tv listings: what do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tv listings: what do you use?

i've been very happy using tvguide.com for a long time; it gave me all the info i needed about what shows would be airing at what time and even a brief description. now, however, for reasons that i don't understand, the listings are quite incomplete and not very helpful.

i wonder if there's a good alternative that you guys are using; if so, would you post the url?

thanks!
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: tv listings: what do you use?

I am just using the Oceanic Digital Cable guide listing and the Honolulu Advertiser TV Week.

Comment

I use zap2it.com.

Comment

Originally posted by ploal5333 View Post
        I use zap2it.com.
        i've taken a look at that site before but found the order of the listings to be less than convenient (e.g., abch, cbsh, nbch, foxh (so far so good, but then...) cwh, mnth, aetvp, amcp, etc.

on the other hand, it does have all the info one would could hope for. i should check it out more closely and see if it's possible to change the order of the channels so that it reflects the channels from 2 to 76...

thanks for the tip

5 minutes later > i registered and it's great! after entering all that info (esp zip code) and going to the advanced area, i've got all the info i need. thanks for the excellent suggestion!
        Last edited by shaveice; July 22, 2007, 01:11 AM.
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

You're most welcome! We're on DISH Network so the Sunday TV Guide and daily listings only apply to the local channels here. All the cable channels run either on east coast or west coast time, so it's very easy to miss a show unless one knows whether that particular channel runs on east coast or west coast time. Most, however, run on east coast time.

Zap2it.com is the only dependable site for DISH Network that I've found.

Comment

I don't watch much tv cuz this puter thing sorta keeps my attention, and I can multi-task at my desk while funnin on the internet, but when I do watch tv I like to just surf the channels and find out what's on that way. I can't count how many times I have used a guide and something sounded boring or uninteresting, but I surfed by it anyway and liked it a lot better than I had thought I would, which was not at all. (LOL was that edith- bunker-speak?)
            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

We use zap2it.com. I hate the TV guide that comes with the newspaper... I wish they would go back to the old format.

Comment

[QUOTE=shaveice;155109]i've taken a look at that site before but found the order of the listings to be less than convenient (e.g., abch, cbsh, nbch, foxh (so far so good, but then...) cwh, mnth, aetvp, amcp, etc.

If you haven't noticed, you can customize your own listings grid. Look under SET PREFERENCES. After you ADD the channels you want, you can put them in the order you want.

I used to use TV Guide, but as stated earlier, they started offering less and less.

Garry

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                  i've been very happy using tvguide.com for a long time; it gave me all the info i needed about what shows would be airing at what time and even a brief description. now, however, for reasons that i don't understand, the listings are quite incomplete and not very helpful.

i wonder if there's a good alternative that you guys are using; if so, would you post the url?

thanks!
                  www.TitanTV.com
                  www.zap2it.com

At least these two offer six-hour grids.

But I trust TVGuide.com more on up-to-date scheduling. The only thing that irks me is that when selecting Honolulu Area Broadcast, I get channels from Maui County area. Would be good if I'm back on Molokai, but I'm on Oahu.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I can't remember the last time I was really conscious or curious about when a TV show was broadcast. Ever since becoming a TiVo household, we just rely on the fact that the stuff we want to see will be recorded and organized and can be watched whenever. The TiVo even records stuff we didn't know about, and is usually spot-on in its guess that we would like it!

So far "LOST" is the only show we've come to watch "live."

FWIW, I think TiVo's own schedule is syndicated from Zap2It. A lot of the independent PVRs out there use its listings as well.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      I can't remember the last time I was really conscious or curious about when a TV show was broadcast. Ever since becoming a TiVo household, we just rely on the fact that the stuff we want to see will be recorded and organized and can be watched whenever. The TiVo even records stuff we didn't know about, and is usually spot-on in its guess that we would like it!

So far "LOST" is the only show we've come to watch "live."

FWIW, I think TiVo's own schedule is syndicated from Zap2It. A lot of the independent PVRs out there use its listings as well.
                      TiVo sounds good but i don't have it yet. with a little kid, it's impossible to watch something without a million interruptions; besides, i don't want her to turn into a tv addict at just 3 years old! so i need to set the vcr for the early stuff before 11 pm....

Comment

I seldom seek programming, but when I do (like, when a certain actor catches my interest and I want to check out other stuff by him or her), I'll usually use TiVo.com. When you're away from the set (like, at work), you can still program your TiVo from the website, which I have on occasion found very useful.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                          with a little kid, it's impossible to watch something without a million interruptions; besides, i don't want her to turn into a tv addict at just 3 years old!
                          Unlike a VCR, which must tape a show completely before you can rewind and watch it, a TiVo or DVR lets you "pause live television." Interruptions, even when you're watching live, are no problem. 'Round bedtime in our house, the evening news gets paused half a dozen times as the little people are rounded up, washed down, and tucked in!

A TiVo or DVR also lets you create a "walled garden" of content for kids. Watching TV is a privilege and reward for our kids, but they only get to see what we've recorded. Shows we approve of. Compare that to giving your kids the TV green light, then watching them channel surf to who knows what trying to find "something good on" -- which is often not that good!

Anyway. If you have to look up TV show times, Zap2It is probably your best bet. I also used to enjoy playing around with Yahoo! and its presentation of TV information. Various customization and personalization options, and a fairly clean interface.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                            Unlike a VCR, which must tape a show completely before you can rewind and watch it, a TiVo or DVR lets you "pause live television." Interruptions, even when you're watching live, are no problem. 'Round bedtime in our house, the evening news gets paused half a dozen times as the little people are rounded up, washed down, and tucked in!

A TiVo or DVR also lets you create a "walled garden" of content for kids. Watching TV is a privilege and reward for our kids, but they only get to see what we've recorded. Shows we approve of. Compare that to giving your kids the TV green light, then watching them channel surf to who knows what trying to find "something good on" -- which is often not that good!

Anyway. If you have to look up TV show times, Zap2It is probably your best bet. I also used to enjoy playing around with Yahoo! and its presentation of TV information. Various customization and personalization options, and a fairly clean interface.
                            yeah, TiVo sounds pretty good; i'll have to look into it someday.

tried checking out the yahoo link but even after entering my zip code and type of service, the list is incomplete. it's missing channels 17 - 24, 29 - 45, 58 - 77!!!

not a problem, tho. zap2it provides all the info i need. thanks!

Comment

FWIW, Zap2It is the same company that powers Oceanic TW's on-screen guide on analog Ch. 12.

Comment

Working...
                              X