Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Trials of Review Writing

Hello everyone,

I know that a lot of folks here have their own private blogs, and I know that soem of them include food review sites. I recently started one of my own, Locokinegrindz, and my first review for Restaurant Epic has received some negative feedback.

My only frustration over the two comments made for my review is that people don't seem to understand that odds are the night I went to eat at Epic there was something off about their preparation. I even say in my respones to their comments that I understand that restaurants have off nights. The last comment made from "Brent" even MISQUOTED my review. For some reason he thinks that I said I would not return to Epic just because of this one bad experience, even though I clearly state that I FULLY INTEND to!

Maybe I'm just venting some frustration... I just don't see the point of flaming someone's review when you clearly have no idea what the food tasted like at that time. I'm sure EVERY SINGLE restaurant in the world has served up an ill prepared dish here and there and upset their patrons over it... and I feel that this time around at Epic that was the case.

But, I cannot "review" a restaurant based on what I THINK the food was supposed to taste like, only on what the actual taste was...

Do any of my fellow food bloggers find this problem?

Here's the link to Brent's comments:
    http://www.locokinegrindz.com/wordpress/?p=7#comment-38
    Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Re: The Trials of Review Writing

What about NOT reading the comments?
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
      What about NOT reading the comments?
      I'm not quite sure what you mean? You mean I should ignore the comments?

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

For the record, The Honolulu Star-Bulletin's Nadine Kam reviewed Epic twice and it didn't fare well with either of her reviews, including this one filed in March.

That said, maybe you were right and they're stinging over there at Epic. Just goes to show if you have a really stunningly handsome young man as the lead chef, it doesn't mean he's found his rhythm in the kitchen. We all want Epic to do well, we really, really, do.

But if you're going to be in the business of restaurant reviews, then you need to develop a thick skin. You're writing as you see it and taste it. You don't write to suck up. You can't expect to be embraced. You can't expect to be appreciated. You shouldn't even expect that what you have to say is worth listening to.

I don't know what your background is, but, usually a restaurant reviewer either has experience in the culinary field or has an accumulation of food appreciation. Yes, we all start somewhere, but what's your cred??? (feels funny for an old gal like me to say that, haha)

Think about it...if they didn't get their toques in a twist how effective would you feel? They should have blown you off and not responded at all. That they did puts you on the map. Press on, don't back off, and take yourself as seriously as you want the rest of us to.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          For the record, The Honolulu Star-Bulletin's Nadine Kam reviewed Epic twice and it didn't fare well with either of her reviews, including this one filed in March.

That said, maybe you were right and they're stinging over there at Epic. Just goes to show if you have a really stunningly handsome young man as the lead chef, it doesn't mean he's found his rhythm in the kitchen. We all want Epic to do well, we really, really, do.

But if you're going to be in the business of restaurant reviews, then you need to develop a thick skin. You're writing as you see it and taste it. You don't write to suck up. You can't expect to be embraced. You can't expect to be appreciated. You shouldn't even expect that what you have to say is worth listening to.

I don't know what your background is, but, usually a restaurant reviewer either has experience in the culinary field or has an accumulation of food appreciation. Yes, we all start somewhere, but what's your cred??? (feels funny for an old gal like me to say that, haha)

Think about it...if they didn't get their toques in a twist how effective would you feel? They should have blown you off and not responded at all. That they did puts you on the map. Press on, don't back off, and take yourself as seriously as you want the rest of us to.
          I actually don't have much to qualify myself as a "critic", which is why I never really gave myself that title on my site. I just wanted to write about the places that I eat so that other might be able to find some good food. I've had about 10 emails from readers who tried restaurant Ichiriki based on my review and loved it, which is what I really wanted to come out of my site.

But thank you for your advice. For anyone that knows me in person they know I have a thick skin. These comments being made will not, and will never, make me stop writing. I guess I'm just tired and got a little frustrated and needed a place to vent.

Hawaiithreads is a nice community to get support from methinks :P

Comment

It comes with the territory when you review anything. Sensitive souls need not apply. Restaurants or realtors or music. In a newspaper or on TV or with a blog. Particularly a blog, given the readership and the ease of responding.

And frankly, if you're starting a blog these days, you probably already knew that. But there's another longstanding truism about marketing and publicity...

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
              I'm not quite sure what you mean? You mean I should ignore the comments?
              Yeah. It works better that way, and you get to enjoy yourself.

Someone once said...'Don't write what you think they want to read, write what you want to say'.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

You've got to be true to your purpose as a writer, whatever the medium. You have enabled comments on your blog; therefore, you do care about that interactivity Internet publishing allows.

