Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog's bounty show suspended for racism

Default Re: Dog's bounty show suspended for racism

I wish! But maybe I should approach A&E with a treatment given Dog's indefinite siesta.

This is also bad for his bail bonds business. Some folks may avoid him because they don't want to support a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaKine View Post
    This is also bad for his bail bonds business. Some folks may avoid him because they don't want to support a racist.
    Hmmm...my first thought is the folks who's business he attracts probably aren't all that concerned with whether or not they're supporting a racist. I could be wrong. As I said...that was my first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    Was there some announcement to that effect?
    So far, they just said that production was suspended. No word on airing existing shows or not, or on the overall future of the show.
    Yep!! And CBS radio also said they were "suspending" Don Imus for 2 weeks before eventually dropping the axe on him.

I think A&E's announcement amounts to the network keeping their options open and waiting to see if Dog can successfully ride this storm out,..... or not.

But even if A&E caves into the wrath of these civil rights groups calling for the show's cancellation, weep not a tear for the Chapman clan. Once he's off the air for a period of time and does a round of media appearances where he expresses the requisite amount of contrition for his racial slurs, I'm sure another network will be more than happy to give a "repentant" Dog a second chance. Bet on it!
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; November 2nd, 2007 at 07:33 PM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Hmmm...my first thought is the folks who's business he attracts probably aren't all that concerned with whether or not they're supporting a racist. I could be wrong. As I said...that was my first thought.
    If they are themselves are of that race, then I think yes. In prison, race is often a major issue and it is not uncommon for prisoners to form race based gangs for protection and power. That's how it is on the mainland, so my guess is that it is similar here.

Quote Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
    Perhaps there may be a concern that Dog & Co. may be more hesitant about going after criminals of a certain race because of this highly publicized incident?

Sucks to be a celeb.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Well I guess that son won't get anything come inheritance time
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

[QUOTE=MixedPlateBroker;172722] But what kind of ratings would a show about a Samoan bounty hunter busting white people in Utah generate?/QUOTE]

Aw come on is it that bad at BYU/Hawaii?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

kamuelakea Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    I hope most of you read Lee Cataluna's column today in the Advertiser. She's hit the proverbial nail on its proverbial head.
    I don't think she hit the nail, I think she went in a different direction.

First of all, for the record, I have NEVER seen the Dog's show. I don't have cable and I detest most of TV, Hollywood etc. So I am not affected by the "hypocrit" arguement that Lee Cataluna seems to be making. I agree with her implications if the assumptions about the Dog and his show are true but I don't think they have much to do with this topic. And further, is Lee Cataluna really shocked that a big haole TV SHOW ACTOR with long blond hair and a halloween outfit that he wears everywhere is actually not what he proclaims to be? Hello Lee Honey. You are usually more akamai than that. He's an actor. I would assume 99% of what I see is B.S. That's the job of an entertainer. No?

Lee Cataluna's hypocrisy is not the reason Dog's show is being pulled and he may lose his future income stream. The reason he may lose his job is that he used the dreaded "N" word in PRIVATE with his SON.

If everyone on this list lost their job because they uttered or even thought a racial pejorative, there would be few left on www.hawaiithreads.com with a job. I know I would be the first to go. In fact, I submit that Hawaii's people as a group are probably more guilty of using racial pejoratives (albeit usually silently to themselves) more than any other people of a single state in the country, maybe the world. Afterall, hawaii may be the least racist place in the world but it is surely the most racial.

Meanwhile the "N" word is used everyday in Hollywood movies, on TV, on radio, in songs, blasted on the streets and even used by congressional democrats.

But none of those are a problem.

Somting stinks here.
    Last edited by kamuelakea; November 3rd, 2007 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Yep!! And CBS radio also said they were "suspending" Don Imus for 2 weeks before eventually dropping the axe on him.

I think A&E's announcement amounts to the network keeping their options open and waiting to see if Dog can successfully ride this storm out,..... or not.

But even if A&E caves into the wrath of these civil rights groups calling for the show's cancellation, weep not a tear for the Chapman clan. Once he's off the air for a period of time and does a round of media appearances where he expresses the requisite amount of contrition for his racial slurs, I'm sure another network will be more than happy to give a "repentant" Dog a second chance. Bet on it!
    And Imus is back to work, on another network, a year later.

Your speculation meshes with mine. I think A+E will drop him, he'll write a book, and show up in some new series, all in the course of the next year-and-a-half.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    And Imus is back to work, on another network, a year later.

Your speculation meshes with mine. I think A+E will drop him, he'll write a book, and show up in some new series, all in the course of the next year-and-a-half.
    Nope. He hauna already. Spoiled and Stinky. Not worth da Kala like he was before. His true colors came out and he was his own destroyer. It was just a matter of time foa truth to come out. People lil dat are phonies. Dey live in glass houses which easily break.

Good foa da SOB!

HAHAHAHAHAHAA

Auntie Pupule
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Talking Re: Dog's bounty show suspended for racism

Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
    Nope. He hauna already. Spoiled and Stinky. Not worth da Kala like he was before. His true colors came out and he was his own destroyer. It was just a matter of time foa truth to come out. People lil dat are phonies. Dey live in glass houses which easily break.

Good foa da SOB!

HAHAHAHAHAHAA

Auntie Pupule
    Lucky ting you don't know my true kala, or what goes on in my head everyday. I make Lucifer look like a cub scout.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Lucky ting you don't know my true kala, or what goes on in my head everyday. I make Lucifer look like a cub scout.

