Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Superbowl ads?

Originally posted by Pomai
    But if I'm interested in buying a new automobile, I'd highly appreciate they showcase the PRODUCT, and not the production. (...) IMO, car commercials - or any hi-tech consumer good (electronics, etc.) - should be video brochures of the PRODUCT. Not a showcase of the ad agency's talent.
    I totally agree. However, I do have to say that what you saw was an "image" ad for the company, selling their brand name as opposed to selling a specific product. Quite often the bucks for those image ads come from the Publicity & Public Relations part of a company's budget, while the more specific product ads come from the Advertising part of the budget.
    Either way, the ad agency win$.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: Best Super Bowl ads?

I know alohabear posted the iFilm archive, and you can go to the individual advertisers' sites to see most of the ads. But I think Google Video's presentation of the Super Bowl ads is probably among the most straightforward. Including a link to watch 'em all, end to end.

They did include some un-aired ads (like so-called "banned" GoDaddy.com ads), though.

Some additional write-ups:

BusinessWeek: "After weeks of hoopla, often insufferable hype surrounding the Super Bowl ads, and anticipation over which one would score the equivalent of Best Picture Oscar, I have to say that it was a lousy year for ads."

New York Times: "To be sure, some spots were aimed at the lowest common denominator — after all, the game usually draws 90 million or more viewers — but refreshingly, they were outnumbered by spots reaching for a higher form of hilarity or trying to tug at the heartstrings."

Associated Press: "Cartoonish violence ruled the day at the annual knockdown competition among advertisers Sunday, as Bud Light, Diet Pepsi, Michelob and Sprint all used physical gags to hawk their wares at the Super Bowl, the most-watched television broadcast of the year."

ABC News: "Many were not that good," [Kaplan Thaler] said. "Diet Pepsi was bad. Careerbuilder, not enough with the Monkeys. GoDaddy.com was horrible."

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
        Sue, I'm curious what ABC charged for that 'floater pod'. Was there a charge to be on standby and another charge if it actually runs?
        The regular 30-second Superbowl spots cost $2.5 million each... ABC apparently made $145 million from Superbowl ads yesterday.
        Bet the ABC account execs are gonna eat at Bali too!
        I'm not ignoring your question, LN. I emailed my daughter for an explanation that's ok to post here. She initially misunderstood my question and mentioned she couldn't respond because the answer is highly confidential. So, I restated my question.

It appears my daughter is flying high on all the praise she's getting from within her industry. Media buying is completely foreign to me so doing whatever she did for the Super Bowl has scored her a lotta points and will look very good on her resume should she ever need another one! I'd be happy to see her get a raise and additional vacation time each year! But, I'm just her proud mom. What do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

But, I'm just her proud mom. What do I know?
          You know how to proudly toot your own horn just loud enough for people to like it, that's what. Congrats, Tutu!

Comment

I'm not ignoring your question, LN. I emailed my daughter for an explanation that's ok to post here. She initially misunderstood my question and mentioned she couldn't respond because the answer is highly confidential. So, I restated my question.
            No problem, Sue. I expected that might happen. Maybe she could give a ballpark amount instead of a fixed figure? Whatever. Thanks for checking for us!

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
              You know how to proudly toot your own horn just loud enough for people to like it, that's what. Congrats, Tutu!
              When the overstock.com ad aired yesterday I gasped and blurted..."Oh my God...my daughter's responsible for that spot airing! She never said a word!". Then, as mentioned earlier, I found out she negotiated that spot at 2:30 on Friday. I did know she was leaving on a flight to NoCal not too long after that. Was kinda fun not knowing and being surprised!

LikaNui...I won't have an answer to your 'pod' question for a couple of days. Apparently I'll be a 'student' in Buying 101 on Wednesday!