So I wouldn't tell you not to let it get to you, or as Susie suggests, turn comments off. Rather, I'd suggest you read the comments, take them in the spirit they are intended, walk a mile in the commenter's mocs, and then move on.

As a reviewer, you are conscious of the fact that people's livelihoods can be affected by what you write. However, you also understand that your readers are making decisions about their own hard-earned dollars. Not to care at all about the power your words have is uncool. You don't strike me as someone especially uncool, so DO consider what people have to say, and then either press on with your purpose, make adjustments to the way you say and do things, or quit altogether.

I am sure those aren't the only three possible reponses to this situation, but they're the ones that leap to my mind. I have a feeling that of these three, you'll choose the first!
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Par for the internet course, Dale. You'll never please 100% of the people 100% of the time. Some people just seem to feel safe hiding behind a computer screen. "Brent" wasn't over the top negative but he obviously didn't pay a lot of attention to your review. Even HT gets its share of misread posts!

If negative comments are a problem for you can you set your site up to not accept comments? I did this for my dad's blog 'cuz I didn't want any crackpots muddying up his memory.

Comment

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.

Comment

Ahhh... blog comments. Definitely not for the weak of heart. Heck, I got torched right out of the gate on my blog at the Bulletin - http://starbulletin.com/blogs/thepho...ichard-walker/ (scroll down the comments and watch the fun).

The way I look at it, people looking at flame comments will either think "yeah, he's got a point." Or, "geez, take a quaalude, man." I might not like all the comments on my blog, but that's why I have comments, to see what people are thinking. And the only stuff I won't post on there is blatant spam (quaaludes, anyone?) and anything with an inkling of libel.

So don't let it get you down. At least people are reading what you write.

Comment

this thread brings a smile to my face.

I remember the first time I posted a video response to a hot topic on youtube. I hid my face, and gave a decent effort to making coherent points.

This did not matter. That video post had 15K+ hits and a couple hundred comments--a great deal of them negative (considering this was a political issue, I wasn't surprised). I was called an a****** b****, c***, d*** and on and on. As thick skinned as I believe myself to be, and understanding full well all the keyboard courage going on, I still wanted to punch a face or two. But I didn't pull a "cyber-tita" attitude. I didn't counter-respond one time.

Goes with the territory.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                          It comes with the territory when you review anything. Sensitive souls need not apply. Restaurants or realtors or music. In a newspaper or on TV or with a blog. Particularly a blog, given the readership and the ease of responding.
                          Amen. In my current stint as a Hawaiian-music reviewer, I have made a conscious choice: given the limited space I have (once a month) and all the CDs that come out from Island musicians (avg. 350/year), if I don't really like a disc, I just don't give it column space. So, none of my reviews are particularly "negative" (though, even in a positive review, I may point out an element or aspect I don't like.) My editor goes along with this philosophy as well. I prefer to inform our readers (who are primarily here on the West Coast of the continent), rather than use the space to tear something down.

All my past reviews are archived here. (I mention that here, as it is not part of my signature.)

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                            I was called an a****** b****, c***, d*** and on and on.
                            Oh, I am so mad at myself for never thinking of a series of consecutive initials to represent profanities! Post of the week! Brilliant!

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            if I don't really like a disc, I just don't give it column space.
                            This is generally a good practice, I think, but what do you do when an especially notable disc has been released and you think it stinks? I can't think of a good example for Hawaiian music, but if, say, you were writing for some other publication and Led Zep put out a new album with Jason Bonham on drums, you'd HAVE to review it. Not reviewing doesn't do your readers any kind of favor -- they want to know what people think of the most notable release of the month (or whatever).
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              what do you do when an especially notable disc has been released and you think it stinks? I can't think of a good example for Hawaiian music
                              I can, but I won't say - because I did skip at least one major release by a major Hawaiian act, a couple years ago. I was just that disappointed in it. I don't think the lack of a review by me, in our regional Hawaiian-community monthly paper, will make much of an impact on the act's sales. (Though, I am pleased to say, several acts have mentioned to me that they saw a distinct bump in sales in this area, right after I did a review of their album.) The majority of releases I actively dislike are by lesser-known acts (and they are welcome to remain lesser-knowns.)

I'm not sure it's that much of a disservice - warning people away from something, as opposed to not even mentioning the hundreds of discs I can't even get to. But enough people in the local community here see me at public events, sometimes I get asked what I thought of such-and-such an album --- and I'll be honest with them in person, one-on-one, but I don't desire to make a big public stink.

But there may come a day when I have to face the scenario you describe, with something I can't ignore. If I had hated the new IZ orchestral disc, I think I would have had to say something in print. I'd probably try to be relatively diplomatic.

Comment

Working...
                              X