Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rachael Ray butchers the Hawaiian language!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rachael Ray butchers the Hawaiian language!

Okay, okay - to be honest, I don't hate her. I just don't really have much of a reaction to her either way. Her appearance has no connection to her talent (or lack of it) in kitchen skills, but she would fall on the "pretty" side of the scale, imo. I never considered her weight to be an issue; I don't think she looks fat or plump or whatever term you would prefer. She looks - dare I say it - quite "normal."

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
      as for sexiest... i drool for

Giada De Laurentiis
      We call her show "Everyday Cleavage" in our house. Rachel Ray is who she is and her show makes for a great drinking game. Take a shot every time she says "up" or "evoo" and you'll be snockered in five mintues.

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
        as for the eggplant comment...err....*mumbles only slightly incoherently about the delicacy that is japanese eggplant*
        In their dreams.

Mine, too.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Rachel was real cool when she first got popular but the market's just gotten so Uber saturated with her and people are getting annoyed. I mean How much Yummo and EVOO can one stand?!? lol.

BTW, PZ... My mom (who works for Kraft) mentioned that kraft foods stock is on a nowntrend and I told them it's cause people aren't buying products with RR on them anymore LOL.

As for Giada... I like her and her recipes on her show sound good but her smile can be rather frightening at times. Just look at this guy's blog.

Oh and as mentioned here on HT Let's not forget Nigella
          Last edited by Kungpao; April 6, 2007, 07:38 AM.
          -kp!

Comment

as for the eggplant comment...err....*mumbles only slightly incoherently about the delicacy that is japanese eggplant*
            Originally posted by Random View Post
            In their dreams.

Mine, too.

i do declare that japanese eggplant is the preferred eggplant in my house. i don't care if there is a double entendre in that statement. japanese eggplant does better in filipino food than other kind. i don't care that there is an underlying allegory in that statement, also. *stomps foot impetuously and half-smirks*

ANYWAY, my next question would have been who won the iron chef challenge b/w rachael & giada, and again, while i do like both, i am gratified to hear from y'all that rachael won. in retrospect, it would make sense that rachael would win a timed contest given her background.

much has been said here about rachael's appearance (and i prefer her much more with darker hair, not that atrocious overhighlighted straw that now passes as her hair), but if i were to stoop to shallowly judging giada by her appearance--she's got an exquisite face until you realize her forehead goes on seemingly forever. at the same time, that high forehead, if you're into high foreheads, does kinda give her a regal, lioness-like appearance, esp with her hairstyle.

i could also post my musings about the motives behind putting rach and giada against each other, esp since professional cooking is still largely a testosterone-driven profession. let me point out that we NEVER compare one male chef's appearance to another male chef's, at least not to the degree that we do the women, and yes, i know this is an enduring complaint that we make as women--why are women, no matter what their professional achievements, still judged by their appearance in ways men never are. bleh, i feel myself digressing again waaaaay too much so i'll stop here bcs i'm not feeling so ambitious to start a separate thread.
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

let me point out that we NEVER compare one male chef's appearance to another male chef's, at least not to the degree that we do the women
              Of course, since it's been said that you should never trust a skinny chef, that may be one reason I prefer the larger Mario Batali over the lesser Bobby Flay.

Well, that and Flay comes across as an arrogant sh!t, much of the time.

So, Cyn - Chef Kerry Simon ... hot or not?

Comment

i do declare that japanese eggplant is the preferred eggplant in my house. i don't care if there is a double entendre in that statement. japanese eggplant does better in filipino food than other kind. i don't care that there is an underlying allegory in that statement, also. *stomps foot impetuously and half-smirks*
                No way! The long, crooked Chinese eggplant mo bettah in filipino dishes.

Must ... resist ... double ... entendre.

Comment

i could also post my musings about the motives behind putting rach and giada against each other, esp since professional cooking is still largely a testosterone-driven profession. let me point out that we NEVER compare one male chef's appearance to another male chef's, at least not to the degree that we do the women, and yes, i know this is an enduring complaint that we make as women--why are women, no matter what their professional achievements, still judged by their appearance in ways men never are. bleh, i feel myself digressing again waaaaay too much so i'll stop here bcs i'm not feeling so ambitious to start a separate thread.
                  So, who you wahines like? Alan Wong or Chai? Chai or Choy? Choy or Prudhomme? Ming or Yan?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                    Of course, since it's been said that you should never trust a skinny chef, that may be one reason I prefer the larger Mario Batali over the lesser Bobby Flay.

