Coming Up on PBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: coming up on pbs

Last night, I caught the middle part of Soundstage:Heart right when they started playing... guess... a cover of Zep's Battle of Evermore. It was really good even though they sang the wrong lyrics in a couple places.

Comment

I hear a tribute band is coming to town;
      Called:
      "Tart"

they are a buncha girls who do a tribute to Heart
      but they only do Led Zep songs... the way Heart does them.

Comment

eh cezanne, wasn't that good? i'm glad they ended with two of their hits (crazy on you & magic man); very well done. also, to my surprise, i found myself looking at the keyboard player! don't know who she is but she had a cool librarian-by-day, wacked-out-keyboardist-by-night look with her hair in what looked like pigtails done too quickly! awesome combination! ha! ha!

(oh, the lead guitarist was pretty good, too....)
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Tuesday, August 2 at 10 p.m.
          Repeats Saturday, August 6 at 11 p.m.
          “In the Realms of the Unreal” – Reclusive janitor by day, visionary artist by night, outsider artist Henry Darger moved through life virtually unnoticed. But after his death, a treasure trove was discovered in his one-bedroom Chicago apartment: a staggering 15,000-page novel and hundreds of illustrations that continue to inspire artists around the world.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2005/intherealms/

http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2005/intherealms/about.html

wow! what a life!
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
            eh cezanne, wasn't that good? i'm glad they ended with two of their hits (crazy on you & magic man);

ugh. "magic man"
            that song always sounded to me like a car trying to start and then when it finally did, never knew what direction it wanted to go off to.

Comment

ha! ha! kimo, i know what you mean. it has a lot of starts and stops! dunno why but i still like it

Comment

sounds like a shoe factory.

and she screams over and over 'traaah tuh unnastayund..."
                and then tells us: "essuhmushimaeee..."
                in a low mumbling voice.

aaagggh!
                Last edited by kimo55; August 2, 2005, 11:54 AM.

Comment

in case anyone's interested, here are two programs coming at you this week:

* Harry Chapin – Remember When Tuesday, August 9 at 9:30 p.m. The special features classic performances of the late Harry Chapin’s notable songs, including “Cats in the Cradle,” “Taxi,” “I Want to Learn a Love Song,” “All My Life’s a Circle,” “Dreams Go By” and others, as well as insightful and personal commentary from his widow, Sandy Chapin (the subject of “I Want to Learn a Love Song” and co-writer of “Cats in the Cradle”) and their children Jennifer and Josh. Chapin died in a car accident in 1981 on his way to perform a benefit concert for the World Hunger Fund.

* Motown – The Early Years Thursday, August 11 at 7:30 p.m. Repeats on Saturday, August 13 at 3 p.m. This new performance special in the MY MUSIC series presents a mix of classic full-length archival performances and rare and never-before-seen performance footage mixed with the current line-up of Motown groups performing all their big hits charted between 1960 and 1966/67. Mary Wilson, Martha Reeves and Duke Fakirr of the Four Tops co-host.

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice

in case anyone's interested, here are two programs coming at you this week:

* Harry Chapin – Remember When Tuesday, August 9 at 9:30 p.m. The special features classic performances of the late Harry Chapin’s notable songs, including “Cats in the Cradle,” “Taxi,” “I Want to Learn a Love Song,” “All My Life’s a Circle,” “Dreams Go By” and others, as well as insightful and personal commentary from his widow, Sandy Chapin (the subject of “I Want to Learn a Love Song” and co-writer of “Cats in the Cradle”) and their children Jennifer and Josh. Chapin died in a car accident in 1981 on his way to perform a benefit concert for the World Hunger Fund.
                    I saw this show just last night. Excellent!

Comment

eh, howzit lurkah! watched the harry chapin program last night and i agree: it was excellent

also coming up on pbs, the new independent lens series begins on October 11th. you can find all of the stories and summaries at this link:

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/guide.html

Comment

FYI, tonight at 7:30 pm

Island Insights – Special Edition
                        Monday, August 22 at 7:30 p.m.

“The Akaka Bill” – The featured panelists are: Mark Bennett, attorney general for the state of Hawaii; Robert Klein, former Hawaii Supreme Court Justice and current board attorney for the Office of Hawaiian Affairs;
                        Bruce Fein, a constitutional law attorney; and Kaleikoa Kaeo of Hui Pu and NOA (Not of America). Tina Shelton hosts.

this thursday at 8 pm:

Hawaiians
                        Thursday, August 25 at 8 p.m.
                        From their ancient and mythical origins to their modern-day attempts to reclaim their culture and land, HAWAIIANS is the definitive historical account of the native people of the most famous islands in the world.

This 3-part series traces the evolution of Polynesians into what are now known as Native Hawaiians...from their own creation story, through centuries of non-instrument ancient voyaging, to their near-destruction by Western contact...and into modern times where young Hawaiians are fighting to restore their language, hula, culture and land.

HAWAIIANS features the spectrum of contemporary society, from political activists to “living treasures”; from Don Ho to the finest slack-key musicians; from the ancient chants to the modern hula, HAWAIIANS tells the moving story of a land and a people unlike any other in the world, and showcases the unique qualities which have enabled both to survive and thrive.

Episode Two – “Innocence Betrayed” examines the effects of Western contact from Captain James Cook through the mahele – the loss of land and overthrow of the Hawaiian government.
                        Last edited by shaveice; August 22, 2005, 09:40 AM.

Comment

There's a story in today's Star-Bulletin about Kayo Hatta's (Picture Bride) last project, "Fishbowl." A short, low-budget film based on a story from Lois-Ann Yamanaka's breakout book, "Wild Meat and the Bully Burgers," "Fishbowl" airs tomorrow night locally, and then nationally on May 9 as part of PBS's "Independent Lens" series.
                          It's a slice-of-life portrait of Waialua plantation town life set in 1975. Halloween is approaching, and two outsider adolescent friends -- Lovey and Jerry (Mie Omori and Billy Lam) plan to go to the town party as their favorite singers, the Captain and Tennille. Their classmates (and class rivals), the stuck-up Japanese girls of the social club Rays of the Rising Dawn, are constant reminders of how they'll never be "cool."

Comment

the musical, South pacific will be seen on yer telly! tune In kids!

PBSHawaii
                            CHANNEL 11
                            Great Performances: `South Pacific' in Concert from Carnegie Hall
                            Wednesday, April 26, 9:00pm
                            “ 'South Pacific' in Concert from Carnegie Hall.”
                            Great Performances: `South Pacific' in Concert from Carnegie Hall
                            Saturday, April 29, 8:00pm
                            “ 'South Pacific' in Concert from Carnegie Hall.”

Comment

"Mauna Kea: Temple Under Seige"

New documentary to be aired on PBS Hawai'i at 8 p.m. Thursday night. Looks like it'll be a good one to watch if you care about the clash between ancient culture and science. This same battle is going on on Haleakala, too, but it's not quite as significant as what's happening on Mauna Kea.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: "Mauna Kea: Temple Under Seige"

Originally posted by Miulang
                                New documentary to be aired on PBS Hawai'i at 8 p.m. Thursday night. Looks like it'll be a good one to watch if you care about the clash between ancient culture and science. This same battle is going on on Haleakala, too, but it's not quite as significant as what's happening on Mauna Kea.

Miulang
                                Miulang - did you catch this doc when it aired here (in Seattle) a month or so back? I taped it, but haven't yet viewed it.

Comment

Working...
                                X