This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: National TV Ads You Like

i haven't been following this thread so someone may have already mentioned it (tho i doubt it): it's the kaiser ad where they've created an alternate universe where people actually stand in line to get into an exercise class, where the libraries are open 24 hours a day, where vending machines sell fruit, etc.

even though it's probably not a very popular ad, i love it. i just wish the world were really like that...
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      I've rather enjoyed the "hapless credit card customer" ads that Citibank has, where the everyman struggles with navigating an automated phone system. In one, he destroys his kitchen trying to stay near the keypad, and in the other, a more advanced "voice response" system runs him through a gauntlet of options.

Voice: "For English, say yes."
      Customer: "Yes."
      Voice: "For security purposes, please say your pet's name."
      Customer (on train platform): "Fluffy."
      Voice: "For a shinier credit card, please say yes."
      Customer: "No."
      Voice: "Please say your password."
      Customer (in crowded train): "Big boy."
      Voice: "Please repeat."
      Customer: "Big boy!"
      I love this ad, too! I also like the identity theft ads Citi is also running. Just seeing someone talking with someone else's voice coming out of their mouths... I crack up every time I see those. And the lip sync is so precise.

I think the new Cingular ads are clever... the ones where the person's voice is muted whenever they start screaming about dropping a network that drops your calls. The sudden muting makes you pay attention... which is what the advertiser wants, of course.
      Last edited by liberty; May 28, 2006, 01:49 AM.

Comment

speaking of cingular commercials: the one promoting the GO phone through the lens of "teen horror movie" is clever and hysterical.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
          speaking of cingular commercials: the one promoting the GO phone through the lens of "teen horror movie" is clever and hysterical.
          Hehehe... "Now, can we talk about that convertible?"

Comment

How about the Volkswagen ads that depict bluntly realistic crashes? The first time I saw one, I was completely blindsided. And that was, of course, the point.

Here's ad one. Here's ad two. Here's an article about them from USA Today.

I was on the fence about these for a while. They're definitely going to give some younger kids nightmares. But as far as being memorable, having impact (no pun intended), and clarity of message, they're about as straightforward as ads get.

Comment

How about the Volkswagen ads that depict bluntly realistic crashes? The first time I saw one, I was completely blindsided. And that was, of course, the point.

Here's ad one. Here's ad two. Here's an article about them from USA Today.[...].
              Thanks, PZ. I'd not seen these ads and, well...WOW! The article is really interesting, esp. that the spots will air for such a short amount of time and may have stopped by now. And, no CGI involved...the real deal with stunt drivers. I'm impressed. Whether you like 'em or hate 'em, those are very memorable ads.

Comment

One I just saw last night.....

The Coke commercial with the guy and gal sitting on a bench (perhaps a bus stop?) and the guy makes a cellphone ring with his mouth. He takes a coke out of his bag and cracks it open and answers it like a telephone. Then he hands it to the gal and says, "It's for you." Cute!!!
                Lovena

Comment

The new Volkswagen Passat commercial

Drivers use bullhorns to (repeatedly) shout out their window how their car represents their personality...

• Road-raged young man driving a new Dodge Charger: "My father never hugged me!"

• Hot blonde driving a red convertible sports car: "Mens' attention makes me feel better!"

• 40's aged man driving Dodge Viper: "I'm making up for my shortcomings!"

The young couple (female passenger) in the Passat gets disgusted hearing all this and tosses their bullhorn out the window. Final cut moves to "Volkswagen Passat - lowest ego emissions".

That was actually a love/hate commercial for me. The love part was the concept of people announcing their "issues". Funny! I wish they'd do that on the streets of Honolulu.. that'd be hilarious!

The hate part was, first: the women clearly littered by throwing her bullhorn out the window; and second: the entire commercial barely shows the car being advertised.

Automobile 'image ads' are entertaining, but I wish they would focus more on the vehicle itself than the cleverness of the ad agency's creatives.

Cool commercial though.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Saw a Captiol One ad where the displaced barbarians are summer camp counslors.

Comment

Ah, Pomai, I love that ad, too. The things we all think we can surmise from someone's choice of car. When a particularly obnoxious vehicle rumbles past, my wife has actually been known to call out, "Sorry about your penis!"

Hadn't thought about the tossed bullhorn thing. As for ads that don't actually shows the product? That's a longstanding gripe... but since most car ads actually do emphasize the car itself, an ad or two that doesn't really doesn't irk me. In that ad's case, I really do think the message is more important than the specific product being sold. It's as much about brand image than anything else.

I wish nondescript cars actually came with little badges that said, "Low Ego Emissions." Of course, proclaiming how humble you are is a bit of an oxymoron. But I still like the concept.

Comment

Ah, Pomai, I love that ad, too. The things we all think we can surmise from someone's choice of car. When a particularly obnoxious vehicle rumbles past, my wife has actually been known to call out, "Sorry about your penis!"[...]
                        Ha! Gotta love that Jen! Please ask her to keep her window closed if you're in my neck of the woods. It's ok for her to call out...with a closed window!

Comment

The Orbit gum commerical with Snoop Dog going to hell, which after chewing he then goes to heaven and then the fine print that says "chewing Orbit gum doesn't get you into heaven".

Comment

Another series of commericals I sort of like are the ones from Apple where two guys are shown. One represents a Windows PC and the other a Macintosh.

Latest one is where the PC guy is in a wheelchair, in various limb cast sufferring from the aftermath of a virus attack.

Comment

Whether one likes 'em or not, Apple commercials are always on the creative cutting edge. I'm one of those who likes 'em...a lot!

Comment

It's been a while since I've seen a national TV spot that made me want to go back and watch it again, but a recent Travelers Insurance commercial really caught my eye. It's so evocative of a popular, surreal video game called Katamari Damacy that it can't be a coincidence. Very cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X