Well, that and Flay comes across as an arrogant sh!t, much of the time.

So, Cyn - Chef Kerry Simon ... hot or not?
                    flay's married to the blond ice queen who used to be on L&O SVU--the one whose character suffered a fake death and went into witness protection, not the one who used to be on Joss Whedon's Angel.

Kerry Simon? bleh. i'm not into the shaggy hairy chef look, bcs i'd worry about said hair being in my soup. Todd English? double bleh, esp w/his rather rich frat boy/athelete-ish tendencies. however, slap Tyler Florence on a plate with some au jus and give me a biscuit and i'll devour that. the english guy with a lisp is rather cute in a sorta effete way, and i think i find him more attractive if i watch "naked chef" with the sound off. by the way, i resent the false advertising of that show's title. i really was hoping for a show hosted by a male chef wearing nothing but the apron. *pout*

alton brown was voted one of the finalists for sexiest man living at salon.com (http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/200...n/index2.html), and i'm not going to argue with that.

No way! The long, crooked Chinese eggplant mo bettah in filipino dishes.

Must ... resist ... double ... entendre.
                    you know, some would say there's not much difference between the varieties of asian...eggplant. but i know better.

So, who you wahines like? Alan Wong or Chai? Chai or Choy? Choy or Prudhomme? Ming or Yan?
                    given the choices named, i guess i'll take ming tsai. he's kinda good looking, but his bad camera angles are...not as flattering as his good ones.

as for mario batali--has anyone else heard that he detests emeril, and that's why mario constantly makes a point of saying that in good, genuine italian cooking, there's never an overabundance of garlic? is there any credence to that?
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                      Rachael Ray's "$40 a Day" show tonight on Food Network was done on Oahu.. boy did she really butcher the hawaiian language! i don't think i heard her same one hawaiian word even closely right. you would think that someone would correct her for the narration.. guess not
                      Has anyone seen her on that show actually not liking something and saying it? Whenever I watch her I'm waiting for that fake Mmmm... delicious routine. She has butchered many languages. She's cute so she's forgiven. Rachel, just for once, spit it out ladylike in a napkin and ask for your money back!

Comment

in good, genuine italian cooking, there's never an overabundance of garlic? is there any credence to that?
                        Several years back, I heard a local chef say "there's no such thing as too much sex ... or too much garlic."

Unless, of course, you aren't getting to share in either one.

Comment

as for mario batali--has anyone else heard that he detests emeril, and that's why mario constantly makes a point of saying that in good, genuine italian cooking, there's never an overabundance of garlic? is there any credence to that?[/QUOTE]

I don't know about any feuds between them but Italians eat about 1 kg per year (according to an Italian website). I find it a rather small amount, any garlic hater would find it excessive

Comment

Originally posted by reineke View Post
                            I don't know about any feuds between them but Italians eat about 1 kg per year (according to an Italian website). I find it a rather small amount, any garlic hater would find it excessive
                            Eh, when a filipino dish recipe calls for 2 cloves of garlic, I put 3, and I look for the really fat ones.

But you will never catch me eating them raw. Like bago'ong, they're flavor enhancers.

I also like to put tad more pepper to avoid using salt.

Comment

Originally posted by reineke View Post
                              as for mario batali--has anyone else heard that he detests emeril, and that's why mario constantly makes a point of saying that in good, genuine italian cooking, there's never an overabundance of garlic? is there any credence to that?
                              IMO, he's right.

As a 100% Sicilian blooded , 2nd generation American, growing up on mom's amazing cooking, and an extended family of amazing Italian cooks, nothing irritates me more than those "Italian" restaurants that overdo the garlic on everything.

For instance, A really good tomato sauce should have a nice balance of the tomato flavor, garlic flavor, and basil flavor The balance is so important.

I guess that's why I don't like "marinara" as much. Usually no basil, and very garlic-y.
                              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Lol, over here in DC "authentic Italian" is rarely authentic. I know a couple of restaurants that are good (and really run by Italians) but the best Italian food I ever had in the US was in New York.

One kilo of garlic per year isn't that much, but I'd say they both have a point. Most of the time it's like Mario says, but occasionally people like to go bang! more garlic!

One kilo per year is also divided across the entire population. Some Italians eat more garlic than others. I believe Indians consume much more.

I eat it raw, I grew up with it and some foods would just not taste right without some onion or garlic on the side.

Comment

Working...
                                X