Battlestar Galactica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battlestar Galactica

Man. I can't believe I missed this. Maybe our spare TiVo caught it.

I was really curious how things were going to go after the odd 'flash forward' in the preceding season finale. It seemed like a drastic change to make, moving from space to a dreary planet.

And I'm glad y'all like it. 'Cause I had my doubts, reading some of the reviews. I can appreciate good metaphor and couched commentary on contemporary issues -- that's what science fiction excels at -- but I was afraid they'd get a little preachy and heavy handed with the Iraq/Nazi comparisons.

Comment

Check your TV schedule, they usually repeat Battlestar Galactica episodes on Monday nights and late Wednesday nights I believe. Used to be that way for the first 2 years.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        Okay it's not a dream sequence.

I guess the Cylons are not above killing each other, which doesn't solve anything since they can be resurrected.
        I think the killing of each other is a minor punishment, because it does hurt them to die. But wasn't there part of a storyline about how the humans managed to destroy whatever machine the cylons were using to regenerate so that if a cylon died, it was really dead? I guess we're supposed to assume that the cylons managed to rebuild whatever was destroyed.

Comment

The Resurrection Ship. It was sort of meant for those sleeper agents in the human fleet in case they die among the human since they had no place to go to. For the Cylons on the planet the facilities exist for them someplace handy.

Comment

So do you think those people have actually been executed? I really liked Laura Roslin, so I'm hoping maybe the gunfire was the landing party shooting it out with the execution squad.

Actually, it would be great drama if those people were indeed dead. If it turned out they're still alive, I'd see it as a little bit of a cop-out on the part of the BSG writers. The writing in this show has always been harsh; it never went for the easy story. It's one of the things I like about the show.

Comment

Another possibilty would be the Cylon trained human police would fire at the Cylons.

Comment

Start of tonight's episode threw a curve ball on who was going to save the prisoners from being executed.

One thing I couldn't figure out is why the Cylons need humans to guard or police the other humans. What's wrong with the Cylon Centurions doing the task?

Next week episode seems to be action packed.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  Start of tonight's episode threw a curve ball on who was going to save the prisoners from being executed.

One thing I couldn't figure out is why the Cylons need humans to guard or police the other humans. What's wrong with the Cylon Centurions doing the task?

Next week episode seems to be action packed.
                  Off the top of my head, because the cylons are or were trying to make the humans think that they were working for the betterment of both cylons and humans and weren't trying to outright destroy the humans so they were trying to make them appear on the same side. and if they can convince some humans that they, the cylons, are right (or at least not terribly wrong) or convince some humans to go along with the cylons, then it makes the humans weaker by dividing them and making them unsure of whom to trust and there's such a thing as critical mass ~ if they can convince enough humans to go along, then most of the rest would have to bow to the sheer weight of the trend and the few who resist can be disposed of easily. Also, I'm probably reading far more into this than intended, but I get overtones of, among other things, the Holocaust: the effort to make a perfect race, the moving of the less than perfect into ghettos, the rounding up of dissidents, the co-opting of some of the victims to make them complicit in their own destruction and in the destruction of their "side" or race. Some of the victims join the enemy in shame for survival purposes, some to be on the winning side, some because they want terribly to believe that joining instead of resisting will make all the bad go away and form a new good world. But having humans doing the guarding and some of the killing makes it harder to identify the cylons as the sole enemy and makes the issues more than humans versus machines.
                  Last edited by Adri; October 13, 2006, 11:18 PM. Reason: to clarify

Comment

Pretty exciting episode this week and a gutsy move on the Galactica's part by jumping inside a planet's atmosphere, launching it's Vipers and then jumping out.

The slugfest between the basestars and the battlestars was pretty impresive as well. The basestars don't seem to be well armored.

I wonder what happen to Baltar?

Comment

[QUOTE=helen;
                      I wonder what happen to Baltar?[/QUOTE]

[speculation] = He'll be killed and then ressurrected to become a Cylon. "Am I a Cylon?"

Agree on the episode, this was a good, hard hitting action episode, though I can't believe that a ragtag group of rebels and 2 Battlestars could defeat a ground force of Cylons and 4 Cylon battleships with hundreds of fighter spacecraft. A little far fetched, but still a good episode.

I thought they'd be on New Caprica for a while longer. Looks like not.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

One thing I can not figure out is what drives Baltar to do the things that he does. The character is just a spineless weasel.

The actor is okay through, even if looks like the actor who played Doctor Bashier from Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

Comment

Baltar is just about Baltar. Self preservation, profit from anything and to advance his personal agenda, even to the point of selling out his own "race" is something he'll do. If and when he returns to the Battlestar Galactica group, he'll change his tune and make all kinds of excuses as to why he helped the Cylons only to preserve his own life and secure his own future. Spineless yes. Slimy too.

On to the bigger picture, I totally agree that if there is a way to anihilate the Cylons by using the virus, I have to agree with President Rosalind on this. Wipe em out. But like anything else, there is always a dissenter, this one being Helo, who thwarts the plan.

Overall I wonder if this series will have a definite story ending arc before it inevitably falls to low ratings if kept on the air for too long. For now it seems to be going a good course, but I think in 1 or 2 years, the series should call it a wrap.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I really expected the "virus" subplot to last longer than one episode. Just like I expected New Caprica to be around longer than three episodes or so. I guess the fact that they didn't milk this for half a season shows the writers are still not resorting to filler to stretch out the show. And I hope that is a sign that they know where they're going and how it will all end. Most likely at Earth.

I like this show a lot, and finally got my wife hooked. With "LOST" gone until February, I'm glad we've still got a good show around to watch.

Comment

Interesting story tonight with Carl Lumby starring as a pilot who got captured by the Cylons a year before the attacks started.

Comment

Yep, they're going into flashback territory with this one. I wonder what's up with the upcoming boxing episode? Seems like every space based series has a boxing episode somewhere in their storyline.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X