Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urban chickens

Default Urban chickens

I've been seeing more chickens in town lately. I've seen plenty of chickens in vacant lots by the Children's Museum in Kaka'ako. I've seen chickens on the grass by Queens Medical Center, and by the Hawaii Housing Authority buildings on School Street by Lanakila. I wonder why. Has anyone else noticed this?

Default Re: Urban chickens

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I've been seeing more chickens in town lately. I've seen plenty of chickens in vacant lots by the Children's Museum in Kaka'ako. I've seen chickens on the grass by Queens Medical Center, and by the Hawaii Housing Authority buildings on School Street by Lanakila. I wonder why. Has anyone else noticed this?

as opposed to harris's expensive want to have rather than need to have ideas, this is the new cheaper combination program of Mufi's to both beautify the town and feel the homeless.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

How can you tell an urban chicken from a country chicken?

The urban chicken presses the walk button before crossing the street

How come the mongoose and all the feral cats don't eat the chickens? I heard that Kaua'i doesn't have mongoose and they've got lots of chickens over there.

because mongoose only eat the eggs. Over here at the Keaau Transfer station there are cats and chickens living together in peace. If chickens and cats can why can't we?

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
    Over here there are cats and chickens living together

dissGRACEful!

How can you tell an urban chicken from a country chicken?

The urban chicken presses the walk button before crossing the street

ok.
    how can you tell a local chicken from a tourist chicken, crossing da street in Waikiki?

Easy!
    there are NO local chickens in Waikiki.
    and
    da tourist chickens all jaywalk!

Chicken and da wild puss-y
    Live together in per-feck har-mo-ny
    Side by side on da ci-ty side-walk
    Try spock, lunch fo free!

How can you tell a local chicken from a non-local chicken?

When the non-local chicken applies for work at Koala Moa Chicken on the advice from the local chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by kimo55
    dissGRACEful!

What came first the pussy or the egg!

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Chicken and da wild puss-y
    Live together in per-feck har-mo-ny
    Side by side on da ci-ty side-walk
    Try spock, lunch fo free!
    da pussy fulla chiv-al-ry;
    saying "no take heem, take me!"
    I eatum both; steh greedy
    now, full.. was so yumm-mee!

no cook me i goin run away!! <Rap Reiplinger's Auntie Marialani voice>

You guys are funny! But seriously, are there really more chickens around town these days?

You guys are funny! But seriously, are there really more chickens around town these days?
    You expect a serious answer from these guys?

Of course there are more chickens in town lately, because there's more roads to cross! Ha ha ha ha ha Oh man we're on a roll....

Nah but seriously, when Iniki hit Kauai back in 92, it dispersed a lot of chickens all over that county, that's why there's so many out and around Kauai.

As for Oahu, I don't know but now with HPD cracking down on cock fighting, maybe da owners are just letting them loose?

no cook me i goin run away!! <Rap Reiplinger's Auntie Marialani voice>
    I forgot about that part hah! I wonder if town chickens get along with country chickens; or if they act differently at all?

They taste like rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
    How come the mongoose and all the feral cats don't eat the chickens? I heard that Kaua'i doesn't have mongoose and they've got lots of chickens over there.
    You ever tangle with one of those moa? Sheesh, they're aggressive little buggers. We went up to Kokee Lodge a couple of years ago. I went to the little gift shop and bought some bird feed. Had ucka plenty moa running around in the parking lot. Man, the minute I walked outside and they spock dat manini bag of feed...Ho! was like one attack of locusts! I had some feed in my hand and dis really handsome cock saw the feed. He didn't even wait for me to throw the feed on the ground...he just flew up, ricochetted off my head, perched on my arm and pecked the feed out of the palm of my hand (I get one picture of this). Those birds have no fear. A mongoose wouldn't stand a chance against a moa.

Miulang

P.S. we get plenty loose rabbits in one of our local parks. Unwanted Easter presents, I think. Now they've multiplied to the point where maybe somebody should "harvest" some and turn them into stew!
    Last edited by Miulang; August 4th, 2005 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cezanne
    I wonder if town chickens get along with country chickens; or if they act differently at all?

town chickens say with pompous yuppie pretense:
    "I am a townie"
    and da country chicken slash em up wit da cockfight razah!

Yo! I mean Nes!

Nah but seriously, when Iniki hit Kauai back in 92, it dispersed a lot of chickens all over that county, that's why there's so many out and around Kauai.
    Actually the chickens started to roam after Iwa in 1982. I had the impression that a major chicken farm located in Koloa was responsible but I suspect other smaller non-commerical chicken coops around the island got wiped out and let those chickens loose.

Granted they seem to be part of the landscape now but I think there are enough predators to keep the chickens in balance.

As for Oahu, I don't know but now with HPD cracking down on cock fighting, maybe da owners are just letting them loose?
    No idea where the Oahu chickens are from but I have seen one last year at Ala Moana Beach Park and more recently around the Queen's Hospital area. One thing I do notice is that the Oahu chickens are either alone or they are adults. The ones on Kauai you can see a hen with 3 to 5 chicks following her around.

Been making trips to Windward Community College since last year and I sort of noticed a whole bunch of chickens that inhabit the grounds of the campus. No idea where they came from or how long they have been there (never seen them during the rocket launches).

Odd, I was just thinking that there are less chickens around, particularly in Pearl City. I was wondering if someone was hired (or just took it upon themselves) to round up all the feral chickens.

Urban chickens?
    Are those the ones with street cred?
    I did notice that there were less chickens roaming around on Kauai a couple weeks ago. I don't know how edible those chickens are. But in this economy, some people might be eating them.

Da moa on Kaua`i gone up to Waimea Canyon chasing my husband for that one scoop rice!! Oh, and dey stay at Kokee Lodge, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast