• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien

A press release from Associated Press today:

Leno anticipates return to 11:30, lauds O'Brien
    Published - Jan 18 2010 05:05PM HAST

By LYNN ELBER - AP Television Writer

LOS ANGELES— Jay Leno turned serious on his show to discuss the late-night chaos at NBC, telling viewers that he'd been doubtful about launching a prime-time show but was prevented by NBC from going to another network instead.
    Leno, in explaining events from his standpoint, also said Monday that he had told NBC he'd return to the "Tonight" slot only after Conan O'Brien rejected the network's plan to put both men on in late night.
    NBC continued negotiations Monday on an exit deal with O'Brien that would clear the way for Leno to reclaim the 11:35 p.m. EST slot occupied by "Tonight," which he hosted for 17 years before turning it over to O'Brien last spring.
    The network is ending its prime-time experiment, "The Jay Leno Show," because of low ratings and affiliate station complaints.
    When NBC told him they wanted to end his new show, Leno told viewers Monday, he asked to be released from his contract.
    "`No, you're still a valuable asset to this company,'" he said the network told him. His reply: "How valuable can I be? You fired me twice."

That was a reference to NBC's decision six years ago to ask him to eventually make way for O'Brien to take over "Tonight," which Leno kept atop the ratings until he left.
    He and O'Brien have traded increasingly edgy monologue jokes as NBC tries to extricate itself from its scheduling mess, but Leno told viewers his attitude toward his colleague is unchanged.
    "Through all of this, Conan O'Brien has been a gentleman. He's a good guy, I have no animosity toward him. This is all business," Leno said. "You know, folks, if you don't get the ratings, they take you off the air."
    Neither of them was a ratings winner, he said, either with "The Jay Leno Show" at 10 p.m. EST or O'Brien's "Tonight."
    O'Brien did not immediately respond to a request for comment Monday night.
    Leno gave his audience a history lesson, or what alternately might have seemed a skillfully timed effort to repair any damage to Leno's trademark heart-of-gold image before the deal is made official, as soon as Tuesday.
    In his recitation, Leno opened with an NBC executive telling him in 2004 that he would have to surrender "Tonight" to O'Brien to keep the gangly, redheaded host of "Late Night" from going to a competitor.
    "I said, `Well, I've been No. 1 for 12 years.' They said, `We know that. We don't think you can sustain it,'" Leno recounted the executive telling him. He joked that he asked if he could at least wait until his show fell to No. 2, but agreed to the hand-over plan.

"Don't blame Conan O'Brien. Nice guy, good family guy, great guy. He and I have talked, and not a problem since then," Leno said.
    He told NBC he would retire "`just to avoid what happened the last time,'" he recounted with a chuckle.
    What's happening now at NBC turned out to be reminiscent of the contest between Leno and David Letterman to win "Tonight" after Johnny Carson's retirement and NBC's similar dithering at the time.
    With a plan in place for Leno to leave "Tonight" in May 2009, before his NBC contract ended, he would be prevented from starting at another network for at least a year, Leno said. He asked to be freed but NBC refused, instead suggesting that Leno could do well with a prime-time show that the network acknowledged would get "killed" against first-run episodes of shows like CBS' "CSI" but could get traction against summer reruns. Leno said he agreed, in part, because it would allow him to keep his staff of about 175 people working.
    But the network's plan for patience was unraveled by affiliates, who said his low ratings were sinking their local late newscasts, which the show precedes.
    O'Brien had his own ratings woes, which Leno said _ pointedly _ started in summer before they could be blamed on Leno's poor prime-time performance.
    "Tonight" with O'Brien is drawing about half of the roughly 5 million viewers Leno attracted as its host
    , although O'Brien has gotten a significant ratings bump since the network flap started.
    When NBC suggested a half-hour show, Leno told the network he wasn't crazy about doing it but said OK. He asked if O'Brien would agree to be moved to midnight and was told yes _ it was almost guaranteed.

So, they expect the formal announcement to be tomorrow. Apparently the last sticking points are that Conan wants to limit the amount of time that he can't insult NBC, and also they're still negotiating intellectual property rights, such as who owns the rights to Triumph The Insult Comic Dog.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I assume that those of you who care already know the latest, so just a reminder: Conan's last show is tomorrow (Friday) night.
      NBC will air reruns of Conan & The Tonight Show until the Olympics start on February 12.
      I found it interesting that Conan and The Tonight Show had less than half the viewers of Jay and his 10pm show. And people wonder why Conan was fired?!?
      Last edited by LikaNui; January 21, 2010, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
        [...]Conan's last show is tomorrow (Friday) night.[...]
        It appears NBC can't wait 'til the start of the Olympics to get rid of those monologues! I stayed up just to watch them!

