"Heroes" - Season 2 on NBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Heroes" - Season 2 on NBC

It seems that the previous generaton has passive powers. No wonder they can't defend themselves against Adam and Parkman's Dad.

Thanks Helen.
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Kaito. I don't know. He doesn't seem to have fast reflexes, fly, regenerate or stop time or any other power that would be useful in a fight. The sword thing he teaches to Hiro is more of skill than a power.
      Maybe he can teach people things very quickly. That would explain how Hiro became so proficient in a Japanese sword art in a relatively short amount of time (Future Hiro said he was a Battojutsu master).

Originally posted by Zovo View Post
      2.) Could someone explain what we believe Sylar's power to be? One member refered to it as Intuitive Aptitude, which basically means, he's just good at stuff.
      http://heroeswiki.com/Intuitive_aptitude

He has intimate knowledge of the inner workings of things, which he can use to decipher people's powers and take them for himself. It's very similar to Michael Scofield's low latent inhibition on Prison Break.

Comment

Ok, so, isn't Sylar's power indicative of the idea that the Heroes aren't neccesarily genetically different in any form other than having innate human abilities switched on?

What I mean is, if Sylar can analyze the inner workings of their brains and understand "how it works," doesn't that mean that he (and likely all people) have the potential for super powers if they only understood how to unlock them; what makes them tick?
        Grab some goggles and answer to nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Zovo View Post
          What I mean is, if Sylar can analyze the inner workings of their brains and understand "how it works," doesn't that mean that he (and likely all people) have the potential for super powers if they only understood how to unlock them; what makes them tick?
          Sylar's initial power (Intuitive Aptitude) seems like just a talent; it's special, but it still seems mundane, not magical like flying or time travel. Look at Charlie's power, didactic memory. There are plenty of people in history who are strongly suspected of having this talent, but does this mean they were all drawing Takezo Kensei's symbol subconsciously? (Claire did this on her notebook early in season 1)

However, the series strongly paints Sylar's ability as something extraordinary. Some characters have iconic power usage cues. Hiro's concentration face, Eden's persuasion voice, Matt Parkman's mind sound effect. Sylar had the tick tock sound effect. He knew Chandra's watch was broken without even having a very good look at it. I would rather they show him actually using his base power more often, doing something besides sizing up brains. I think they did this in season 2 when he killed Derek. Remember the tick tock noise before he did the deed? It probably indicated his tactical analysis of the situation.

It's appropriate the writers gave him an insignificant power for his insecurities and insanity to kick in. It was such a subtle power, Chandra Suresh didn't even think he had any abilities. And that really upset Sylar.

Comment

Right, and understand that, but what is it that makes him able to mimic the powers of other people once he's figured them out? Like the dude who could melt objects. . . Sylar couldn't do that before he encountered him, and now that he's "figured it out" he can, doesn't that imply that he had the capability before he even met that guy but just didn't know he did? That he had to "figure it out."

I guess what I'm saying is that, by use of his intuition, Sylar isn't stealing powers, he's unlocking them within himself. That, theoretically, if he didn't have to dismantle brains to figure it out, he could potentially unlock said powers within himself without having to kill people.

Am I making sense?

Comment

Maybe everyone does have some ability and that's why 93% of the population is dead because of the virus in 2008. I dunno just a guess. I thought the virus only affects "heroes."
              just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
                Maybe everyone does have some ability and that's why 93% of the population is dead because of the virus in 2008. I dunno just a guess. I thought the virus only affects "heroes."
                Maybe it's like a flu virus. Sooner or later it will mutate and jump from the heroes to the mundanes.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  HRG = Horn Rimmed Glasses. I think it's something that posters of HawaiiThreads coined for the character of Noah Bennet since during the early part of the first season of Heroes he had no name.
                  Not just this messageboards. Everywhere, before HRG was given a full name later in the first season.

HRG is just a shortcut.

Comment

HRG was actually used as shorthand by the show itself. For example, in the listings the network provided to TV Guide, Zap2It and other services, they used "HRG" as if everyone knew exactly who that was. And most did!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      HRG was actually used as shorthand by the show itself.
                      Of course. If you have closed caption decoder, you may notice the shorthand for his dialogue.

Comment

So what happen to Matt tonight? He wasn't around when Sylar went to Molly.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                          So what happen to Matt tonight? He wasn't around when Sylar went to Molly.
                          I didn't think Sylar actually went to Molly. I thought Sylar was with Maya and bluffing Mohinder? I need to watch it again (I wasn't fully paying attention at that point).

Comment

So we're told that next week, 2 Heroes will eat it. Any speculations anyone?

Comment

I hope it is not Peter and/or Hiro, those guys seem to be what anchors the series. I think Adam might count as one of the two. Maybe Maya.

Comment

They would be the obvious choices;

Adam because he's essentially THE bad guy for this season.
                                And Maya because, well, Sylar has explicitly stated that he's going to kill her.

These are two reasons I'm expecting it to be someone else. Pretty sure Adam's gonna die, but I'm not sure he counts as one of the "Heroes" since he is the villain.

I see Maya lasting though, why? Because to give Sylar, literally, the powers to grant life or death, would be (as we dorks might call it) game breaking.

Comment

Working...
                                X