Million-dollar mansions just ain't what they used to be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Million-dollar mansions just ain't what they used to be

$65.00 is not the median hourly pay in Kona, or Hawaii or anywhere else.

Under that, and you might not qualify for a home in Kona.

You are rude. I think we should build over your grandparents grave in The Bay Area.

Buy the cemetery. Add some dirt. Build what you like. My grandma is not there. Really. The great city of Rome is built on layer after layer of bones. Bones are ubiquitous on planet Earth. If we, as a society, choose not to build where we find bones, then the whole planet is off limits. If you buried grandma in the back yard, and then you moved, you took your pots & pans, your car, your cat. Why leave grandma behind?? Especially if you care about her so much.

The only way to compromise on the bones issue is to do what others before have done. Leave the bones where they are. Add a few feet of dirt so they stay covered forever. Build on.

If you had to choose between building a school for your child, or preserving the bones that lie in the location of the proposed school, would you choose to cling to the past or embrace the future?

Oh, I see, you have a problem with people having opinions and participating in the democratic process

Only when their only answer to anything is NO.

You're a genius man.

Correct.

;-)P
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona

You are rude. I think we should build over your grandparents grave in The Bay Area.

Buy the cemetery. Add some dirt. Build what you like.

Since you don't care about your grandmothers bones, where is she buried exactly? I'm sure you wouldn't mind telling us since you dont give a damn about her or her remains.

Comment

Sure you would Timkona. Its called interest only, negative amortization, Adjustible, no docs,.... whatever. You and your kind can find a way.

Once again genius, if almost no one in Kona is earning 65/hr = 130000/year, and by your professional account, earning less would mean "you might not qualify for a [legitimate loan] for a home in Kona" then by golly we have a bubble, OR Kona will cease to exist as a place for anyone other than the super rich and pathetically poor. The latter less probable than your 18 year predicted price appreciation.

Oh, I forgot, its different now, its the demographically fueled permanent plateau, that's right.

Hhahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahah.

I feel sorry for your victims.
        Last edited by kamuelakea; March 8, 2006, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Kona will cease to exist as a place for anyone other than the super rich and pathetically poor. The latter less probable than your 18 year predicted price appreciation.

The Politics of NO virtually guarantees that Kona will be a place for the rich. It's ironic that most who practice the politics of NO do not realize that they exclude only themselves by way of rising prices and restricted supply.

2017 is my prediction....how's your math?

Ignorance is the weapon used by the poor to keep themselves down. But mirrors are never used when trying to assign blame for poverty. It's not politically correct.

Kamuelakea, you are fascinating to me. Are you a baby boomer? Grandma's bones are in an overgrown, longsince abandoned, corner of Cypress Hill, in Sonoma County, CA. But I have a nice photo of her on my wall.
          Last edited by timkona; March 9, 2006, 07:17 AM. Reason: add a sentence
          FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

The Politics of NO virtually guarantees that Kona will be a place for the rich. It's ironic that most who practice the politics of NO do not realize that they exclude only themselves by way of rising prices and restricted supply.
            Tim I agree with your view 110%, the politics of No is killing us and this island
            frankly. It has been frustrating me a long time about the certain "fringe" element
            that torpedos projects.
            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
            The Kona Blog

Comment

Aloha Aaron....You and I are the generation that will be the cleanup crew after the parade known as the baby boomers is done shittin all over the future...my favorite hypocrites are the growth protesters who bring their children to the meetings.

Hoover generation built a huge damn
              Eisenhower built the interstate highway system

Boomers can't point to very many LARGE infrastructure improvements in the last 30 years. The reason for this is that their small thinking minds have been trained to protest everything. This attitude of small thinking permeates the islands like a deadly virus.

But feel-good, utopian Boomers honestly think they are doing all the right things.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Aloha Aaron....You and I are the generation that will be the cleanup crew after the parade known as the baby boomers is done shittin all over the future...my favorite hypocrites are the growth protesters who bring their children to the meetings.

Hoover generation built a huge damn
                Eisenhower built the interstate highway system

Boomers can't point to very many LARGE infrastructure improvements in the last 30 years. The reason for this is that their small thinking minds have been trained to protest everything. This attitude of small thinking permeates the islands like a deadly virus.

But feel-good, utopian Boomers honestly think they are doing all the right things.
                OK Tim, if us makule Boomers are still alive in 30 years, we'll come back and ask you if you still feel the same way you do today. My bet is you won't because once you start having a family and kids (or are you one of those "selfish" ZPG people?) all of a sudden your priorities shift and you'll start worrying about the mess you're going to leave behind for your kids. And if you don't, then you're a damned selfish person.

Miulang

BTW: I'm not so sure Aaron agrees with you 100%. He was born and raised in the 'aina, and you weren't. He has been instilled with thoughts of trying to save whatever farmland is left. That's not what YOU want, is it?
                Last edited by Miulang; March 9, 2006, 11:54 AM.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Oh Miulang....you and kamuelakea must have gone to different high schools together

My #1 mission is the preservation of ag/open space. That's why I'm a big proponent of very tall buildings. You have read many of my posts to this forum. You should know where I stand on several issues. On top of that, Aaron and I agree on most topics.

I am from Sonoma County, where low-density growth patterns have plowed under vineyards and dairy cattle. It's cognitive dissonance to promote low-density growth AND the preservation ag land. Orange County has no oranges left, but they do have a building height restriction. And now the land is covered in 1 story living environments.