Comment

You mean you stayed up for the monologues just recently, or the last 7 months? (Since the drama started I've been DVR'ing them (Conan, Leno, Letterman, Kimmel and Ferguson) and watching the monologues the next day.)
          Conan's ratings have been up, of course, for the last couple of weeks since this drama all started. But I'm betting that next week when it goes into reruns the ratings will sink like a stone again.
          It's really stupid that some people feel sorry for Conan, and especially stupid that he is so strongly portraying himself as the victim here. The facts are A) Conan refused to move back to midnight and B) his ratings SUCKED. So he got fired. Dunno how refusing to do the job and also failing at the job makes him a victim.

Comment

You mean you stayed up for the monologues just recently, or the last 7 months?
            During the past 7 months, I've had TTS on more than I haven't...usually due to Leno>KHNL news>TTS. I'm normally in the process of getting my Dr. Denton's on during the monologue so it doesn't get my undivided attention. Damn flap snaps! The past 2 weeks, it has! Ditto for Letterman during his recent scandal. It's interesting to me to see how people handle controversial times in their lives. Some pass. Some fail. Just like 'real' people.
            (Since the drama started I've been DVR'ing them (Conan, Leno, Letterman, Kimmel and Ferguson) and watching the monologues the next day.)[...]
            I still have programs from 2008 on my DVR that I have yet to watch!

Comment

I'm not surprised that NBC let Conan O'Brien be on the air till tomorrow even when he's still making jokes at NBC. He's getting high ratings. Conan can't really go mean-spirited at NBC because the other network bosses won't want deal with a guy like that. You don't talk stink about your ex-employer at a job interview, or how horrible your ex was as the only topic on your first date with someone new.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                Conan can't really go mean-spirited at NBC because the other network bosses won't want deal with a guy like that.
                It's not personal... only ratings show business...
                Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                  I'm not surprised that NBC let Conan O'Brien be on the air till tomorrow even when he's still making jokes at NBC. He's getting high ratings. Conan can't really go mean-spirited at NBC because the other network bosses won't want deal with a guy like that. You don't talk stink about your ex-employer at a job interview, or how horrible your ex was as the only topic on your first date with someone new.
                  David Letterman managed to get away with that before he landed his current job.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Was it real or just props for Conan to buy a million dollar car and a two million dollar racehorse as comedy bits and charge those to NBC?

Comment

I'm wondering the same thing, WB. I honestly don't see how he could get away charging those expenses off to NBC. Still, I'm curious...

Comment

The horse was definitely a fake, according to a statement released by the real horse's owner. Ergo, chances are good the the Bugatti wasn't a real purchase either.
                        From TMZ.com:
                        "On last night's show, Conan claimed he blew $4.8 million dollars on a gag in which he trotted out Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird -- problem is, Conan's horse wasn't the REAL Derby winning horse ... of course, of course.
                        TMZ spoke with Mine That Bird's trainer, Chip Woolley, who told us, "That was not the real Mine That Bird last night, it was an imposter."
                        Woolley added, "The real Mine That Bird is up at the ranch in New Mexico resting up before he gets back to racing in the summer."
                        One thing is definitely real -- NBC really will seriously have to pay up after Conan played a long clip of a Rolling Stones song in a similar attempt to blow NBC's budget."
                        Last edited by LikaNui; January 22, 2010, 07:44 PM.

Comment

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_433974.html

This might have been a legit last expense on NBC.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertain...re/8495054.stm

Is the Fox network going to be patient with Conan? They cancelled some good shows too early.

Comment

Re: Conan O'Brien

* bump *

It was just announced that Conan will be hosting a new late-night show in November, at 11pm on the TBS cable channel. (FOX apparently wasn't interested.)
                              That bumps the George Lopez show back an hour to midnight. (Has anyone here even seen that show? I haven't.)
                              Interesting that Conan will start 30 minutes before Leno and Letterman, obviously hoping to snag -- and keep -- the viewers. I think that'll only work for the first week or two, until the curiosity factor wanes.
                              Also interesting that Conan was allowed back on TV as of September 1, but the new show will start over two months after that date. One would think 5-1/2 months is enough time to get a show together. Hmmmm.
                              ETA: Just heard that the new show will only be four nights a week, Monday through Thursday.
                              Last edited by LikaNui; April 12, 2010, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Re: Conan O'Brien

It was just announced that Conan will be hosting a new late-night show in November, at 11pm on the TBS cable channel.
                                Here's his Tweet about it:
                                The good news: I will be doing a show on TBS starting in November! The bad news: I'll be playing Rudy on the all new Cosby Show.

Comment

Working...
                                X