Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Exteme Makeover Home Edition in Hawaii

Originally posted by Karen View Post
    Sue, this can get touchy in a technical, legal sense cuz their privately owned home is on the same land with the center which is non-profit. maybe they will divide the land from the house, but oh my they do have some legal rangling to make, and by "they" I mean the tax assessers. Hmmmm, however, no way they can legally make the private house part of the non-profit tax bill unless the owners put in writing that the charity owns the house. Maybe...that is the way to go...hmmm......like a preacher living in a parsonage the church owns? I wonder.....
    I learned this morning that the Akana's old house is being turned into transitional housing for women getting out of prison. Another benevolent cause! But, isn't this the house where the back part was severely damaged by the 2004 flood? And, I thought their old house was demolished to make way for the new house! Maybe the demolition I saw was the old KOKA house that was purchased with the grant awhile back?

So, the new house was built on the land purchased by KOKA and where the old KOKA facility resided which means it's on KOKA land. Maybe KOKA does, indeed, own the house...which could/would be a tax benefit.

I believe the Akana's application video included their flood damaged home. I wonder if it was the show's idea to build a new house without demo'ing the old one. It seems to me that turning the old home, owned by the Akanas, iirc, into a charitable cause will have tax benefits. And, if KOKA owns the new house, that, too, will have tax benefits for the Akanas.

Momi probably has excellent non-profit skills at this point and has figured out all of the property related issues. I'm a dunce on those matters!

Gooooooo Momi!!!

Comment

Yes, I read online a few days ago or saw in KITV video that the old house will be transitional housing for women getting out of prison, or did they say jail? or both? anyway....is it safe for anything like that? or can funds from the charity be used to improve that bad portion of the house? not sure....hopefully, though.

Don't know if they really own this house, but it's being worded as if they do, and yes it's on the charity land and for it to be a huge gift, reward to them for doing so much, sure it's in their name but we don't know for sure. If they put it in the charity's name that would prevent any gift tax state and fed. level, but....they had paid on a mortgage and if it isn't in their name, the new house....they then would be losing, giving away so much.

We may never know all of the answers unless they do get hit by a huge tax bill, then we probably will hear about it and be able to help. Again, some of these things are public information, so we may find out.

Momi is a precious soul and I bet there are people that love her accordingly and are looking out for her, and if there is one more huge thing the community can do, we'll probably hear about it by next April.

God bless her and Go Momi! indeed.
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I remember reading the address of the property online. Anyone that recalls it, 3030 Kalihi Valley, road? or what was it.....can put that in and it should come up here. I got this link from The Advertiser. There's no invasion of privacy here, as this is public info and we all can look up any addy we wish, not just our own.

http://www.honolulupropertytax.com/A...&Submit=Search

Comment

3030 Kalihi St.

Info regarding a Theresa Durand, of 3030 Kalihi St., can be found on page 16 of that PDF.

As for the tax site, search 3030 Kalihi. Leave off St or Street.

Comment

All of you have taken "niele" to a whole new level! I'm finding the turn this discussion has taken to be very intrusive and frankly disgusting. It's none of my business and I'm removing myself from any more of this thread. There are times when we all need to put moral brakes on ourselves and realize that just because we CAN do something, it doesn't mean we SHOULD.

The Akana's are not some Hollywood celebrities - they are a regular family who got a great gift. Leave them alone to enjoy it. Show some decorum if nothing else.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

The more I think about it, ABC used Hawaii. The aloha spirit prevailed and what did it cost ABC to overhaul the old homestead & school? Well, according to the papers, material, labor, food, designer, etc, were all donated. The way i see it ABC paid for the entire trip of their crew of 12. What else???

Come September the ratings will be high, 2-hr special featuring Hawaii, a good-feel story, and ABC reaps the rewards at little expense. Now that's showbiz!

Comment

Anapuni, I know my conscience is clear because I have wronged no one, but discussed things I have read in the local media, and heard on my tv at home.

I do trust you'll be contacting the Advertiser, Bulletin and especially KITV next, to tell them how wrong their level of "niele" has been. shame on them for bringing this all to our attention, and on us for caring so much!

I beg to differ, as this family is now celebrity status on our island. What comes with it is the attention they have gotten and are getting, and all of it loving and caring, from what I've encountered.

Dick, it occurred to me that the tax assessers maybe haven't even been to the house and gotten it into the online system yet. May not even come up yet for this reason.

Comment

Originally posted by ploal5333 View Post
                  The more I think about it, ABC used Hawaii. The aloha spirit prevailed and what did it cost ABC to overhaul the old homestead & school? Well, according to the papers, material, labor, food, designer, etc, were all donated. The way i see it ABC paid for the entire trip of their crew of 12. What else???
                  The 'round-the-clock paramedics were paid! We might want to watch the credits of the Hawaii show to see if there is any mention of an airline and hotel. If so, then those were comped also. I wonder if the HVCB kicked in any money.
                  Come September the ratings will be high, 2-hr special featuring Hawaii, a good-feel story, and ABC reaps the rewards at little expense. Now that's showbiz!
                  Hawaii will also reap the rewards via the 2 hour exposure. That might be 2 hours of free advertising for Hawaii, altho' as I questioned above, Hawaii may have kicked in some money. ABC didn't "use" Hawaii. This segment is, most likely, a win-win for both the network and the State.

Comment

Dick, it occurred to me that the tax assessers maybe haven't even been to the house and gotten it into the online system yet. May not even come up yet for this reason.
                    If you enter 3030 Kalihi (don't include St, or Street) into the search, the 2006 records for the residence are found.

Comment

...I beg to differ, as this family is now celebrity status on our island. What comes with it is the attention they have gotten and are getting, and all of it loving and caring, from what I've encountered.
                      I have to agree with this.

The family willingly took the risk of putting themselves in the spotlight as soon as they submitted their video to ABC. It comes with the territory.

How unfortunate that the only negativity I've encountered about this whole thing was found in this thread.
                      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                      We're not here to mess around
                      Boston, you know we love you madly
                      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                      You know we couldn't live without you
                      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Front Page news Hononlulu Advertiser, today...

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...707020351/1001

Comment

Front Page news Hononlulu Advertiser, today...

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...707020351/1001
                          Ian Lind wrote about this last Saturday on his blog.

Comment

They can say what they want about it not being "need-based," but I must say this lets the wind out of my sails. I was planning to watch the episode; now I think I'll do something else. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to feel this way -- the children got their space and this family's project is a worth cause -- but it's how I feel. I just don't see how the big reveal at the end could be a real chicken-skin moment anymore.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              They can say what they want about it not being "need-based," but I must say this lets the wind out of my sails.
                              Agreed. When we have so very many people who are truly in need, I just can't come up with a whole lot of empathy for a couple who make a quarter-million dollars a year.
                              I'll likely watch the episode, just to see how EMHE treats Hawai`i, though.
                              And this all makes me wonder how many other episodes of EMHE have featured wealthy people, or if the situation here is going to cause a major expose huhu in the national media.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The Advertiser piece did say that another couple that has been featured on the show, given a home and each of their kids given college educations, etc....were found to own another property, an investment property worth 200K, if i recall, which may be a lot more house in their state than that would be here.

Today's newspaper piece also answers something else we wondered about here, and it was when we were discussing possible tax implications. We now know that they don't outright own the house. The tv show people drew up a lease for them, keeping the details of the lease private but the charity owns the house. Maybe it's a fifty year lease or something. I wonder.....knowing the investigation of the Advertiser, we'll probably eventually know even that, being it's a charity, and govt. funds go to it, etc. I can say that it is fair if and when we do, in this case.

Comment

Working...
                                X