PZ...re: local ads during the game...
              "...all the networks have certain commercial pods that are set aside for national and local so yes, there are local spots that ran during the Super Bowl. Local spots usually run in the adjacency position (right before and right after a program airs). They have a few internal breaks for local but most of them are for the network since that’s where the big money is."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                [...]
                I would think so. If anything, I thought "local network affiliate ad time" were going to be the D position spots that ABC was filling with those cheesy "snuggling with the trophy" profiles of various players. But I do know that whoever was at the switch at KITV was a bit slow a couple of times, and I did see a fragment of a national ad before a local ad kick in (I think for the asbestos attorney?), and also saw the end of a local ad clipped to find us a few seconds into the game.
                Our group saw the 'fragment', too! "Oops" was heard in unison! I'm now questioning, esp. after reading my daughter's reply about local pods, if the local ad (Galiher?) should've aired at all. Possibly whoever was at the station's switch shouldn't have touched it. Dunno...just a guess on my part. I would think that spot, within the game, and not in an 'adjacency position', would've been prohibitively expensive for anything but a major corporate advertiser locally. Again, just guessing. I know Hawaiian Telcom aired within the game (I missed that one) and after the game (saw it!).

Comment

Our group saw the 'fragment', too! "Oops" was heard in unison!
                  I said the same thing a few times too. Saw the fragment, and saw two dead-air delays (one very fast, one very slow). Figured the guys in the control booth got caught up in the game, or, um, something liquid happened.
                  Good luck with your "Buying 101" class, Sue! Anyone who's a Media Buyer always gets my sympathy for the stress they're always under.

Comment

[...]Good luck with your "Buying 101" class, Sue! Anyone who's a Media Buyer always gets my sympathy for the stress they're always under.
                    Yep! Deadlines! It's all about deadlines! That's the one aspect of both of our jobs we can relate to.

BTW...I know I won't get any type of dollar figures from her, even ballpark figures. I, like you, am curious, tho', as to how the 'floating pod' rate is structured. Of course, my curiosity about the dollar amounts is huge but there are confidentiality agreements in place. But, dang...I'M HER MOTHER!

Comment

Yep! Deadlines! It's all about deadlines! That's the one aspect of both of our jobs we can relate to.

BTW...I know I won't get any type of dollar figures from her, even ballpark figures. I, like you, am curious, tho', as to how the 'floating pod' rate is structured. Of course, my curiosity about the dollar amounts is huge but there are confidentiality agreements in place. But, dang...I'M HER MOTHER!
                      My guess is she got an "overstock" price...

Had too much time on stock... so they gave up a couple freebies?

Nah j/k

Comment

Originally posted by myself!
                        [...]LikaNui...I won't have an answer to your 'pod' question for a couple of days. Apparently I'll be a 'student' in Buying 101 on Wednesday![...]
                        So...over a bottle of wine in a beautiful classroom (Bali By the Sea restaurant!) I think what I remember is...
                        The overstock.com ad that was placed in the 'floating pod' paid as if it had a guaranteed air time. Then, if it didn't air, the money would've been refunded. Dollar figures, even ballpark, are confidential...including moms!

Comment

The overstock.com ad that was placed in the 'floating pod' paid as if it had a guaranteed air time. Then, if it didn't air, the money would've been refunded. Dollar figures, even ballpark, are confidential...including moms!
                          Well, thanks for remembering the follow-up, mom!

Comment

Well, thanks for remembering the follow-up, mom!
                            I almost forgot to request the lesson!

Comment

Dollar figures, even ballpark, are confidential...including moms!
                              But why wouldn't your own daughter share something confidential with her own mom?

Unless, her mom's been known to . . .

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                                But why wouldn't your own daughter share something confidential with her own mom?

Unless, her mom's been known to . . .

Well, 'cuz of signed confidentiality agreements! I'd rather she share the money she's makin' for doin' such a great job...including honoring those darn confidentiality agreements! Actually, she did share. She took me to dinner at the Bali!

Comment

Working...
                                X