"Living in Lahaina" & "Maui Fever"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MTV Maui Heat a disgrace!

You should watch this disgraceful show of MTV, trying to portray Maui, and the island lifestyle! Check the net for comments, and just watch the show. It is disrespectful, and people should sign the online petition to get it off the air! Enough said......!

Comment

Re: MTV Maui Heat a disgrace!

Originally posted by knockouthawaii View Post
      You should watch this disgraceful show of MTV, trying to portray Maui, and the island lifestyle! Check the net for comments, and just watch the show. It is disrespectful, and people should sign the online petition to get it off the air! Enough said......!
      Don't watch the show! Then sign the petition.
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by knockouthawaii View Post
        people should sign the online petition to get it off the air!
        That's almost a sure-fire way to help keep it ON the air, I'd say. You want to make it disappear? Ignore it. Don't talk about it. Don't write about it online where Google will turn it into something people are talking about.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Re: "Living in Lahaina" & "Maui Fever"

FYI,
          Don`t know if that petitiononline will work, but so far going on 7000 sigs give or take... It`s just nowing something can help take this stupid thing called Maui Fever off the Air....It`s unreal how these MTV people can make our Island or our Islands look so dam cheap, like a bang in the sand kind of place that us locals live, and work and was born and raised on, where we raised our children, What next, go Big Island, Kaua`i, Lana`i, O`ahu, I think they already shoot segments on O`ahu, Moloka`i, Lickn`s dose buggas goin get
          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy View Post
            FYI,
            Don`t know if that petitiononline will work, but so far going on 7000 sigs give or take... It`s just nowing something can help take this stupid thing called Maui Fever off the Air....It`s unreal how these MTV people can make our Island or our Islands look so dam cheap, like a bang in the sand kind of place that us locals live, and work and was born and raised on, where we raised our children, What next, go Big Island, Kaua`i, Lana`i, O`ahu, I think they already shoot segments on O`ahu, Moloka`i, Lickn`s dose buggas goin get
            Yeah, the last thing Lahaina needs is MORE drunk young people trying to take advantage of the tourists! So I went to that petition website and was pretty shocked at some of the comments that some of the locals wrote, though. If we ever thought things like "Kill Haole Day" were a thing of the past, you sure couldn't tell that by what some irate locals wrote.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; January 24, 2007, 03:00 PM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
              Yeah, the last thing Lahaina needs is MORE drunk young people trying to take advantage of the tourists! So I went to that petition website and was pretty shocked at some of the comments that some of the locals wrote, though. If we ever thought things like "Kill Haole Day" were a thing of the past, you sure couldn't tell that by what some irate locals wrote.

Miulang
              I couldn't believe some of the comments on that petition!

The more attention and controversial it gets, the more likely MTV will want to keep it on the air.

You honestly believe that some stupid little petition online will convince MTV execs to pull the plug? Sorry, I don't think so -- especially with the language and jackassery I saw on that petition. Just don't watch it and let it die a slow death.

There's no need to threaten lickins. FOR REAL.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                I couldn't believe some of the comments on that petition!

The more attention and controversial it gets, the more likely MTV will want to keep it on the air.

You honestly believe that some stupid little petition online will convince MTV execs to pull the plug? Sorry, I don't think so -- especially with the language and jackassery I saw on that petition. Just don't watch it and let it die a slow death.

There's no need to threaten lickins. FOR REAL.
                If the people behind the petition were smart, they would start boycotting and writing to the companies that paid for ads immediately before and after and in the middle of the show. Usually if sponsors withdraw the money, that's when the shows go under.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                  Don't watch the show! Then sign the petition.
                  That's what I did.

Comment

Re: "Living in Lahaina" & "Island Fever"

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                    Wrong. Three words: ROB AND BIG.

you're joking,right? 'Maui Fever' is the worst thing MTV has ever put out,actually it's running neck to neck with the show with that fat kid in his Apt. in New York.....what's the name of that trainwreck?

Comment

Re: "Living in Lahaina" & "Island Fever"

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
                      you're joking,right? 'Maui Fever' is the worst thing MTV has ever put out,actually it's running neck to neck with the show with that fat kid in his Apt. in New York.....what's the name of that trainwreck?
                      Andy Milonakis? I think he's kinda funny, actually.

Hard to believe he's 30 years old.
                      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                      We're not here to mess around
                      Boston, you know we love you madly
                      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                      You know we couldn't live without you
                      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I actually tuned in despite the fact that I was wary of the show to begin with. About 5-10 mins in I found myself yawning and zoning out. The only reason to watch would be for the scenery which is rarely shown, except out of focus in shots involving two cast members whining about their relationships. The thing that kills me is not only the lack of diversity but also the fact that they're all transplants! I read that one or two of the cast members were born in Hawai'i but according to the local papers this is not true.
                        "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                        "But I can't even read good."
                        "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                        "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

MTV "shocked" by response to Maui Fever

Yeah, uh huh. What kind of response did MTV expect to get from a poorly conceived "reality" series that offended many locals and visitors to Maui?

“Maui Fever” critics have even drafted an online petition calling on MTV executives to cancel the show. The page was closed by creator Angie Platt of Ohio on Wednesday with more than 10,000 entries, and copies will be mailed to Gov. Linda Lingle and MTV corporate offices, Platt said.

The reactions – which are being called the strongest response to any Hawaii production by State Film Commissioner Donne Dawson – came as a shock to MTV representatives.

“It was sort of a surprise,” said executive producer Tony DiSanto during a phone interview from the network’s New York headquarters. “Our goal was not to document or make a statement about Maui or its people in general. It was about telling the story of this group of kids with Maui as the backdrop. On that point, I want to be very respectful to how Maui looks and appears as a backdrop. That was a big concern of ours . . . I think we delivered on that.”

DiSanto, who said the show attracts millions of viewers each week, added that he has taken the concerns to heart.

“I have the utmost respect for the people of Hawaii, the people of Maui,” he said. “(The local response) is something we will absolutely take into consideration.”

Meanwhile, some cast members are catching heat for participating in “Maui Fever” – particularly Cheyne Magnusson of Lahaina, a well-known pro surfer who has brought worldwide recognition to Maui for his surf industry accomplishments.

Magnusson, 23, one of the series’ leads and and actor in the skate film “Lords of Dogtown,” was born in Southern California and moved to Maui with his family at age 7. He said he agreed to do the show as a career opportunity to bring attention his clothing sponsors, and thought he would get teased by his friends and family, at most.

Instead, Magnusson said the negativity is “disheartening,” especially when he hears that people think he is giving a bad name to Maui, the tightknit community he’s known since little-kid days.
                          Miulang

Comment

Preview clip: Vapid and Horrid... wow.

And you guys are right, it's crazy -- nearly every person in that video is white. Not just the main actors. Huh??

Comment

Sunday Feb 4, Maui News front page:

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=27380

Comment

I watched a half of an episode today...boring....alot like Laguana Beach and well...boring! Just drinking and arguing and stupid kids.
                                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                                Sharing withother survivors...
                                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Working...
                                X