I rebuke you by the Blood and Name of Jesus Christ the Son of God!

Auntie Lynn

That Jesus scares me.

No Jesus Pictures from now on.

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

Quote Originally Posted by mediababy67 View Post
    That Jesus scares me.

well, we can't have warm and fuzzy forgiving jesus all the time. sometimes we need wrathy-spooky-he's-always-watching-and-omg-i'd-rather-not-tick-him-off-jesus, too.

certain jesus pics are more disturbing to look at than dog chapman himself is.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Exclamation Re: Dog's bounty show suspended for racism

Doesn't the Bible have something to say about taking delicious pleasure in someone else's misfortune?

I'm not a Dog fan. And to be sure, his "true" character is the focus of this controversy, versus the warm and fuzzy reformed ex-con cartoon character he plays on TV.

But frankly I think this whole flap is ridiculous. He is a cartoon character, on many levels, and that this is suddenly a big serious deal is goofy to me. It's like finding out that Carrot Top made fun of Scientologists. Who cares? Besides, as the saying goes, "Up close, no one looks good." I sincerely doubt all his many critics can say, with a clear conscience, that they've never said hateful things in the heat of the moment.

That he can go from stupid comments in a private phone call (captured and released via treachery within his family, for profit and with malicious intent) to being expected to grovel at the national trough of popular culture is sad. The only thing Americans like than larger-than-life heroes is seeing them squashed like bugs.

Post Re: Dog's bounty show suspended for racism

I feel that there's a "BIG" difference between someone promoting a racist agenda in public and a heated private discussion.

We have all said things while pissed off that we regret... be it racial based or otherwise.
    Hopefully the other person involved in the conversation forgave.
    I don't get so worked up over that.

Now on the otherhand...
    ANY racially based organization or individual that puts down another race in public is unacceptable to me. Be honest and realize how much of that is truly going on in Hawaii. Even though we all seem to peacably get along in the street.
    Of course the mainland too.

Hmmm...

Sorry folks, I actually didn't complete the task at hand.
    I don't watch "Dog", but also don't think he should have to pay so dearly for the comments made. IMO
    Last edited by Menehune Man; November 4th, 2007 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Add "Dog" response
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
    Doesn't the Bible have something to say about taking delicious pleasure in someone else's misfortune?
    I don't know about the Bible, but the German language has a word for it: schadenfreude.

I think the reason people are freaking out is that Chapman was promoted as some sort of role model. He would go out and save humanity by reeling in the the bail jumpers and crack heads, while giving smokey sermons in the back of dark SUVs. For whatever reason, there were people who looked up to him. He made a career of supposedly "being a good guy."

Once he took on this A&E show, and began cultivating this "persona" he should have known that he would be held up to higher standards. It also appears he knew it, too.

That's just my theory.

Of course, he's more than free to say anything he wants. It's just that now his money fountain has dried up given that nobody (namely sponsors) wants anything to do with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ericncyn View Post
    well, we can't have warm and fuzzy forgiving jesus all the time. sometimes we need wrathy-spooky-he's-always-watching-and-omg-i'd-rather-not-tick-him-off-jesus, too.

certain jesus pics are more disturbing to look at than dog chapman himself is.
    better watch out, ericncyn! your above post was #666.

Quote Originally Posted by mediababy67 View Post
    better watch out, ericncyn! your above post was #666.

not even! it's post #91! *sticks tongue at you*

besides, i don't buy that revelations/numbers crap. according to the biblical scholars i find credible (in other words, the biblical scholars who don't believe in a coming rapture, which, by the way, is never mentioned in the bible), (1) what is now the book of revelations is one book of many of its time that were apocalyptic (kinda how like chick lit is a popular type of literature now) and (2) such books were written as a "release" and response to the very oppressive rule of the romans, particularly nero, whose name, when translated into the numerology techniques from then, is triple six.

but it wouldn't take a numerologist to figure out that dog's show would have been canceled due to some self-afflicted trouble, sooner or later. maybe someday i'll be able to share with you a couple stories about hybrid films, the company that produces "dog the bounty hunter." i'll just say that the producers didn't exactly leave me with a favorable impression. neither did their lawyers. *smirk*
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Unhappy Re: Dog's bounty show suspended for racism

Quote Originally Posted by Menehune Man View Post
    Hopefully the other person involved in the conversation forgave.
    Maybe you’re describing a conversation somewhat similar to the Chapmans, in a very broad sense. Because if I was Duane Chapman, it would probably take me years to forgive. His son Tucker sold him out and brought shame to the family. To me, that is worse then Duane’s use of the N-word in a private conversation.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Quote Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
    Maybe you’re describing a conversation somewhat similar to the Chapmans, in a very broad sense. Because if I was Duane Chapman, it would probably take me years to forgive. His son Tucker sold him out and brought shame to the family. To me, that is worse then Duane’s use of the N-word in a private conversation.
    in my opinion, dog has no room to hold grudges against his son, if for no other reason than what he reaped is what he's sowing. if he had been a better parent/role model, it's likely that tucker never would have done what he did. i'm not saying that all sins of all sons are the fault of the fathers, but in this case, i think it applies.

flatly put: it's not surprising that a young man who sells his father out to a tabloid was raised by the kind of man who believes it's okay to use the n-word in the way dog did in the phone conversation, even if it's "just in private" and "in anger."

Quote Originally Posted by ericncyn View Post
    not even! it's post #91! *sticks tongue at you*
    The poster meant that was your 666th post on HT.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast