"The Prisoner" remade by AMC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "The Prisoner" remade by AMC

Watching the 3rd hour with 6 and 909 talking about being in an undercover cell kind of reminds me of the role playing game Paranoia.

I am being to wonder if number 6 is trying to find all of the dreamers such that number 2 can deal with the dreamers.

Then again can't figure out about the holes in the ground that are popping around the village.

Comment

I read an interesting analysis, as part of an interview with Mr. McKellan, that suggests The Village represents our contemporary capitalist state in a post-9/11 world. I can see how much of the show could play into that interpretation.

I'm enjoying the subtle references to the original series, such as the penny-farthing bicycle hanging in the "Go Inside" bar.

I also liked how they actually answered Number Six, when he asked the question he always asked in the original, "Who is Number One?"

In the original series, he was only answered by Number Two saying "You are Number Six" - which some have suggested needs only a piece of punctuation to create a new interpretation: "You are, Number Six."

In the new version, the schoolchildren tell him that there never has been, nor will there ever be, a Number One - that "no one is Number One."

Or perhaps, with the abbreviated version of the word "number" ... "No One is No. One."

Comment

Now that it's over, I see that the "resolution" at the end of the new series somewhat resembles what many thought might have been the "resolution" of the original - but without leaving it as such a mystery.

(Trying not to make this a spoiler post, so I have to be a bit obtuse.)

Another way to view the message of the series might be (and this is very out-of-character for me to think this way) a condemnation of a liberal p.o.v., in the sense that if you want somebody in power (corporations or governmental agencies) to "fix" all the troubled souls in the world - there's a big price in giving up your individual control. Are you willing to make the trade?

The analogies to 9/11 (and the world since) are still strong in my mind - the mystery of the two "towers" as well as the surveillance aspects and the emphasis on citizens to go along and not be "different" - that life is better and easier if you do so.

Comment

I am kind of confused to the concept of The Village itself. While it seems to be in the mind of #2's wife in the real world (by the way wife does not have a number in The Village), it doesn't explain how the various people who occupy The Village shows what happens to them in the real world. Or do they just occupy both places at the same time and they are not aware of it?

And it seems that certain people in The Village don't exist in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
            (by the way wife does not have a number in The Village)
            No - but it was interesting that "Curtis" said that she was the first to go to The Village; perhaps she is "Number One" all along, and that's why he was "Number Two."

Comment

Another confusing point is that if The Village was meant to calm violent feelings in people then why in The Village the following people were killed by violent means:
              1. 93 (shot to death, as well as been chased)
              2. 554 (bomb exploding at the place she worked)
              3. 909 (killed by 1112)

And in the real world why was Michael's apartment bomb with Lucy inside.

Comment

Working...
              X