Logic is anathema to a dogmatist.

My daughter is only 5, but she laughed out loud when I read your post to her.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Oh Miulang....you and kamuelakea must have gone to different high schools together

My #1 mission is the preservation of ag/open space. That's why I'm a big proponent of very tall buildings. You have read many of my posts to this forum. You should know where I stand on several issues. On top of that, Aaron and I agree on most topics.

I am from Sonoma County, where low-density growth patterns have plowed under vineyards and dairy cattle. It's cognitive dissonance to promote low-density growth AND the preservation ag land. Orange County has no oranges left, but they do have a building height restriction. And now the land is covered in 1 story living environments.

Logic is anathema to a dogmatist.

My daughter is only 5, but she laughed out loud when I read your post to her.
                    Why even have the tall buildings when the land and the infrastructure won't support the growth? If you are from Sonoma County, which has some very beautiful countryside, why the heck are you promoting the growth of development in the first place? I hope you're teaching your daughter to respect the land and try to preserve it. I hope you're teaching your child to respect others and their opinions (which is something you haven't learned). It's OK to disagree, but the louder one yells, the less likely others will be to listen.

Would you be one of the first people to buy into a 250-unit condo if you had the choice? I doubt it. That kind of living is for "other folk", isn't it?

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Would you be one of the first people to buy into a 250-unit condo

LOL....i will just stick with my studio condo in Hilo on the bayfront. 5th Floor

A little research into the subject of "Smart-Growth" would serve you well. It's sometimes referred to as New Urbanism on the internet.

"Opinions", "Beliefs", and "I think" are all qualifiers for sentences spoken by people who do not know what they are talking about. The answers are already out there when it comes to urban planning and social science. Answers have been known for about 12-15 years. Academia has discovered the "wrong" decisions. Building Height restricitions are certainly one of the wrong decisions.

My favorite people are the one's that don't listen. LOL. Seems as though Hawaii is rife with those types.

I must say that this Hawaii Thread Forum is entertaining as they come.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Would you be one of the first people to buy into a 250-unit condo

LOL....i will just stick with my studio condo in Hilo on the bayfront. 5th Floor

A little research into the subject of "Smart-Growth" would serve you well. It's sometimes referred to as New Urbanism on the internet.

"Opinions", "Beliefs", and "I think" are all qualifiers for sentences spoken by people who do not know what they are talking about. The answers are already out there when it comes to urban planning and social science. Answers have been known for about 12-15 years. Academia has discovered the "wrong" decisions. Building Height restricitions are certainly one of the wrong decisions.

My favorite people are the one's that don't listen. LOL. Seems as though Hawaii is rife with those types.

I must say that this Hawaii Thread Forum is entertaining as they come.
                        I'm all for controlled growth, so long as that growth can be supported by the infrastructure and the natural resources because short of building a high fence, there's no way to stop growth completely. Any logical person would want that. Do you? Would you want your building torn down to make way for a 20-story development?

Miulang

Comment

Would you want your building torn down to make way for a 20-story development?

Do i get one of the condos on the fifth floor when its finished?
                          Do i get compensated at market value for my condo if not?

Then sure. Tear it down. Build something better. I'm a futurist, so you gotta be careful askin me questions like that.

I'm all for controlled growth,

The only way to control growth is to control the reproduction rate of the human species. Got Kids?
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Would you want your building torn down to make way for a 20-story development?

Do i get one of the condos on the fifth floor when its finished?
                            Do i get compensated at market value for my condo if not?

Then sure. Tear it down. Build something better. I'm a futurist, so you gotta be careful askin me questions like that.

I'm all for controlled growth,

The only way to control growth is to control the reproduction rate of the human species. Got Kids?
                            No, I don't have kids, BUT YOU DO hahahahahaha!. I am also a futurist, and the future is looking pretty damned bleak for the world right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                              BTW: I'm not so sure Aaron agrees with you 100%. He was born and raised in the 'aina, and you weren't. He has been instilled with thoughts of trying to save whatever farmland is left. That's not what YOU want, is it?
                              I agree for the most part of Tim's views on the "Politics of No." Don't get
                              me wrong I support protecting important ag lands and slowing the paving
                              over of paradise. But on the flip side, a facet of the community in one example holds therest of the community hostage for 6 years."Politics of no" alive and well.Another example, I wrote a letter to the editor about the poor conditionof Kona Int'l Airport.Guess what I got 8 negative respones, like "if you want jetways so badly move back to the mainland." Problem is I've never lived
                              on the mainland .Another example of Politics Of No at work.
                              Last edited by Aaron S; March 9, 2006, 01:19 PM.
                              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                                I agree for the most part of Tim's views on the "Politics of No." Don't get
                                me wrong I support protecting important ag lands and slowing the paving
                                over of paradise. But on the flip side, a facet of the community in one example holds therest of the community hostage for 6 years."Politics of no" alive and well.Another example, I wrote a letter to the editor about the poor conditionof Kona Int'l Airport.Guess what I got 8 negative respones, like "if you want jetways so badly move back to the mainland." Another example of Politics Of No at work.
                                There are always going to be "NIMBY" types. Did any of the people who sent you negative responses explain why they didn't think it was a good idea? Those are the kinds of people who have given careful thought to their reactions and maybe, just maybe they might have some valid reasons for their responses. The ones who just say "NO" without offering some alternatives are the ones I object to. If you can say "no" and give evidence to back up your opinion, then it's an opinion I want to hear.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X