"Living in Lahaina" & "Maui Fever"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Living in Lahaina" & "Maui Fever"

Is Living in Lahaina on yet? Husband and my sons god father is interested in that. They are also stuck on Maui fever. They dont watch it of course because they like it, they watch it because it seems to disgust them. But they still want to watch it. Weird but anyways, I dont watch these shows seems like they potray Maui to make it look like its a party town and thats what everyone does there and just makes Maui look bad when Maui's not a bad place. Life in hawaii isnt all about partying, getting drunk and picking up chicks. If they are going to have showslike these they should atleast include culture in it and also insert of them working at their jobs not just messing around.

I could be wrong, maybe they do film them while at work I dont know. Ive seen a couple episodes but enough to make me laugh and walk away. But anyways, when would living in lahaina one be on? Anyone know?
    Last edited by Ecntrc; February 4, 2007, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Re: "Living in Lahaina" & "Maui Fever"

I grew up watching MTV in the 80s, when MTV was strictly MUSIC (video) TV (and rock and metal had approx. half the market), not Mostly Teeniebopper/Hip Hop TV, as it is today. Immediately out of my teens, I quickly matured out of (uneducational) music videos, towards the more enlightening Discovery Channel. Today, I can barely tolerate 5 minutes of MTV, as I'm in my 30's and way out the demographic ballpark to even consider enjoying a show such as Maui Fever. So it wouldn't be "fair" for me to judge the show on an entertainment level. Just watching that video clip someone posted here had me shuddering, then yawning.

I agree with the most common complaint being the lack of ethnic diversity. Sad. Thing is, the more controversy it stirs, the more people will want to tune in. I almost (almost.. almost) WANT to watch it now, just to see what all the commotion is about. I need to get my girlfriend's reaction to the show, as she's a (real) local girl, born and raised in Kahului. She also still watches MTV, even in her late 20's. lol

Don't even get me started on VH1's I Love New York "reality" (yeah right) show either.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: "Maui Fever"

Did anyone see Lee Cataluna’s column Sunday in the Advertiser? Some excellent comments about the “Maui Fever” show (which I’ve never seen and don’t intend to).
        One of her comments was “The worst part of "Maui Fever" is not that it doesn't portray real life on Maui; rather, that it does. A part of it, at least. Certainly not everyone on the Valley Island lives that way, but some do.”
        But her comment that really hit home didn’t particularly have anything to do with the show but was more about what has happened to Hawai`i in general. Lee wrote “When you sell something, you don't get to keep it anymore. Maui has been sold.”
        And so has O`ahu, clearly.
        Don't let our politicians sell any more.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: "Maui Fever"

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
          Did anyone see Lee Cataluna’s column Sunday in the Advertiser? Some excellent comments about the “Maui Fever” show (which I’ve never seen and don’t intend to).
          One of her comments was “The worst part of "Maui Fever" is not that it doesn't portray real life on Maui; rather, that it does. A part of it, at least. Certainly not everyone on the Valley Island lives that way, but some do.”
          But her comment that really hit home didn’t particularly have anything to do with the show but was more about what has happened to Hawai`i in general. Lee wrote “When you sell something, you don't get to keep it anymore. Maui has been sold.”
          And so has O`ahu, clearly.
          Don't let our politicians sell any more.

I don't always mesh with Lee Cataluna but this time I did. She's more right than anyone wants to believe. Maybe she should have returned with this column instead of the one that ran first. I also noticed she had done a story during that first week. It would be great to see her flexing some news-writing muscle.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
          X