The Sopranos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sopranos

Can we discuss it or should we wait until everyone has seen it so as not to spoil it for anyone?

Re: The Sopranos

I missed it lastnight!! So just wait for me until tonight!!
    I am going to catch it tonight, on HBO.

Nah, I kid, I won't come in here until I see it!
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

When I was watching it, I was a little pissed at the way it ended. Looking back on it, however, I'd say it was a decent close. I think it could have easily been better, though. I had pretty high expectations and was hoping for a last episode better than the previous one (where Bobby and Silvio got shot).
      (minor spoiler)
      Either I wanted to see some action (like seeing Tony use that AR10), or some sense of closure -- preferably both. We got little of either, but I still kind of liked it. The only thing I didn't really like was the very abrupt last scene.
      (major spoiler)
      I guess a reasonable conclusion is that Tony was shot in the head by the guy who went to the men's room. That would explain why the ending was so abrupt. It's as abrupt as an unexpected and instantly fatal gunshot to the head would be. We don't get to see what happens after his death because that's the cruel nature of an unexpected death. Loose ends are left untied. Stories are left untold. Projects are left unfinished. As badly as you may want to know what happens, death is just merciless that way.

If that's the story, then it's an ending worthy of the show. In fact, I would love for that to be the case more than to see a Sopranos movie. I've always appreciated the fact that The Sopranos has always been brutal with its characters, its cast and its audience. Longtime friends like Pussy get clipped with little remorse. Cast members infamously read their scripts nervously wondering if they'd get written off the show. Writers set the audience up to feel sympathetic toward a character like Adrianna then ruthlessly end the story arc. So if the story is what I said above in the spoiler, then I say the end was absolutely brilliant.
      (major spoiler)
      The way the show actually ended feels like a bit of a sell out. Although a fatal shot to the head is a reasonable conclusion, they left it open enough that a movie or some other kind of ongoing story was possible. It's the same way movies nowadays always seem to need to leave the plot open to a possible sequel. I suppose that's just the nature of the business, but to leave the story open-ended in that way feels a little cheap.

I get the feeling there was supposed to be a gunshot at the end of that last scene, but HBO told Chase to cut that last one second out so they'd have the option to produce a movie. I can sort of go along with the theory that your brain wouldn't have been able to process the sound of a gunshot before it was blown apart, but Tony should've seen some kind of startled look on Carm or AJ's face just before everything went to black. In any case, they could've easily wrote something like that in and brought the story to a bold close, but it feels like they sold out instead. At least that's how it feels to me.

While it does bother me a little, I can appreciate the concerns of the entertainment business. They're in it to make money, and I don't really think the way they ended the story took very much away from it. It's just not what I personally wanted most to see.

I liked the episode overall and thought it was a decent end to the series. The best last episode of any show I've seen, however, was for Six Feet Under.

(major spoiler)
      Oh, and what did Agent Harris mean when he said "We're gonna win this thing!" (after hearing Phil got clipped)?

Comment

Why dont' you just title the thread "SPOILERS". ? That way those who have not seen it wont come in.
        n'importe

Comment

What do you think of this writer's spin on the ending's meaning?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            What do you think of this writer's spin on the ending's meaning?
            Wow that ending quote lead me to believe the writer is a little....bitter shall we say??

I am going to watch it again. I watched it tonight but the ending took me so by surprise
            I thought my TV broke!
            Since when is psycho a bad thing??
            Sharing withother survivors...
            www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

For some reason, I figured it out immediately — Chase letting us project our own "ending" — and laughed delightedly.
              Burl Burlingame
              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I've yet to see a single episode of The Sopranos (the first disc of Season 1 is just in from Netflix), but it's been impossible to avoid discussion of the finale. Jason Genegabus at the Star-Bulletin posted an extensively forwarded e-mail that purports to make some sense of that final diner scene. Sounds like the kind of little details that a brilliant series would rely on to wrap up, but because I don't know the show, I have no idea how likely this theory is.

Just look at all the debate out there. Liked it or hated it, it looks like the finale was a success insofar as it's got people talking.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                  For some reason, I figured it out immediately — Chase letting us project our own "ending" — and laughed delightedly.
                  Chase filmed the opening sequence of the movie, is what he did.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                    I've yet to see a single episode of The Sopranos
                    Same here, Ryan.
                    Anyone else willing to 'fess up with us?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I watched the whole several series on Netflix in a several months time frame. (2 disks per week). I loved the show, but (IMO) you can clearly see how it was much darker in the first few seasons vs. it's later seasons. When you watch it like that, it's easier to see vs. an eight year time span. Still a brilliant show, I certainly will miss it.
                      n'importe

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        Same here, Ryan.

'Fessin' up in Kakaako!

Comment

What is so lovable and appealing about a mafia family?
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            What is so lovable and appealing about a mafia family?
                            That's the whole point of the show, because, even tho Tony Soprano does dispicable things, you still root for him...

I'm in Hilo, and have no access to HBO (low budge hotel), so I haven't seen this last episode yet....My guess is that it wouldn't end with a fanfare, but more of a "life goes on" type scenario, leaving room for future film or series possibilities.
                            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              Same here, Ryan.

oh, easily and without any regrets or embarrassment. i may watch it someday on dvd but there are so many things going on, there's just not enuf time to do and watch everything...
                              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
                              X