Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: American Idol Season 7 (2008)

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
    The AI contract restrictions for the winner would only hold back anyone with real talent and marketability. All the previous winners (save for Kelly Clarkson) have tanked!
    Really? You think Carrie Underwood got held back and "tanked"?!?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
      I'm rooting for Dave Cook this year, he's hands down the best contestant and the only one I'd actually want to buy music from.
      [...]
      All the previous winners (save for Kelly Clarkson) have tanked!
      Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Really? You think Carrie Underwood got held back and "tanked"?!?
      I don't have time to find a cite but I believe Carrie has outsold Kelly. Carrie's been a phenomenal success...deservedly so. I've never been a fan of country music but I'll listen to anything she sings!

I agree...David Cook is the contestant to beat. love...Love...LOVE him!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        I don't have time to find a cite but I believe Carrie has outsold Kelly. Carrie's been a phenomenal success...deservedly so. I've never been a fan of country music but I'll listen to anything she sings!
        Amen to that.
        From the Wikipedia item on Carrie:
        Carrie Marie Underwood (born March 10, 1983 in Muskogee, Oklahoma) is an American country pop singer-songwriter who won the fourth season of American Idol. She also is a five time Grammy Award-winning singer. She is the first Idol winner to sweep all three major music awards (Billboard, American Music, and Grammy Award) in one single season. Since her sweep, she has become a multi-platinum selling recording artist. Her debut album, Some Hearts, was certified seven times platinum and is the fastest selling debut country album in Nielsen SoundScan history. Some Hearts yielded six number one hits on the country charts in the United States and Canada: "Inside Your Heaven," "Jesus, Take the Wheel", "Don't Forget to Remember Me", "Wasted," and her biggest hit to date, "Before He Cheats." Underwood scored another Top 10 Billboard hit with her charity single, "I'll Stand by You." Some Hearts sold a total of 7 million RIAA-certified copies as of February 2008. In addition to being the best selling album by an American Idol contestant in the United States to date, it is also the best-selling solo female debut album in country music history.
        Her second album, Carnival Ride was released on October 23, 2007. It has so far sold over 2 million copies and has produced two number one country hits, "So Small." and "All-American Girl". Underwood's Christmas single, "Do You Hear What I Hear?" peaked at #2 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary charts.
        (...)
        To date, Underwood has sold over 11 million copies worldwide in the last two years.
        (A (very long) list of her awards and nominations is at this link, and Carrie's own website is at this link.)
        For most artists, those numbers and awards would constitute an entire lifetime career, but Carrie's done it in a mere two years. Yep, Carrie hasn't exactly been "held back" and her career clearly hasn't "tanked."
        I imagine Dyasu merely forgot about Carrie in his/her original post today.

Comment

The 2008 CMT Awards are on TONIGHT, starting live at 5pm and replaying at 8:30 tonight. Digital channel 587. Carrie is a presenter, a performer, and nominated for two awards.
          Slacker.

Comment

If David Cook gets voted off after tonight then I know...without a doubt...that the show is rigged! DAYAM...HE SLAM DUNKED IT TONIGHT!

Comment

Dial Idol has Cook at #1, so no chance of another Michael Johns type of elimination.

I thought the judges overpimped both Davids, and the rest of the singers were just okay (the country singer girl) to bad (sweet/odd Brooke). I think Cook sounded flat during much of the song because he was singing in a low register that does not work for him, and was surprised none of the judges called him on that. Little David was swamped by the background gospel singers & orchestra.

I've been trying to figure out who Cook sounds like and I finally did--Jason Wade (Lifehouse). Go listen to Lifehouse on youtube and you'll see that these guys must have been separated at birth or something. Wade's better than Cook in terms of vocal range, but Cook's got the edge on him in emoting.
              Last edited by U'ilani; April 15, 2008, 11:58 PM.
              * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
              - Anna Quindlen

Comment

4/16 results

Kristy Lee Cook - FINALLY!!!
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

Lots of drama on the show tonight, and something I didn't expect...
                  * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                  - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
                    What did you think of Jason Castro's performance of Bruddah Iz's Somewhere Over the Rainbow? And he did it with the ukulele, no less! I'm not a fan of Castro, but hearing it reminded me of how amazing this song is, and I think he did a good job with it despite some pitch problems. I'd love to hear what you thought of it:

Jason: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1-0wjSp9Fok
                    Well, this just goes to show what a marketing powerhouse AI is...

As reported today in the Honolulu Advertiser/USA Today:
                    Castro's rendition not only kept him in the competition, it also spawned a 700 percent increase in sales and a huge jump — from No. 187 to No. 11 — on Nielsen SoundScan's digital songs chart for the 1993 version recorded by the late Bruddah Iz.
                    So if you see a brand new Ferrari F430 Scuderia scootin' around town, you know who's behind the wheel.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

• Re: American Idol Season 7 (2008)

U'i, you are my sunshine.

Anyone else geeked out about it being "Andrew Lloyd Weber" night? Bring on The Phantom of the Opera!
                      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

4/23 Results

Carly Smithson - ELIMINATED

Flickr

Comment

Wow! I didn't expect that. I thought it'd be either Jason or Brooke.

Comment

Carly had to go. I really think she never had the WOW factor, true she could sing, but the whole package(including that gross tattoo) never sold me. It was really nice to see Tamayra and Clay doing well on Broadway.

Flickr

Comment

i guess different strokes for different strokes. I love the tattoo, and she had a great set of pipes.
                              flickr

An email from God:
                              To: People of Earth
                              Date: 9/04/2007
                              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                              God

Comment

Carly's a rocker. Tattoos work for that genre...imnsho, that is!

Comment

Working...
                                X