten sweetly to death by the venerable Mr. Stevenson.

As for the original point of this thread, Hawaii has entertained this reputation for over 100 years; movies like South Pacific and radio programs such as Hawaii Calls rode upon that reputation, but somewhere in the 19th century it became established. During the reign of the monarchy.

A fascinating continuation of that wave is how Hawaii was marketed through the 20th century, which is where your suggestion fits in.

Sorry for being off topic with my post and once again many thanks for your enlightened comments. Please don’t take offence at my being bold but if you’re not a teacher you should be...I've learned a lot about Hawaii from your posts.

"When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Working...
        X